LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 135 users in the forums

Harbaugh and company treated this game like a glorified practice and we still dominated

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Gore had 24 carries. he didn't get s**t for rest, no matter how early he came out.

Out of 49 rushes though dude. There have been games where he gets 90% of the carries.

the percentage is meaningless. he had 24 carries, easily above his season average. that's not rest.

Particularly not with the way Mr. Gore runs.

and with the hitting in this game. this was a violent, hardhitting game. That was not a walk in the park 24 carries. Those were hard fought carries.

I never said they weren't hard fought carries. But if you look at all the carries that Hunter and Dixon got, and those could've easily gone to Gore. It seemed like more of those were in the 4th q or atleast 2nd half. Gore has had plenty of games with 30+ carries. AlL I said is that they could've used him more and they gave some other guys chances, which basically equates to some rest. Gore usually gets the vast majority of the carries, not about half. I wasn't watching the game as closely as I usually do anyway, since I had family over. But I don't see what the big deal is. He got a little bit of rest. We threw deep more and used our back up RBs a little more. Just my opinion. It seemed like they used this game to experiment a bit and not like they were 100% focusing on picking AZ apart.

Frank has played in 94 games and in only 13 of those did he have more carries than he did today. He's only had two games of 30+ carries in his career--and one of them was this year.

they could have used him more in this game, and it was smart not to. No reason to expose him to more punishment. But 24 carries is not rest just because there was the potential to carry more.
Opening up that play book with some of these plays, we still looking for our ceiling, havent hit it yet. I'd rather they air out these plays now and get some practice into them then have a hand full of a brand new plays in the playoffs.
Originally posted by kray28:
We could have dominated the way the Tards kept turning it over....but I think we fell a bit short of the type of performance you'd call "dominant".

Gotta love homer excuse threads like these though.

homer excuse? WTF? We seemed to have more of an experimental game plan than normal. I honestly felt like if we had taken the Cards seriously that it would've been like the TB game. If you disagree just say so but no need to have a condescending attitude or say I'm making excuses. Excuses for who?
we had the ball for something like 43 minutes. I'm sure that exceeded the gameplan a little bit. Our defense choked them out.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Gore had 24 carries. he didn't get s**t for rest, no matter how early he came out.

Out of 49 rushes though dude. There have been games where he gets 90% of the carries.

the percentage is meaningless. he had 24 carries, easily above his season average. that's not rest.

Particularly not with the way Mr. Gore runs.

and with the hitting in this game. this was a violent, hardhitting game. That was not a walk in the park 24 carries. Those were hard fought carries.

I never said they weren't hard fought carries. But if you look at all the carries that Hunter and Dixon got, and those could've easily gone to Gore. It seemed like more of those were in the 4th q or atleast 2nd half. Gore has had plenty of games with 30+ carries. AlL I said is that they could've used him more and they gave some other guys chances, which basically equates to some rest. Gore usually gets the vast majority of the carries, not about half. I wasn't watching the game as closely as I usually do anyway, since I had family over. But I don't see what the big deal is. He got a little bit of rest. We threw deep more and used our back up RBs a little more. Just my opinion. It seemed like they used this game to experiment a bit and not like they were 100% focusing on picking AZ apart.

Frank has played in 94 games and in only 13 of those did he have more carries than he did today. He's only had two games of 30+ carries in his career--and one of them was this year.

they could have used him more in this game, and it was smart not to. No reason to expose him to more punishment. But 24 carries is not rest just because there was the potential to carry more.

The bold is what I was saying though. You've checked your stats and know your stuff but it just seemed like he got some rest considering how much I saw the back up RBs in. No need to make more of it than that. But you got to admit it seemed like we opened the playbook up and stuff. This team almost never throws it 38 times, and we took some deep shots etc too.
Atleast IMO. We threw downfield a lot more with some mixed results, and it seemed like we ran less of our normal stuff. We were able to rest Gore for the most part, and we were kind of sloppy on special teams. Still, 16 PT win is pretty good.

don't think we have normal stuff
Nice job by Harbaugh and Co.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
The rain really f**ked us up too. The field goal unit threw away 9 points, which makes it 32-7. The high throws and drops could have been a result of the rain...

And the cold. It was snowing...
We could have dominated the way the Tards kept turning it over....but I think we fell a bit short of the type of performance you'd call "dominant".

Best quote of the day. Homers!!!! Ther are plenty on his board. This team is good, not great.
Originally posted by whatawegot:

Best quote of the day. Homers!!!! Ther are plenty on his board. This team is good, not great.

IIRC you were one of the people predicting doom and gloom before the season, now you're not happy with 9-1???

there are plenty of trolls on this board as well.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

there are plenty of trolls on this board as well.

The bold is what I was saying though. You've checked your stats and know your stuff but it just seemed like he got some rest considering how much I saw the back up RBs in. No need to make more of it than that. But you got to admit it seemed like we opened the playbook up and stuff. This team almost never throws it 38 times, and we took some deep shots etc too.

sorry dude, your line of thinking is completely illogical. He had a chance to sit on the bench, which is fine, which is good, but he still had the second most carries he's had this season. He averaged 3.6 YPC which means that those were difficult, "cloud of dust" kind of carries for the most part. Obviously the chance to sit for the 4th QTR or however long he sat is great, because that means we were winning, but its not really different than if he had played the entire game and had the same amount of carries.

we agree that having the luxury of bringing him out of the game is a positive, we just disagree that it constitutes as rest.
for whatever the reason though, this team does treat games against the Browns, the Skins, the Cardinals, etc, as different than against the Lions and the Giants. IDK if its a glorified practice or what--I find it hard to believe, though, that they are not talking games seriously and are still able to dominate.

but it does seem like these kinds of games almost have some kind of ulterior motive beside the game itself. IDK. It could just be the myth that Harbaugh has created, or that we've created about him, about being the genius that is ten steps ahead of everyone that is hiding the fact that we are playing down to opponents, or soemthing.

This argument has merit because of the limits implemented by the CBA to the amount and type of practice each week. If the coaching staff recognized that the opponent was manageable, why not? Of course they would never say this in public and give Arizona bulletin board fodder.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
we had the ball for something like 43 minutes. I'm sure that exceeded the gameplan a little bit. Our defense choked them out.

44:13 to be exact
Share 49ersWebzone