LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 300 users in the forums

After a grueling 4 weeks, I have come to the conclusion that... (positive)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
... our season is not over by a long shot.

I went through and analyzed all of our games thus far, my expectations before hand, and what I think now.

Before the season, I was being a homer, I'll admit it... and I had us going 3-1, our only loss being to the Saints. My cousin and I were having a discussion about this and we both made some really good points. A few of the things we came up with are:

Out of the first 4 games, 3 were away games and 2 of those games were at the 2 hardest places to play in the NFL. It's widely known that Qwest field and their 12th man, and Arrowhead are EASILY the 2 most hostile environments for visiting opponents to play. Couple that with our “issues” (headset malfunctions, crappy play calling and QB consistency) and it gets just that much tougher. Yes before the season, we would have liked to say we take those games, but in those environments you just never know.

Out of the first 4 games, two of those games were against arguably 2 of the best teams in the NFC and maybe top 5 in the league. Both being playoff teams, both having EXCELLENT QB’s and both of whom obliterated us in their last meetings. Before the season, I hoped for a win against both teams, but really didn't expect it. The Falcons and Saints are better personnel wise (QB Position AHEM) and they are EXTREMELY well coached.

Ok so that leaves us where we stand right now, at 0-4. Looking back did we honestly think we'd be0-4? Probably not, but did we think we’d be 4-0? Probably not either. I think 2-2 was believable with 3-1 being the majority’s expectation taking into consideration the hype surrounding us, but with it being anyone’s game on any given Sunday especially at stadiums like Arrowhead and Qwest... those blowout losses certainly weren't out of the question and were a possibility (obviously). The other 2 games, we played our hearts out, hung in there and showed toughness. We fought tooth and nail, but it was mistakes that killed us, and I will say that the defense did not show up when it needed to make the key, game finishing stops in both of those games. We beat ourselves, allowing the better prepared, and coached teams capitalize on our mistakes.

Starting the first 4 games of the season with 3 of them being away games, two of them on earlier time schedules, and 2 of them at the TOUGHEST places to play in the NFL, could have been the worst possible way for us to start our season. Historically in the Alex Smith Era and maybe a little before, we have SUCKED on the road, and we have SUCKED even more on earlier time schedules. 3 out of the first 4 games had either 1 or both of those factors in play, so I'm not shocked we couldn't pull it off. We seriously lack of mental toughness on the part of our coaching staff and players to come away with Wins with those circumstances in play. We are not there yet. We thought we were, but it’s obvious we aren’t.

Fast forward to the rest of our schedule. Things are looking up. None of our road games from here on out scare me. There is no “mystique” of Carolina, Arizona, San Diego or St. Louis, only Green Bay. I won't go over the rest of the schedule game by game and try to predict wins, but I would not be shocked at one of the biggest mid season turnarounds in franchise history. My cuz guarantees we will go 10-6. Now that’s wishful thinking, but anything is possible. I believe we have weathered the worst of the storm, and it seems like smooth sailing with an occasional choppy patch of ocean is ahead. 10-6 seems doable if we can fix the mistakes that killed us through the first 4.

Here’s to a turnaround that will rejuvenate the pride, re-establish the trust, and earn back the respect of the best fans in the NFL.
[ Edited by zozell on Oct 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
the turnaround starts Sunday night under the lights at the 'Stick against Philly and their scrub QB.
Whats funny is that were still only 2 games back....and right now were in 2nd place in the West (everybody else is tied for 1st)

Kevin Kolb, i would like to introduce you to somebody

This team is too good at finding ways to lose to win 10 of their next 12 games. I like the optimism, but I'll believe it when I see it.
This team is bad because the coaching staff is horrible. I don't see anything positive in this season, we lost games we had no business losing and threw away games we could have won. I can't believe that this team will turn it around until I see it.
Im with you man! 10-6 here we come. Lets Go Niners!!
  • Jiks
We're seconds away from being 2-2. If we could stop shooting ourselves in the foot we could have a chance at doing something. As said earlier our division is week. If we can get some of our boneheaded kinks out we have a chance. It starts Sunday night.
This is exactly what I've been thinking over the past couple of weeks.

if you look at the schedule, we've had one of the toughest opening 4 weeks of any team. 3 away games and our only home game was against the super bowl champions.

yes, I was expecting at least one win, but 0-4 isn't the worst and people on this board always seem to want to jump to such dramatic changes... start david carr? you've got to be kidding me.

The only thing I don't like about the rest of our schedule is we lose a home game because we're playing in London.
You think we weathered the storm? Were 0-4.

Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
You think we weathered the storm? Were 0-4.

I guess we have different definitions of "weathered the storm". Maybe I should have said, the worst of it is passed us.
Originally posted by teeohh:
This team is bad because the coaching staff is horrible. I don't see anything positive in this season, we lost games we had no business losing and threw away games we could have won. I can't believe that this team will turn it around until I see it.

But teeohh, this coaching staff proved last week that it came prepared and well coached. Singletary had his team up even after a grueling week in the media and within the team with M. Lewis abruptly leaving. I really expected Singletary to fail, but he showed me what a true HC does under duress: Get your team prepared.

This team was. If it weren't for PLAYER errors, we would have won both the Saints and Falcon games. Instead, we add more fuel to the fire. Still, Singletary is on a short leash, IMO, being scrutinized by Jed. Singletary showed that he can still get his team to come out and fight hard which they did.

Did you even think that score was going to be that close or that we would lose another game on a last second FG?

No. Nobody did. Everyone expected a blow out by Atlanta. That's why this coaching staff gets another week. Let's see how we do at home now. Two games at home could do wonders for a squad especially if we come out as fans like we did at that NO game showing our support.

This talk of bags on the heads and not going to the games in protest is utter nonsense at this point.

I agree with Z here. Don't give up and we are still not out of it by a long shot.

Only two games back of the lead, two! That's it with an easier schedule to boot.

We will come back and at least make it a fight.

Originally posted by valrod33:

Kevin Kolb, i would like to introduce you to somebody

god I love our uniforms
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by teeohh:

But teeohh, this coaching staff proved last week that it came prepared and well coached. Singletary had his team up even after a grueling week in the media and within the team with M. Lewis abruptly leaving. I really expected Singletary to fail, but he showed me what a true HC does under duress: Get your team prepared.

This team was. If it weren't for PLAYER errors, we would have won both the Saints and Falcon games. Instead, we add more fuel to the fire. Still, Singletary is on a short leash, IMO, being scrutinized by Jed. Singletary showed that he can still get his team to come out and fight hard which they did.

Did you even think that score was going to be that close or that we would lose another game on a last second FG?

No. Nobody did. Everyone expected a blow out by Atlanta. That's why this coaching staff gets another week. Let's see how we do at home now. Two games at home could do wonders for a squad especially if we come out as fans like we did at that NO game showing our support.

This talk of bags on the heads and not going to the games in protest is utter nonsense at this point.

I agree with Z here. Don't give up and we are still not out of it by a long shot.

Only two games back of the lead, two! That's it with an easier schedule to boot.

We will come back and at least make it a fight.

That's what I'm Sayin!!!
Makes me wonder if we would still have high hopes if our schedule looked like this:

1. @SEA
2. NO
3. @KC
4. @ATL
5. GB
6. @STL
7. BTL
8. NYJ
9. @ARZ
10. BYE
11. @CHI
12. SEA