LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 94 users in the forums

Something a lot of fans don't get about Alex Smith and our offense...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Something a lot of fans don't get about Alex Smith and our offense...

On a routine series for the 49ers, they'll run it on first, run it on second, and give Smith a chance to convert a pass on third down. Against the Eagles, Smith was successful at this for the first four or five series. He even converted a 3rd and 21 in the first half of that game. If it hasn't dawned on you already, it means that we're putting Smith in difficult situations and not giving the passing game much of a margin for error. On top of that, we're playing right into opposing defenses' hands.

Meanwhile, other teams such as the Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, etc. are airing it out. Take Aaron Rodgers for example. On first down he throws it. On second down he throws it. And even if the last two plays went for incompletions, he is still throwing it on third down. And as it happens, he usually connects for a first down on one of the three or a big play. Mike Johnson said that modern offenses need big chunks of yardage, and we need to take more opportunities at earning those chunks of yardage. With guys like Ginn, Crabtree, Davis, Westbrook, and Gore... we should be elite in this category.

It doesn't matter if you're a QB, or a shooting guard in the NBA, or a batter in baseball... the more opportunities your receive, the more plays you're going to make. As it stands, Smith and the receivers aren't getting as many opportunities as they should, and for as long as that is the case, they're going to continue to underperform. In Smith's current situation, when he misses on a passing opportunity, he usually kills the drive because he is only getting to throw in long yardage and third down situations. But if he was in an offense where he was getting to throw 2 or 3 times per first down per offensive series, there wouldn't be so much pressure on each pass and he might actually be able to get into a rhythm. If you've watched Smith play, you know he excels in two minute drills. Why do you think this is? Isn't the easy logical connection being that he gets in a rhythm because he gets the opportunity to throw, throw throw?

I wish Singletary would wake up. I wish Smith and the rest of the offense would get the opportunity to come out and play as many other NFL teams do. And if those wishes do come true, I think Smith optimism will be back on the rise. Yesterday he gutted out a very tough game and made some very nice throws. I think playing on the road will be good for him as it will be a chance for him to escape the cluess, moronic, pathetic, boo birds.
Post long, attention span short tonight.
You could have placed this in any of the Alex Smith thread...

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=147213&page=80#post1188

Share 49ersWebzone