LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 251 users in the forums

Should we start RJF?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should we start RJF?

Am I the only who thinks that maybe we would be better playing Ricky Jean-Francois instead of Aubrayo Franklin at NT? Franklin seems to be out of shape or something. Remember, RJF did take all of the reps in the off-season as well as in training camp.

Game statistics so far this season: 7 Tackles, 1 Sack, 1 Forced Fumble

[ Edited by PTulini on Oct 18, 2010 at 17:24:42 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I say we work him into the rotation a little more to see how he performs.
Originally posted by susweel:

For once, I actually agree with this guy. +1 ... just give him more snaps.
Thanks for stealing my idea!

I was waiting to see how many snaps he played on Sunday before starting this thread.

Oh well, ya snooze, ya loose.
I say give him more reps and get him more involved. If we frequently rotate them in and out, then both players will be well rested. It is a win win
I say yes based on the obvious lack of production from ABF, who last year took upwards of 3 blockers. This year he's getting stopped by 1 or 2 and not getting the penetration on the Center that this Defense needs to play to the same level they did last Season.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by oldman9er:

he should of started at the begining of the season
  • dj43
RJF is the same player as Franklin - a one-gap NT.

He has been getting some PT. It is just that the announcers do not always let you know he is in.

The problem with Franklin is NOT that he wasn't in training camp. His issue is that the league has scouted him and found they can use his one-gap slant to just direct him away from the ball carrier. Now Manusky needs to adjust.

Until this team gets a proper two-gap NT for the 3-4 system, it will continue to be less effective than the really good 3-4 teams.

Originally posted by DANADA:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by DANADA:

This. It doesn't hurt to give Franklin some opportunity to rest.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Originally posted by dj43:

He has been getting some PT. It is just that the announcers do not always let you know he is in.

The problem with Franklin is NOT that he wasn't in training camp. His issue is that the league has scouted him and found they can use his one-gap slant to just direct him away from the ball carrier. Now Manusky needs to adjust.

Until this team gets a proper two-gap NT for the 3-4 system, it will continue to be less effective than the really good 3-4 teams.

I think you're exactly right and its a problem that extends across much of the defense, it's a well-scouted, known quantity devoid of its former novelty.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by dj43:

I think you're exactly right and its a problem that extends across much of the defense, it's a well-scouted, known quantity devoid of its former novelty.

Do either of you guys know of an elite (or once elite) defense that uses the one gap system? And how is it possible that a guy of Manusky's caliber wouldn't know that?

Based on the way Franklin acted in the off season I would be more than happy to start phasing him out over the course of the season. No way we give him big money now. Same for Goldson.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 18, 2010 at 18:16:16 ]
Share 49ersWebzone