LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 124 users in the forums

would you rather the niners stay in SF under same management

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by area49:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
The 49ers would cease to be the 49ers if they moved to L.A. They couldn't keep the team name because the L.A. 49ers makes no sense, since the California Gold Rush belongs to the Bay Area. Once you lose the name, you lose the history that went with the team.

When I think of the Tennessee Titans I don't think Houston Oilers. When I think of the Baltimore Ravens I don't think of the Browns. When I think of the L.A. Desert Rats, I don't think of the 49ers. Moving the team to L.A. and changing the name would kill the franchise literally. I don't know any true fan who would want that.

Bulls**t. It's up to the owners and the league.

Besides, Tennessee Oilers didn't make sense either, but the Titans got the Oilers' history. Just because they can't keep the name doesn't mean they can't keep the history. The trophies will still belong to LA.

The trophies would exist in the building that that team owned, but it would belong to the San Francisco 49ers, which would be a grain of dust in the history of the league. Whatever team would be down in L.A. would not be the 49ers and would not inherit their history.

For example, the Ravens. When they moved the Browns to Baltimore and changed the name of the team and everything about it, they severed themselves from the history of that team. That is why when the Browns were brought back into the league, no one argues that the Ravens are the real Browns. Since the Browns didn't have any trophies when they destroyed the team, the question of those was not a big deal.

Further, I live in Houston and no one considers the Titans the Oilers. Everyone hates that team because their owner took away their beloved franchise and made it exist no more. The Oilers died when they moved out of the city and changed their identity. The only thing that connects the Oilers with the Titans is the owner, which wouldn't even be the case if the Niners moved down to L.A..
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Oct 31, 2010 at 8:07 AM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
If the 49ers move to LA, im done with the NFL.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

The trophies would exist in the building that that team owned, but it would belong to the San Francisco 49ers, which would be a grain of dust in the history of the league. Whatever team would be down in L.A. would not be the 49ers and would not inherit their history.

For example, the Ravens. When they moved the Browns to Baltimore and changed the name of the team and everything about it, they severed themselves from the history of that team. That is why when the Browns were brought back into the league, no one argues that the Ravens are the real Browns. Since the Browns didn't have any trophies when they destroyed the team, the question of those was not a big deal.

Further, I live in Houston and no one considers the Titans the Oilers. Everyone hates that team because their owner took away their beloved franchise and made it exist no more. The Oilers died when they moved out of the city and changed their identity. The only thing that connects the Oilers with the Titans is the owner, which wouldn't even be the case if the Niners moved down to L.A..

I'm more concerned about the Oilers scenario than the Browns. There's no guarantee that if they move the team to L.A. and change the name (just damn silly if they didn't) that another 49ers franchise would start up in San Francisco.

If they did start up another 49ers franchise, I'd probably root for them. Like you said, this is an ownership thing, not a history thing. This team has no connection to it's history anymore, anyway. It's not the same franchise that it was with DeBartolo. Sure, we've got the trophies and hall of fame players, but the thrill is gone, baby... the thrill is gone away.

The 49ers would cease to be the 49ers if they moved to L.A. They couldn't keep the team name because the L.A. 49ers makes no sense, since the California Gold Rush belongs to the Bay Area. Once you lose the name, you lose the history that went with the team.

When I think of the Tennessee Titans I don't think Houston Oilers. When I think of the Baltimore Ravens I don't think of the Browns. When I think of the L.A. Desert Rats, I don't think of the 49ers. Moving the team to L.A. and changing the name would kill the franchise literally. I don't know any true fan who would want that.

Bulls**t. It's up to the owners and the league.

Besides, Tennessee Oilers didn't make sense either, but the Titans got the Oilers' history. Just because they can't keep the name doesn't mean they can't keep the history. The trophies will still belong to LA.

How would it not be the case if the Niners moved to LA? There's certainly no law in place that says that, if the team moves south, they'd have to leave their name and history here in the Bay.

Why can't we have the Los Angeles 49ers? They have the Long Beach State 49ers.
[ Edited by area49 on Oct 31, 2010 at 11:18 AM ]
I would rather the Niners stay in London and never come back.
F**K LA!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
LA can't support a football team...and especially a team that's losing. I mean, our team has played like s**t for last 8 years and not one black-out. Not a lot of cities can continue to support a team year after year like that. Niners are special to the bay area and any owner will have to be a total moron to move this team.

There has been alot of blackouts

I'm gonna guess that you don't know what a NFL blackout means.

There has been not a single blackout. If the team was in LA - they would have moved back 5 years ago.
As for the trophies, there's also no rule that says that they have to stay in the Bay Area. They belong to this organization. If this organization moves, it's free to take its trophies. Doesn't matter if the Yorks or Eddie own it.

But the organization can also keep it's name, by law. They don't HAVE to give it up in any way.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I would rather the Niners stay in London and never come back.

We'll look after them. Home team, baby!
As for the trophies, there's also no rule that says that they have to stay in the Bay Area. They belong to this organization. If this organization moves, it's free to take its trophies. Doesn't matter if the Yorks or Eddie own it.

But the organization can also keep it's name, by law. They don't HAVE to give it up in any way.

lol Just look at the last few teams that moved. Cleveland Browns left the name and city in Cleveland and became the Ravens. Oklahoma City thunder left the trophy from 1979 and the team name of Supersonics back in Seattle. Seriously dude, GTFO with that s**t. This is becoming ridiculous.

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
If the 49ers move to LA, im done with the NFL.

If the 49ers stay with the YORKIES we are all done.

• hb123
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
What on earth is going on in California? Twenty years ago, when I left the state, the North hated the South and vice versa. Everyone was happy in their mutual loathing and it was a great thing for California sports.

This talk of moving the team south, by NorCal fans, no less, is dumbfounding. Has the Bay Area become so flaccid and wishy-washy that it can't agree to hate LA? Even just a little bit?

Hate LA, uhh newsflash the sacremento kings were buried almost a decade ago by the lakers, we dont even consider it a rilvary anymore, no one hates the golden state warriors because theyre from nor cal, thats stupid. Excuse me if I dont wanna run up to sf so i can shell out $1800 a month for a 500 sq foot apartment on a 45degree angle hill (no offense to sf, its a very nice place, one of my favorite places. and if i could afford to live comortably there i probably would. But LA hate for no reason is uneccessary, ok if your a giants fan and u hate the dodgers, fine, but all I know is I hear california support coming from dodgers fans who would rather see the cali team bring it home)

REAL Norcal fans HATE L.A. teams, period! I don't care who the Dodgers are playing, I root for the other team. If the 9ers moved to L.A. they would be dead in my book. A sad day for sure, but gone forever. I hate the Lakers, no matter what kind of ball they're playing. I always want them to lose too. A friend of mine in SD was lamenting the Pad's loss to the Giants and I told 'dude, look down at your feet. Don't be sad cause your standing on the Dodgers neck all the way to next season"!

if hating is your occupation, i think LA's got a full time job for u
  • hb123
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dman:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
What on earth is going on in California? Twenty years ago, when I left the state, the North hated the South and vice versa. Everyone was happy in their mutual loathing and it was a great thing for California sports.

This talk of moving the team south, by NorCal fans, no less, is dumbfounding. Has the Bay Area become so flaccid and wishy-washy that it can't agree to hate LA? Even just a little bit?

Hate LA, uhh newsflash the sacremento kings were buried almost a decade ago by the lakers, we dont even consider it a rilvary anymore, no one hates the golden state warriors because theyre from nor cal, thats stupid. Excuse me if I dont wanna run up to sf so i can shell out $1800 a month for a 500 sq foot apartment on a 45degree angle hill (no offense to sf, its a very nice place, one of my favorite places. and if i could afford to live comortably there i probably would. But LA hate for no reason is uneccessary, ok if your a giants fan and u hate the dodgers, fine, but all I know is I hear california support coming from dodgers fans who would rather see the cali team bring it home)

Well said. The NorCal insecurity and are their imagined "rivalries with SoCal are tiresome to hear about.

When I'm in LA, for instance, I never hear anyone there hating on NorCal or SF. They make vacation plans to go there and rave about how much they love it.

Plenty of LA fans root for NFL teams in the North (Raiders and the Niners), and no one hates the freakin' Warriors. They only smirk at the Kings.

i second this!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

lol Just look at the last few teams that moved. Cleveland Browns left the name and city in Cleveland and became the Ravens. Oklahoma City thunder left the trophy from 1979 and the team name of Supersonics back in Seattle. Seriously dude, GTFO with that s**t. This is becoming ridiculous.

Dude, you've got it ALL wrong.

Cleveland is the exception, not the rule. The Oilers took their history and name, as did the Rams and Colts. And the Oklahome City Thunder took the history and name of the SuperSonics. Wikipedia that s**t.

Take a chill pill and read the responses first.

Take notice at how only the OP even remotely agrees with his own idea.

oh and socalers of course but that's expected.
[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Nov 1, 2010 at 4:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone