LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 459 users in the forums

Are we seeing a horribly managed free agency? Or something bigger?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Now that Rogers is signed maybe the naysayers will recognize that Har/Ballke may know a little bit about football and know how to get some FAs. We have three weeks to fill in the WR, Center, and possibly another CB before the season starts while developing our backups that are already here - Mays, Bowman, RJF, Tukuafu, R. Smith, Adams, R. Johnson, Perkins. If they get a winning season out of our team then we will say taht they know what they were doing.

No, they don't what they are doing. Sorry, signing a second or third tiered CB to a one-year contract is not going to resolve the many issues that could have, and should have been fixed a long time ago.

Separate yourself from being a Niners' fan for one second. Pretend your team is the Broncos. You would not have the same optimism. In fact, you would mock what the Niners are doing. It is simply not competitive.

Who did you want to sign? Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks are playing well in camp, by all accounts, so it may be that they are better fits for the new scheme. The Same must be true for ICE over Franklin, since they had a chance to sign Franklin on the cheap and they passed. Baas got stupid money, and he only started one year. They replaced from w/in last year at C, and that worked out well. I would like Olin Kruetz, but I don't want Godwin just because he was a Saint. He was surrounded by the best pair of guards in the NFL, so it's easy to look good. The safety market was weak to begin with, and Goldson hasn't gone anywhere. The CBs were getting big money AND their choice of playoff teams to join. Nnamdi chose big money and a playoff team. No surprise there. Joseph chose a ten win team. I prefer Rogers over Cromartie, since Cromartie is all talent and no desire (still has awful technique, won't tackle, can't shut his mouth). Rogers can't catch, but he covers and tackles. I thought he would get big money from someone, so I am pleased that we got him cheap. Floyd was the only FA WR that I wanted, and he is still available, last I heard. Edwards runs hot and cold, and has terrible hands. Sidney Rice had microfracture surgery on his hip, so he may never be the same, and he only had 1 good year. I like that they have a plan, and I like that they stick to it, in spite of chicken little responses from impatient, reactionary fans. Four years ago, GB fans were similarly upset about their FO's approach to fixing the D, now they buy into the plan.

Thanks for your response, Trent. I appreciate the honesty, and the "plan".

P.S. By the way, we've all now seen the "plan" this offseason. It was Carlos Rogers all along. WOW!!!! Color me impressed!!!! What a relief, we are finally heading to the Super Bowl. Sorry for not being "patient".

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 3, 2011 at 08:29:15 ]
Debbie Downers unite! Your leader has spoken! (Hope he is wrong!).
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Now that Rogers is signed maybe the naysayers will recognize that Har/Ballke may know a little bit about football and know how to get some FAs. We have three weeks to fill in the WR, Center, and possibly another CB before the season starts while developing our backups that are already here - Mays, Bowman, RJF, Tukuafu, R. Smith, Adams, R. Johnson, Perkins. If they get a winning season out of our team then we will say taht they know what they were doing.

No, they don't what they are doing. Sorry, signing a second or third tiered CB to a one-year contract is not going to resolve the many issues that could have, and should have been fixed a long time ago.

Separate yourself from being a Niners' fan for one second. Pretend your team is the Broncos. You would not have the same optimism. In fact, you would mock what the Niners are doing. It is simply not competitive.

Who did you want to sign? Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks are playing well in camp, by all accounts, so it may be that they are better fits for the new scheme. The Same must be true for ICE over Franklin, since they had a chance to sign Franklin on the cheap and they passed. Baas got stupid money, and he only started one year. They replaced from w/in last year at C, and that worked out well. I would like Olin Kruetz, but I don't want Godwin just because he was a Saint. He was surrounded by the best pair of guards in the NFL, so it's easy to look good. The safety market was weak to begin with, and Goldson hasn't gone anywhere. The CBs were getting big money AND their choice of playoff teams to join. Nnamdi chose big money and a playoff team. No surprise there. Joseph chose a ten win team. I prefer Rogers over Cromartie, since Cromartie is all talent and no desire (still has awful technique, won't tackle, can't shut his mouth). Rogers can't catch, but he covers and tackles. I thought he would get big money from someone, so I am pleased that we got him cheap. Floyd was the only FA WR that I wanted, and he is still available, last I heard. Edwards runs hot and cold, and has terrible hands. Sidney Rice had microfracture surgery on his hip, so he may never be the same, and he only had 1 good year. I like that they have a plan, and I like that they stick to it, in spite of chicken little responses from impatient, reactionary fans. Four years ago, GB fans were similarly upset about their FO's approach to fixing the D, now they buy into the plan.

P.S. By the way, we've all now seen the "plan" this offseason. It was Carlos Rogers all along. WOW!!!! Color me impressed!!!! What a relief, we are finally heading to the Super Bowl. Sorry for not being "patient".

So someone disagrees with you and you bash them by calling them Trent.

Only the Great Maddog knows what's good for the Niners.

Apology Accepted

Originally posted by Amir:

The response given to me was an excuse-laden, pitty party for Trent, full of ridiculous scenarios, unrealistic expectations, and downgrading of any player that did not land here. It was homerism, pure and simple.

The national media is going to be laughing and mocking us for our "plan" this offseason. Meanwhile, the homers think we have suddenly hit the cusp of greatness by adding players such as Applewhite, Grant, Corcoran, some scrubby free undrafted free agent, and Rogers. They are so blinded by their zeal to "want to do well", that they cannot see the product in front of them. The product, as any non-homer can see, is poor. It is non-competitive. It is an embarrassment for the 49ers franchise.

The other teams in the NFC West upgraded their rosters this offseason. They are at least making an effort to push toward the playoffs. The response by management over our inability to do anything persuasive this offseason: The insult of "we have a plan", "be patient". Trent, some of us are not idiots.
I saw on ESPN that you dont have to spend a certin amount the first 2 years so TB,CLE,SF and the JAC are all being cheap and trying to save money....GAY!
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for drake49er.

The response given to me was an excuse-laden, pitty party for Trent, full of ridiculous scenarios, unrealistic expectations, and downgrading of any player that did not land here. It was homerism, pure and simple.

The national media is going to be laughing and mocking us for our "plan" this offseason. Meanwhile, the homers think we have suddenly hit the cusp of greatness by adding players such as Applewhite, Grant, Corcoran, some scrubby free undrafted free agent, and Rogers. They are so blinded by their zeal to "want to do well", that they cannot see the product in front of them. The product, as any non-homer can see, is poor. It is non-competitive. It is an embarrassment for the 49ers franchise.

The other teams in the NFC West upgraded their rosters this offseason. They are at least making an effort to push toward the playoffs. The response by management over our inability to do anything persuasive this offseason: The insult of "we have a plan", "be patient". Trent, some of us are not idiots.

I'm not sure where you are getting that people on this forum thinks we have hit the "cusp of greatness". Majority of people on this board are either hitting the panic button or having patience with Harbaugh/Baalke. If you think majority of the people are happy with these moves then you need to get your head check. Some people are choosing to be optomistic instead of being negative all the time. There are no legitimate reasons to get retard strong on people for that. You have more knowledge about football and talent than most people on this board. If you think you can do better than Baalke...why are you bashing people on a internet forum instead of holding a position somewhere in a FO of a team.

Now to get back on topic...I agree with some of the things you mentioned. We haven't improved while other teams are making strides to push for a playoff run. If anything...we got worse. This is a short offseason and there are growing pains associated with it. I see us going 5-11 at best but I choose to have patience before calling for Baalke's head.

[ Edited by drake49er on Aug 3, 2011 at 09:08:48 ]

Mad you are trippin. It sounds like you still have a sore vag from the front office drafting aldon smith, I bet its even now that he already has proven to be a playmaker and one st a position we need desperately. You say Carlos Rogers is 3rd tier and only the 9th best CB from this years fa class? get real. Stop strokin your own johnson so much, take a step back and look at things objectively...,you're a smart guy, but you trust your own analysis way too much. You want everything done the mad dog way or else it was a bad move. Omg. Fire baalke! Ban the apologists!!
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

Mad you are trippin. It sounds like you still have a sore vag from the front office drafting aldon smith, I bet its even now that he already has proven to be a playmaker and one st a position we need desperately. You say Carlos Rogers is 3rd tier and only the 9th best CB from this years fa class? get real. Stop strokin your own johnson so much, take a step back and look at things objectively...,you're a smart guy, but you trust your own analysis way too much. You want everything done the mad dog way or else it was a bad move. Omg. Fire baalke! Ban the apologists!!

Originally posted by ObePwnD:

MadDog is a stupid name too.

Sorry to interrupt but really hope you're right about Smith (that would be fantastic and a piece the Niners have been missing for years) but to say he's proven anything might be just a tiny, tiny bit premature non ?

I don't think this front office has done a real good job either to be honest, unless they were looking to clear wages as in simple terms the subtractions are more than the additions (from a pretty average football team as it was) and if you're talking to players about re-signing how's about not getting them really riled up so they feel humiliated and don't want to re-sign ? I didn't want to see the Niners overpay for a 30 year CB (no matter how good) but would have liked to have seen more proactive desire than that what we have been served so far (especially over the centre position - that was amateurish in the extreme, Bass should have been tied up last season, the second Eric Heitman went down again).

Seems, from the outside, (and a complete guess natch) like Baalke gets off on playing hardball.

Let's face it there isn't "a plan" (unless it's to clear the decks and be active at the end of the season) we know that, it's a nice way of saying we're ditching guys we think we'll have to overspend to keep. Hopefully it ends up being addition by subtraction and that Harbaugh has been consulted on all of these moves...but some of it has been a little stupefying (if we're honest).

And Carlos Rogers is pretty much Nate Clements (for less money), a nice deal and addition but by no means a top tier CB, borderline number one. Hope he does well naturally as he's a Niner now, be another great piece if he does.

I do really hope the moves work for the Niners and there are two or three more to come and I don't think it's the end of the world but I don't care much for "The Plan" so far either.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

MadDog is a stupid name too.

This is why you are the man....
Debbie Downers, please line up behind the sycophant.
Share 49ersWebzone