LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 582 users in the forums

Joshua Morgan "breaking off our routes"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/10/inside-the-49ers/joshua-morgan-last-year-we-were-breaking-off-routes/

Crazy to think about how much differently our offense used to deal with the blitz! What do you guys think about that, letting Alex operate the offense based on blitzes as opposed to the WRs RBs and TEs deciding the play. This describes how messed up our passing game has been!
  • dj43
"Last year we were breaking off routes. They had too many people trying to read the blitz. Sometimes we would get it wrong and sometimes we would get it right, but when you've got other people trying to do the quarterback's job then you've got miscommunication. He was holding the ball because he didn't really know what we were going to do, and vice versa. But this year everything is everything. You just run your route and let Alex figure it out."

I can't even begin to count how many times I made similar comments last year in response to "throwing the receiver open" assertions. When the receivers are not running consistent routes, it is impossible for the QB to "throw them open" without suffering a large number of INTs.

Though another thread has discussed this, there is a time when the receivers have to read the defense and make adjustments but they are based on the audible the QB makes, not a decision the receiver makes on his own. The result is the much improved efficiency of the passing game under Harbaugh's direction .
SingleBrainCell..... Yeah coaching doesn't matter. That's what I learned on the WZ.....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
SingleBrainCell..... Yeah coaching doesn't matter. That's what I learned on the WZ.....

Psh, just force your will on another team, even if they know the play you will win.
awesome little tidbit of insight! it all makes sense now.
Originally posted by Sinsation:

I second that! seems so obvious to fix and yet it wasn't till the new coaching staff came!
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
Originally posted by Sinsation:

I second that! seems so obvious to fix and yet it wasn't till the new coaching staff came!

Look who we had coaching.....
Good post. More and more it show Sing's lack of coaching ability in te modern era of football. What a loser.
The topic of WRs re-routing when there's a blitz...

Isn't that more of an advanced topic when you have a very high-level QB and/or very experienced WRs? It just doesn't make sense to do it when you have a QB who has never had continuity in an offense, and young WRs?
So can all this debate about Alex not knowing how to read a defense be put to rest, now that we know this? He had know idea how to read his WRs because they were free lancing routes. WOW!

Originally posted by gamechanger:
So can all this debate about Alex not knowing how to read a defense be put to rest, now that we know this? He had know idea how to read his WRs because they were free lancing routes. WOW!

Wonder how many of those tip interceptions came as result of this?
Let's not go overboard here. WHEN a QB and receiving corp are very experienced in a system -- in other words, very much in tune with each other -- then "sight adjustments" by the receiver changing their route are a great way to beat a defense. At that point, receivers do adjust their routes extensively. But when a QB and receiver are in their first couple of years playing together, their adjustments need to be simplified and scripted.

This is often a reason free agent receivers are slow to assimilate into mature offensive systems -- eg Chad Johnson at the Patriots this year. Chad is probably limited in his adjustments as he learns the offense and gets in tune with Brady. And Brady isn't sure of him yet. Etc.

The difference is JH understands this and is bringing along the offense at a pace the offense can get handle and do well. It will take a while.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Let's not go overboard here. WHEN a QB and receiving corp are very experienced in a system -- in other words, very much in tune with each other -- then "sight adjustments" by the receiver changing their route are a great way to beat a defense. At that point, receivers do adjust their routes extensively. But when a QB and receiver are in their first couple of years playing together, their adjustments need to be simplified and scripted.

This is often a reason free agent receivers are slow to assimilate into mature offensive systems -- eg Chad Johnson at the Patriots this year. Chad is probably limited in his adjustments as he learns the offense and gets in tune with Brady. And Brady isn't sure of him yet. Etc.

The difference is JH understands this and is bringing along the offense at a pace the offense can get handle and do well. It will take a while.

You raise a good point. The critical issue is that on a well-coached team the receivers DO adjust their routes but within pre-set limits which both they and the QB understand. There is no free-lancing as in the past.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
The topic of WRs re-routing when there's a blitz...

Isn't that more of an advanced topic when you have a very high-level QB and/or very experienced WRs? It just doesn't make sense to do it when you have a QB who has never had continuity in an offense, and young WRs?

Well, last year Smith and co. were going into the 2nd year of Raye's offense.
Wait, I hope that I understood the comment wrong. Morgan said that the receivers broke off their routes on their own/because SingleBrain wanted it and without initiating Alex into it?
Share 49ersWebzone