LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 271 users in the forums

Wasting a Talent (T Mays)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why tell the kid his playing time is being split...then you give it all to another player. This kis came in and did everything the coaches asked of him. When you have a talent like Mays of Bowman you scheme your defense to their strengths. Our niners do exactly the opposite. Other team throw their talented draft picks out there to learn on the job. This will go down as a mediorce draft classs because of the STUPIDITY of our coaching staff.
he is a rookie and he sucks in coverage
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Why tell the kid his playing time is being split...then you give it all to another player. This kis came in and did everything the coaches asked of him. When you have a talent like Mays of Bowman you scheme your defense to their strengths. Our niners do exactly the opposite. Other team throw their talented draft picks out there to learn on the job. This will go down as a mediorce draft classs because of the STUPIDITY of our coaching staff.

our secondary is NOT good enough to let him "learn on the job". he hasn't shown much, so he will learn from the sidelines and limited time. and also, to put it simply, he is NOT good enough-YET. he has proven that.
Wasting a rookie's, who is not currently the best player at his position, talent by having him start a number of games his rookie season?

Interesting concept.
We're not wasting Mays, we're giving him the 'Reggie Smith' treatment.

Developing a safety in this era of football is not what it was 20+ years ago. It takes almost 3+ years to develop/educate a safety properly.

Most safeties come in from college with Taylor Mays' condition of having mediocre coverage skills/film-room etiquette of studying the kinetics/body languages of their opponent (so they don't get juked/burned easily).
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Not all rookies are NFL ready. That playbook is huge and there's a lot to learn. He definately has the talent but it will take him time to adjust. I think next year after having a year under his belt, he will do a lot better. This is why Anthony Davis is having a tough time at RT. Next year, he will do a lot better and won't have to think as much...

capice?
I think for next year we move Reggie Smith to free safety and start Mays at strong safety.

That being said, I don't think we should resign Goldson, more importantly, we need Lawson back.
Uh yeah and Reggie Smith had himself a darn fine game. Why you think we need to give playing time to a kid who isn't ready is beyond me. This isn't madden were you can take your "a" potential player and start him all season then suddenly he boosts up 5 or 6 points overall. This is the real world, this is the NFL. Its the what have you done for me lately league, you play the best players playing there best at the current time. Mays has a ton of talent, so does Bowmen but they aren't ready yet. We are in the middle of a division race. Sing is coaching for his career. It makes no sense to start either of them at this time.
Reggie Smith is the better player at the moment----nuff said.

Originally posted by Chico:
Not all rookies are NFL ready. That playbook is huge and there's a lot to learn. He definately has the talent but it will take him time to adjust. I think next year after having a year under his belt, he will do a lot better. This is why Anthony Davis is having a tough time at RT. Next year, he will do a lot better and won't have to think as much...

capice?

Yes I understand...but why play with him and bowman confidence.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Are you sure you're a fan of this team. Sound's jealous of your lack of achievements.
Originally posted by TMays_isaBEAST23:
I think for next year we move Reggie Smith to free safety and start Mays at strong safety.

That being said, I don't think we should resign Goldson, more importantly, we need Lawson back.

YEP
Originally posted by TMays_isaBEAST23:

Well said
He simply isn't ready. He will be on the field next year and he will be fine probably. If he can't make it on the field then he either isn't good enough or the coaches are idiots. We will propbably have new coaches next year so we will see if they think the same as the current coaching staff.
Share 49ersWebzone