There are 243 users in the forums

So I just watched several 49er games on NFL Rewind

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wonder how many times in the history of the nfl playoffs that a team has given up FIVE turnovers but still had the lead with less then two minutes remaining in the game.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
I wonder how many times in the history of the nfl playoffs that a team has given up FIVE turnovers but still had the lead with less then two minutes remaining in the game.

We exposed the Saints for who they are. A very good/great offensive team, with a very average defense. We had a equally good defensive team to combat their offense for most of the game. Our offense closed it out for us against their average defense. Still one helluva game by Smith and VD towards the end.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
We exposed the Saints for who they are. A very good/great offensive team, with a very average defense. We had a equally good defensive team to combat their offense for most of the game. Our offense closed it out for us against their average defense. Still one helluva game by Smith and VD towards the end.

I think Williams backed off too much but either way we will have to get better because I think Saints with Spagnolo as DC will be better. I guess it depends on which of the following they can all get Brees, Nicks, Tracy Porter, Colston and Meachem.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Mostly some games '09, '10, and one or two from this year that I missed....

Observations:

1. Josh Morgan is better than Crabtree for sure in the short and intermediate passing game. One of his big receptions against the Seahawks last year in the 40-21 blowout had #1 WR route running technique and breakaway -- an out to the sideline, catch and cut back in for a big gain. I saw some of his stuff early this year and he was very solid, and you can tell who he is even without the jersey #.

BTW, I foresee an epic smashing of the Giants the way we did Seattle in that game.

2. Takeo Spikes, Shawntae Spencer - all made big plays on defense. I didn't watch every game from '09 and '10, but it seemed the few that I did all had INTs by these two. I guess the salary demands of these guys are too high, because it seems like they would bring good depth to our team.

Although I forget who it was who fumbled that pick against ATL.

3. Frank Gore - Those 2 long TDs against Seattle in '09 (79 & 80 yards) came from power formations against a stacked box. Unbelievable!! I hope we can find another guy so we can still have that great big play ability from GIRE!!!!

4. Tim Tebow scored a TD against us in the London game.......lol.

5. Watching the Cincinatti game this year, it really highlighted what we would find out later in the season - if we produce on offense, we will KILL teams. Man the offense looked very out of sync that game, but we still won because our D & ST were great. 0 TDs for Andy Dalton and crew.

Will watch some more. This Game Rewind is the ish......great value, and not as addicting as I would have feared. A nice thing to have handy when you want some football.

1) I dunno if I would say he's better than Crabtree, but he's DIFFERNT than Crabtree. Morgan has serious speed issues, but he works hard and is very good underneath and can be elusive and break tackles. He also blocks downfield. Morgan is a "must resign".

2) Takeo wasn't let go because he wasn't producing. He was let go because he was getting old, Navorro looked good, and the Chargers were willing to pay him. Spencer has always been a solid player, but he just won't play enough to justify 3 Million in cap space.

3) The Frank Gore runs were so long BECAUSE it was a stacked box. When a D stacks the box they are selling out to stop the run...but if you break through, there is nobody back there to catch him. That's why you will see guys get the ball on 3rd or 4th and 1 and take it the distance sometimes....if you get by the line, you are going to be running for a long time.

It is impressive that he got through, but ALL of his long runs that year were similar. 1 yard. 0 yards. 1 yard loss. 2 yards. 80 yards and a TD. That's just the way it works.

4) I refuse to say that QB in Denvers name. WAY, WAY too much attention to a mediocre QB.

5) Yes.

Not a pretty enough win for you huh? Only pretty wins count.

In the 1982 SB, the Bengals had 4 turnovers and yet could have won had it not been for the famous 49ers goal line stand.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

^ lol i found that extremely funny

it's crazy how people complain about wins...shoulda won by more shoulda this shoulda that...a win is a win.
I'm going to have to blow the BS horn on this a little. Say what you want but Crabs was better than Morgan from the first game he played. I think we get a little frustrated with Crabs at times but he is hands down the better WR if your trying to compare the two without taking salary and draft slot into play. Morgan is a better value I will agree.
Still can't watch the Giants playoff game. LOL. Still too painful and disturbing. Will probably never watch even though I have NFL Rewind....

II watched it the other night, I had to get over it. Our D kicked the s**t out of them, plain and simple.

agreed, for me it was payback for when we turned it over 5 times vs them a year earlier and the great drew brees only beat us a last second fg despite a +5 TO margin

Didn't we have five turnovers in the 81' NFC Championship?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
We scored the same amount of points as the Pats did vs NYG doe

So what? The niners were playing at home and the SF defense played much better then the Pats.

the Pats played them at a neutral site and have a QB who I do not think you will argue is "elite."
One could just as easily claim we should have lost to the saints. Saints with FIVE turnovers yet they had the lead until Alex threw that td to Vernon with 9 seconds left.

Well, some could call "the Throw and Catch" a "lucky" play, but at the same time... the Jimmy Graham play could probably be seen as a "lucky" play. You have Jimmy Graham walking into the end zone with both Patrick Willis AND Donte Whitner in close proximity to him?

But anyway, we won that game straight-up. No hypotheticals, in my opinion. There weren't any fluke calls, I think. The Saints put up points, but they turned the ball over a lot. With good field position, we scored points ourselves. In the end, the only surprising thing was that the offense was able to score two drives late in the game like that. Wasn't expecting them to win in that fashion. Our normal "formula" was the first 55 minutes of the game, and then hold the opposing offense. We weren't able to hold on defense, but luckily the offense made up for that.
Originally posted by walker807:
I'm going to have to blow the BS horn on this a little. Say what you want but Crabs was better than Morgan from the first game he played. I think we get a little frustrated with Crabs at times but he is hands down the better WR if your trying to compare the two without taking salary and draft slot into play. Morgan is a better value I will agree.

Josh Morgan is a better value than Crabtree and I like his selflessness. But Crabtree is a better receiver. The thing going for Morgan though is that he has way better chemistry with Alex Smith than Crabtree done.

If Crabtree had the same chemistry that Morgan does, Crabtree would've been a 1000 yard receiver and, quite possibly, would've been a bigger contributor in the NFC Championship.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
A question or 2 for those who have nfl rewind. How long are the games and do you get to watch every play? Thanks in advance.
Share 49ersWebzone