LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 391 users in the forums

Praise the Organization for Bringing Back the WCO

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know, I know, I've been obsessed with this topic, but as someone growing up in the Walsh era I just think that is this team's identity. Just like the Bears play "smashmouth" (so-called) football as the "Monsters of the Midway"... Just like the Giants have been known for running and good D. Just like the Raiders like their vertical game... A team that has 5 SBs has an identity. There is a whole community built around the WCO in and around the Bay Area and around the league... Many WCO coaches live in, or originated in colleges around the Bay... There is a big local talent pool.

Can't wait to see what the draft brings. Hope we trade back in the 1st round... More picks, the better.

So what does everyone else think of the WCO coming "back" (in one of it's forms)? I know I've had some detractors talking about how the league has "evolved" further... I beg to differ. The basic fundamentals of the WCO/Bill Walsh Offense (in reality) are the roots of most of the best offenses in the league today... And the other good offenses are rooted in the Air Coryell Offenses - from which Bill took many of his ideas (he basically evolved from that style)...

I was even more pleased when Harbaugh admitted to keeping a pic of Walsh on his computer!!!
Yeah it just feels right to have the WCO back. I am pleased.
WCO's coming home !
Football's coming Home !
A different kind of football of course but i couldn't resist the analogy and my video skills aren't good enough to produce another clip with that song
GO WCO ! GO FOOTBALL ! GO NINERS !
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Now, we just have to find a QB to run it.
Originally posted by mayo49:

What I love is Jim is GREAT with QBs and there are a million options...

The Up and Comers

Kolb
Orton
J. Webb
M. Flynn

The Veterans

McNabb
Hasselbeck
K. Collins

The Incumbents

Alex
Troy
Nate

The Rookies

Mallett
Gabbert
Newton
Locker

My vote is for Kolb and a 1st round CB

OR

VY, McNabb, or Hasselbeck to keep the job warm for a 1st round QB.
McNabb, Hasselbeck and Kolb are all WCO guys.
  • obx49
  • Veteran

Jeff Garcia?

We need a QB who has accuracy and can scramble when the pocket collapses. Mick Vick is out of the question and Vince Young has a weak mind.

Got one!

Drum roll please...

Cam Newton.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd like to get Locker in the first with a trade down. Something about him makes me believe he will transition well to the pros. He really had nothing to work with at Washington. I think he can run the WCO. Just my 2 cents.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 8, 2011 at 05:00:47 ]
Originally posted by obx49:

Jeff Garcia?

We need a QB who has accuracy and can scramble when the pocket collapses. Mick Vick is out of the question and Vince Young has a weak mind.

Got one!

Drum roll please...

Cam Newton.

I like!

Jeff Garcia?

Got one!

Drum roll please...

Cam Newton.

I'm not sold on Cam Newton. He was a great college QB, but I'm afraid that he won't bring that game to the NFL. History is full of those QBs who did well in college, and then choked it up in the NFL, e.g. Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Troy Smith, Ryan Leaf, etc.

If Harbaugh is as good at grooming QBs as everyone says/thinks he is (he certainly has the track record to prove it), then I'd save our 1st pick for a pass rusher or CB, and then draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC

• gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dankmeistr:

Jeff Garcia?

Got one!

Drum roll please...

Cam Newton.

I'm not sold on Cam Newton. He was a great college QB, but I'm afraid that he won't bring that game to the NFL. History is full of those QBs who did well in college, and then choked it up in the NFL, e.g. Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Troy Smith, Ryan Leaf, etc.

If Harbaugh is as good at grooming QBs as everyone says/thinks he is (he certainly has the track record to prove it), then I'd save our 1st pick for a pass rusher or CB, and then draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC

I like that plan!
Harbaugh is the QB guru, so who ever he picks I"m good with.

Side Note: I hope we dont use our first pick on a position that can be easily filled (CB,LB,RB,Sfty). There are only three positions I would want to use it on or trade back, QB, DE/OLB, NT.
The coach QB'd in Chicago and his brother is a Raven. It seems, however, he has repented from his sinful roots of boring football.

I hope he doesn't backslide!

Welcome home, WCO!!!

Welcome to new-York, new-York!

Championship...
Share 49ersWebzone