There are 245 users in the forums

What is the identity of Harbaugh's offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
We will find out, I guess.

If it is anything like what Stanford ran, it will be a power running attack that sets up the play action passing game. It will involve multiple TE's, a FB, and a stable of backs to handle the load unless there is a star RB (i.e. Toby Gerhart).

Well, he did say that he sets up the offense that uses his player's strengths. We all know that Stanford had the personell to run all over people every game.

So he should be able to see that were not capable of that.

Good point! It will be interesting to see what he will do to adapt his system to the Niners existing personnel. Can't wait to see what he has in mind.........

Yeah. And even when asked if we would use the WCO, he said we would, but a different variation that would suit our players.

Shows that he doesn't want to use the WCO just for kicks. He'll use it b/c he's comfortable with it, BUT he will also modify it to maximize the potential of all our weapons.

I imagine a pretty balanced attack, with Gore getting only 65% percent of the carries. I expect us to use a lot of TEs and designed passes to the RBs.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by strickac:
I'm bracing for a power rushing attack. I know he likes shorter, efficient passes that are kind of an extension of the running game, so that's what I expect to see. Until he gains trust in his QB, I think it'll be very conservative, with an emphasis on moving the chains, rather than attacking vertically.

I think Gore will remain as the focal point of our offense. I expext to see a passing game more similar what the Rams (Shurmur) used this season, only with Vernon and Walker heavily involved.

Well, maybe he only used the power rushing attack at Stanford b/c it worked? I'm guessing he's a smart guy and will realize that we have some weapons that can go vertical ( VD, Walker, Crabtree.)

I doubt we use something closely similar to what the Rams did. They had a rookie QB and a bunch of no names as receivers. We already have some decent/good weapons. I think we will get some decent veteran QB to use all this talent so it doesn't go to waste while a guy like Stanzi/Devlin/Dalton learns on the bench.

I brought up the Rams because Shurmur used a lot of short crossing routes, slants and outs. Bradford always had atleast one easy option underneath, which kept the pressure off of him and limited his mistakes. It's a perfect offense for a young (or inaccurate) QB and that's probably exactly why Holmgren brought him to help Colt McCoy.
SmashMouF FhysiKal

• Tman
  • Veteran
West Coast Power
Our identity will be one of:

Solid game plan
How to make advantageous matchups
Understanding how to make half time adjustments
Understanding the X's and O's of the game (No Singletary this is not hugs and kisses)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Think Shanahan offense.
identity on offense?

FINISH HIM!!! FATALITY!!!

49ERS WIN, FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!
It'll be along the lines of Mariucci's WCO. A power-based one. Remember our line with Stone, Gogan, Deese, Newberry paving the way for Garrison Hearst and Charlie Garner? We were #1 in rushing one of those years. Should be similar to that.

In watching some Stanford games, it looks like he does indeed run-first and then play-action. And when I say play-action... that is a HEAVY usage of it.

I think he should be fine using it in the NFL. He'll likely mix it up much better than the previous playcallers.
C'mon guys, this isn't that hard a question. A reminder: who would have been the consensus #1 pick in the draft if he hadn't decided to stay another yr at Stanford and will get his degree in architectural design? Andrew Luck. And if uninjured will be the consensus #1 pick next yr. Does anyone really think that with a really smart, talented kid like that under center that he just handed the ball off? Come on, harbaugh ran a really complicated O, and our QB will be the center of it. He is going to have to be smart tho, and be a quick study, which eliminates all QBs currently on the roster. Yeah, alex was smart, but not football smart,and definitely not a quick study. Matter of fact , i don't know if we keep ANY of our qbs this yr.

Look for Harbaugh to call and run the same kind of O that Sean Payton does, and don't think i am not ecstatic about that. The catch? your guys have to be smart enough to understand the plays, from OL to RB to TE, WR, to esp. the QB. I cannot wait for the draft and see which unknown qB we pick and in which round, maybe 3rd, maybe 5th. Unheard of? well Montana was taken in 3rd, Brady in the 5th, and brees i think in 2nd or 3rd rd. Eli and Peyton are the only two that come to mind taken high in draft #1, altho i don't know where matty ice or roethlisberger were picked. Point is you don't need a high draft pick for qb, you need a good smart one with talent, and more importantly, you have to match him with a really great OC/HC. Well, we got the second half of that to start, and we have what, 3 guys on OL taken in 1st rd, and 2 or 3 taken in 2nd rd. We have a great OL that has never been coached properly. Watch that be the identity of harbaugh's O...both for pass blocking as well as run blocking. Look for an O that looks a lot like sean payton's and is similar to Bill Walsh's.
Found a video of Andrew Luck's highlights from 2009...I really like the type of pass plays he uses. I wouldn't mind if we run the ball b/c we do have good backs and we obviously don't wanna let them go to waste.

But I really like the pass plays he uses. A lot of them are in bunch formations so the defense expects run. And a lot of them are in spread.

Really seems like his offense isn't predictable.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Think Shanahan offense.

Bingo.

Also, Jim's game-plans are neither pass, nor run-centered (for all those throwing out the 'run-first' crap from watching only 5 Stanford highlight reels); they're all matched/paired around MATCH-UPS & exploits, and attacking them with all the intangibles/talent available on the offense.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jan 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Think Shanahan offense.

Bingo.

Shanahan with Terrell Davis or Shanahan with Mike Bell and Knowshon Moreno?
Three simple letters:

WCO!

FTW!!!

With a skew to the running game. He did it in combo with TE sets that manipulate their secondary. I see more slants. I see timing patterns. I see, if necessary, throwing to TE not matter what, VD and Delanie step up.

[ Edited by ninertico on Jan 15, 2011 at 5:18 PM ]
Based on what he did at Stanford, his offense will reflect the talent available. This is what I saw from Stanford this year:

power running scheme - their power scheme was almost unstoppable this year run out of multiple shifts, sets, motions, and personnel groupings (even an OT at FB and as a Wing)

ball control passing using short/intermediate passes from wco - he ran all the classics like y-stick, z-in, plus the quick passing game

vertical passing game - they did this all year and quite well in the orange bowl
See "Baltimore Ravens".............
Share 49ersWebzone