There are 223 users in the forums

Better start looking for a FB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by franklinfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Multibomber:
How could the correct answer to this question be anyone but Delanie Walker?!?! LBs cant cover him, he can block, he's got very soft hands, he's retardedly fast. JH can move him all over the field. Start out in a 2 TE 2WR with Walker and Gore in the backfield, just motioning Walker anywhere would be quite a challenge for any defense to shift and cover. JH could give so many looks out of the same starting formation... its called Offensive Deception... I know we haven't seen nor heard of this on a Niners team in a long time, but a little trickeration could only help our 2011 QB, who will most likely be Alex Smith :/

he can block but there is no way in hell he has the size to be a lead blocker.

D.W would need another 20 lbs to be effective as a FB -- N.B needs to lose 10-15 lbs to be an effective FB..

Why would NB have to lose weight? As long as he doesn't have to run the ball on a sweep.

i would like to see Nate get back to 255-260 when he won the AAA BB Penna.state championship game..seemed to be more fluid at that weight and still wouild not hurt his blocking..jmo
[ Edited by franklinfan on Apr 10, 2011 at 7:50 PM ]
i miss Britt Miller
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
i miss Britt Miller

you should!
Owen marecic in the 5th. Harbaugh and staff know him and IMO he would work harder for them. He could also be a special teams stud his first year or two of we have norris again
Originally posted by bigginz54:
Owen marecic in the 5th. Harbaugh and staff know him and IMO he would work harder for them. He could also be a special teams stud his first year or two of we have norris again

We also know he's in great shape!
Quote:
Rathman’s role may not be reprised in Harbaugh’s WCO

Posted on April 18, 2011 by Eric Branch

Jim Harbaugh has Tom Rathman on his coaching staff.

Based on his history, however, it’s not clear that Harbaugh will be seeking a modern-day Rathman as his fullback in his power-based West Coast offense.

Harbaugh may have memorized those Bill Walsh installation tapes, but it’s worth noting that he’s never used a fullback like the 49ers once employed the versatile Rathman, who had more than 40 receptions in four of his eight seasons in San Francisco.

Rathman, who had two 100-carry seasons, had a career-high 73 catches in 1989. Seventy-three catches? In his seven seasons as a college coach, Harbaugh’s starting fullbacks combined for 53 catches and had more than nine catches just once. In addition, those fullbacks – Owen Marecic at Stanford and Jon Polk at the University of San Diego — had fewer than 24 carries in six of seven seasons, averaging 18.4 carries per season.

“Blocking is what my responsibility has been on the team for years now, both high school and college, and I love doing it, and take it very seriously,” Marecic said at the NFL Combine. “I really enjoy it and it’s just my role on the team.”

Harbaugh’s use of his fullback obviously could change in the NFL, but the way he used Marecic and Polk primarily as lead-blocking battering rams reflects a trend in the league. Last year, for example, Atlanta’s Jason Snelling was the only fullback with more than 25 receptions. In 2000, eight NFL fullbacks had more than 25 catches and five had at least 35.

The 49ers will no doubt be looking for a fullback in the draft, if for no other reason than the 250-pound Moran Norris, who had seven touches in 2010, will turn 33 in June.

Whomever they select will be coached by Rathman, the running backs coach, but they won’t necessarily be reprising his role.

• Marecic and Polk were primarily blocking fullbacks under Harbaugh and they performed their jobs with distinction.

Marecic (6-1, 248), who also played linebacker as a senior, was a three-time honorable-mention Pac-10 selection before being named an All-American as an all-purpose player in 2010.

Polk (6-1, 230) was a team captain and an all-conference selection who became the first USD player in eight years to be invited to the Hula Bowl when he participated in the all-star game in 2007.

Here’s a look at their statistics under Harbaugh:

OWEN MARECIC
Rushing: 23 carries, 46 yards, 5 TD
Receiving: 9 catches, 75 yards, 0 TD

Rushing: 8 carries, 15 yards, 4 TDs
Receiving: 8 catches, 132 yards, 1 TD

Rushing: 0 carries, 0 yards, 0 TD
Receiving: 4 catches, 25 yards, 0 TD

Rushing: 5 carries, 6 yards, 0 TD
Receiving: 4 catches, 26 yards, 0 TD

JON POLK
Rushing: 22 carries, 76 yards, 1 TD
Receiving: 6 catches, 45 yards, 2 TD

Rushing: 55 carries, 231 yards, 8 TD
Receiving: 13 catches, 82 yards, 0 TD

Rushing: 16 carries, 49 yards, 0 TD
Receiving: 9 catches, 52 yards, 1 TD

Link...
who not use delanie as a h-back type position? a hyrbid of both
Quote:
MelKiperESPN: The first FB taken should be CT's Anthony Sherman on rd 4. Tough, hard-nosed, consistent lead blocker, great hands. Great on special teams.

MelKiperESPN: Next off the board at FB, Pitt's Henry Hynoski, then Owen Marecic (Stanford), Charles Clay (Tulsa), Stanley Havili (USC), Shaun Chapas (GA)
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Zak keasey

if he didnt blow up his knee would be a bad choice... but I dont think hes a Bar None
I think some nice UDFA finds would be Pat DiMarco or David Ausberry.

49ers worked out DT Matangi Tonga at fullback - NFP

Quote:
During the San Francisco 49ers' local prospect workout last week, the most prominent fullback was Stanford senior Owen Marecic.

He played for 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh for the past four seasons.

The 49ers also auditioned University of Houston defensive tackle Matangi Tonga at fullback as well during the workout, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Per the source, Tonga impressed the 49ers' coaching staff with his athleticism at 6-foot-2, 290 pounds.

During his campus Pro Day workout, Tonga ran the 40-yard dash in 4.72 and 4.81 seconds and bench pressed 225 pounds 29 times.

At their request, Tonga also did fullback drills for the Green Bay Packers, Seattle Seahawks and the Miami Dolphins following the workout.

Per a source who attended the workout, Tonga snagged a a one-handed catch on a football that was thrown behind him by the Packers coach.

Tonga also registered a 4.1 short shuttle, a 7.08 pro shuttle, a 32 1/2 inch vertical leap and 9-0 broad jump.

At least 16 teams attended the workout.

A former junior college transfer who initially attended BYU, Tonga underwent lateral meniscus surgery last season and has recovered from that injury.

Tonga intercepted a pass as a freshman at BYU.

He was an all-state football player in San Mateo, Calif., recording 11 sacks and 19 tackles for losses as a senior with 837 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns.

His brother, fullback Manase Tonga, played fullback at BYU and currently plays for the Oakland Raiders.

The former Eagle Scout was also recruited by USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, Cal Berkeley, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Idaho State and Idaho.
Share 49ersWebzone