LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 266 users in the forums

Will we ever see Alex Smith and Frank Gore together on the field again?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will we ever see Alex Smith and Frank Gore together on the field again?

• dj43
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Yes, in 2014 for the NE Patriots.

You actually think the Patriots would consider starting Alex Smith?

Yes, I do. Belichick is totally BFFs with Urban Meyer, and Meyer loves Alex. Hell, Belichick made Cassel look good and the Pats basically run the spread offense that Alex had success with at Utah. Plus he would be in the same offense for 4 years at that point. I think Belichick could make Alex look good.

I have to say half the teams in the NFL would make Alex look good.

They just need to do this...

Call plays in ON TIME. Average 10+ seconds left on the play clock. We don't. We're doing good if we average 6.

Don't go to the Well too often. We do. If a screen works solidly, we go right back to it. Frank gets a 10 yard Run up the middle we pound it there twice more regardless of yards achieved.

Bench non performing players. When the ball gets to them and they drop it or cough it up for a pick, bench their asses. I'm sure there are other Receivers in the depth chart that would love the opportunity to catch Passes. Like *cough* Jason Hill *hack*. Ziggy is done for the season and where is Hill now? Oh that's right we cut him once again to bring up Shane friggin Andrus?!!! By game's end we had 3 Receivers, not including Delanie Walker.

If you can't call the plays consistently enough, let him call his own. That guy can play well enough. He's not Peyton Manning but hell Manning threw two picks on Sunday. And he's got tons more experience than Alex does.

Oh and just protect the guy. He is the most hit QB in the League. Or was. On every down whether he had the ball or not he pretty much got annihilated. Opposing teams get away with murder unless it's absolutely blatant.

And just have a staff that has some imagination. A little play calling imagination can go a long way to making average QBs' look good. Don't believe me? Derek Anderson back in his first season as a Starter. Cleveland was lighting teams up. Now look at him. People complain that Alex stares down his Receivers? DA did that all game long. Alex does it occasionally. Alex is by no means perfect. Neither was Garcia. But look at what a reasonable change of pace did for Garcia when he was in Philly and in Tampa. Played in the system he knew with solid protection and people were wishing he were back here.

Be careful what you wish for folks, it has a way of biting us in the ass.Some people never learn I guess.

~Ceadder

Peyton threw FOUR picks on Sunday. All while the Colts OL was playing like the 49ers OL.

My bad. Didn't see that game only the highlight reel and it showed only two and didn't say anything more.

Four picks tho? Has Alex ever had a 4 pick day? I'm pretty sure he'd thrown three but not sure if he had 4. And good call if their OLine was playing as bad as ours has.

You should listen to Ted Robinson's interview with Ralph and Tom. He pretty puts things into perspective pretty well.

~Ceadder
I watched that game. Peyton was under constant pressure, his only regular receiver was Reggie Wayne who had a very poor game, the running game was completely shut down and Peyton could do nothing. He looked no better than Alex Smith.

For those who have said that Manning could come here and turn this team into a playoff contender, that game showed how wrong they are.

Ted Robinson had some very pertinent comments. Among them was that on three separate occasions, members of media crews who were talking to Mike McCarthy pre-draft, confirmed that McCarthy fully endorsed the drafting of Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers. This confirms what has been reported in other situations. McCarthy felt Smith was a more reliable playmaker than Rodgers.

Too bad his departure signaled the beginning of the re-programming of Alex Smith.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Yes, in 2014 for the NE Patriots.

You actually think the Patriots would consider starting Alex Smith?

Yes, I do. Belichick is totally BFFs with Urban Meyer, and Meyer loves Alex. Hell, Belichick made Cassel look good and the Pats basically run the spread offense that Alex had success with at Utah. Plus he would be in the same offense for 4 years at that point. I think Belichick could make Alex look good.

I have to say half the teams in the NFL would make Alex look good.

They just need to do this...

Call plays in ON TIME. Average 10+ seconds left on the play clock. We don't. We're doing good if we average 6.

Don't go to the Well too often. We do. If a screen works solidly, we go right back to it. Frank gets a 10 yard Run up the middle we pound it there twice more regardless of yards achieved.

Bench non performing players. When the ball gets to them and they drop it or cough it up for a pick, bench their asses. I'm sure there are other Receivers in the depth chart that would love the opportunity to catch Passes. Like *cough* Jason Hill *hack*. Ziggy is done for the season and where is Hill now? Oh that's right we cut him once again to bring up Shane friggin Andrus?!!! By game's end we had 3 Receivers, not including Delanie Walker.

If you can't call the plays consistently enough, let him call his own. That guy can play well enough. He's not Peyton Manning but hell Manning threw two picks on Sunday. And he's got tons more experience than Alex does.

Oh and just protect the guy. He is the most hit QB in the League. Or was. On every down whether he had the ball or not he pretty much got annihilated. Opposing teams get away with murder unless it's absolutely blatant.

And just have a staff that has some imagination. A little play calling imagination can go a long way to making average QBs' look good. Don't believe me? Derek Anderson back in his first season as a Starter. Cleveland was lighting teams up. Now look at him. People complain that Alex stares down his Receivers? DA did that all game long. Alex does it occasionally. Alex is by no means perfect. Neither was Garcia. But look at what a reasonable change of pace did for Garcia when he was in Philly and in Tampa. Played in the system he knew with solid protection and people were wishing he were back here.

Be careful what you wish for folks, it has a way of biting us in the ass.Some people never learn I guess.

~Ceadder

All good QB throws picks now and then. The difference is, when Manning, Brees, Brady, Rivers throw picks more often than NOT they make up for it and the fans know that. With Alex Smith, there's little chance that he can come back and he's proven it time and time again. Keep rooting for him Bro ... it's your rights and let me know when he goes to another team and lights up the scoreboard and I will cry in my beer. OH WAIT! I don't drink!

No no no no no no... you cannot fall back on that and then make some BS statement that Alex can't come back. He's done it in the past. Hell he ALMOST beat the Saints. Pretty sure he threw a pick in that game. In a game that he got set back right from the beginning with that Moonshot snap Baas put over his head. If Alex doesn't bat that ball out of the End Zone, it's a good bet they recover in short yardage at best. At worst they score 7 instead of two.

There have been several games where we lost by ~4 points and Alex was the QB. Mostly against good teams. I'm not saying that you gotta worship the guy. But damn this misplaced hatred is just stupid. We had a lot more going wrong than QB.

Line is starting 2 Rookies who have played like it. Too bad Staley had Rookie days too. Rachal should just not be starting at RG. His footwork is garbage. About the only bright spot on the Line all season has to be Baas. A guy that essentially a Rookie at Center.

You can say what you want about Troy playing better than Alex, but for the most part he's gotten protection against teams that really had nothing definitive on him in the film room and either our Line is starting to come together or they've come up against some pretty bad Defenses.

And the consistency with the playcalling and the Receivers has been so hit and miss all season long. Morgan shows up for 2 or 3 good productive catches and is virtually invisible the rest of the day. Ziggy didn't get any time on the field even though he was clearly the best Receiver in Camp and Preseason, Ginn is serviceable but he's more of a decoy than a true Receiver. Jason Hill was stifled by Sullivan, now he's gone when we need him the most. Crabtree is not living up to his potential imho. He has a couple nice grabs in the End Zone this season but like Morgan has his cloaking device on the fritz. Doesn't help that he's tipped 4 balls into the hands of the other team that I know of.

Vernon is not getting hardly any Passes. In fact his catches have gone down since Troy became the Starter. I bet I could count the amount of Passes thrown his way on my fingers over the last 4 games.

Walker was injured during the 1st half of the Season. He was just back when Alex got injured in Carolina in a game that Alex was playing pretty decently in thanks to the young OLine.

West brook had what 5 to 10 touches all season prior to Monday?

5 games should be put squarely on the shoulders of the Defense. If they hold up we Win. Against New Orleans and Atlanta no less. Seattle was a trap game and we played them like it. KC was against a solid team. There was no weak KC from last year.

Some of y'all act like we're never sposedta lose. And if we do then it's all on the QB and nobody else had a hand in the Loss. Absolutely pathetic.

Alex is more than likely gone but people don't have to be jerks about it.

~Ceadder

You can blame the QB all you want but the fact is that this team from top to bottom sucked all season. I only hope that we can get it in gear.
Originally posted by new49er:
Alex will be a good QB somewhere else. The San Francisco 49ers ruined his career.

You are an idiot! Alex ruined 5 years of 49ers football.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Alex will be a good QB somewhere else. The San Francisco 49ers ruined his career.

Wow what's with the personal attack?

Alex ruined 5 years? So everybody else on this team would have been better without Alex Smith? I betcha Vernon thinks otherwise.

Go pedal your poop elsewhere please.

~Ceadder
  • BobS
  • Veteran

I think we should say 6 years, the length he was on the roster. Honestly you Alex lovers, what makes you think he will succeed elsewhere? He has NEVER even played well for a two games in a row in his career. If you find an NFL team that has 7 foot tall receivers with Michael Jordan's jumping ability and a line that gives him 5 seconds to throw, maybe he will succeed. The guy has shown nothing, yet people think he has some hidden ability that will eventually come out, WTF?

Wow what's with the personal attack?

Alex ruined 5 years? So everybody else on this team would have been better without Alex Smith? I betcha Vernon thinks otherwise.

Go pedal your poop elsewhere please.

~Ceadder

I also take his statement about the 49ers ruining Alex' career as a personal attack.

Everybody else on this team would have been better without a QB who has not been able to lead this team to wins. A better QB would have allowed them to have more production. I betcha Vernon isn't piping the same tune now that they are winning with Troy.

Ceadder, you can kiss Alex's arss in the appropriate thread:

Loser's link

Oh.... and please go root for whatever team decides to give Alex more than a dime for his inept QB qualities when we cut his ass after 2010! Good riddance to both of you.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Bomb throwing Alex Smith thread, we didn't need another monster one.
Share 49ersWebzone