LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 226 users in the forums

Tale of 2 QB's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dshearn:
The two are not interchangeable.....smith DOES not have the skill set to run the west coast offense....he would have been benched or cut in green bay.

under 10 yard inaccuracy and most of his INTs have been under 10 yards.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Nope, because this organization lacked the skills to give any QB we drafted the proper training and time to develop. Instead, he would've never had continuity, the proper skilled players and offensive line around him. This team was in shambles and should've not only got a QB #1 overall, but brought in a veteran to help bring him along.

~Dann~

Sounds good to me, besides all the greats who come along every once in a while, Rodgers had Favre,
Vick had Mcnabb (who he said helped him throw better from the pocket, and it shows)
Young had Montana, and so on and so forth.
Even Eli had Peyton to learn from im sure, and they both had Archie.

We had who Rattay, lol. But spot on brotha.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
alex sucks

Rodgers is a pro bowler

end of thread

Thought most of the Alex haters would come out to play but what I was trying to get at was that we we a horrible team then with zero play makers.

So a Rodgers starting on that team the next year equals what, how many wins, does he turn into the player he is today or would he have been ruined like Alex.

To just say that Rodgers was the answer is so simplistic it makes me sick. We had no oline (for all of the last 7 years), have had no WR's to throw to and 6 different OC's.

I know Alex is the common thread throught all of this but I think the biggest problem we've had is that this ownership needed to spend the money and get us a head coach with vision like Bill Walsh had and then see it thru.

Instead we've played musical chairs for 7 years and still don't know who we are?

Lets make it easier to comprehend. If Smith was drafted by GB, sat behind Favre, and took over as their starter.......do you think the Packers would be just as good with him right now than with Rodgers ? If you think yes, you do not know football.

Rodgers has better QB instinct. He can make plays out of nothing. He gets the team involved. And he doesnt fret under pressure (most sacked QB last season). Would Rodgers have led our team to the SB in his rookie season ? Nope. But theres' no doubt the team would be MUCH farther along with him as our QB.

So you think Smith would have been the same player under the circumstances that Rodgers had? Maybe so.

And yes, I know Rodgers is better now but what you fail to comprehend is the fact that he sat back and watched/learned from a hall of fame qp for 3 years. Has had the same system for 7 years, and has one of the best wr groups in the leauge.

What about that don't you comprehend. If you cannot see the difference between the two situations that these two guy have been put thru then I guess there is not much else to say.

The last 7 years are not just about Smith is what I'm trying to get at and if we think that he was/is are only problem then we are going nowhere.

For some odd reason, a lot of you guys feel that Smith suffered from some major mental damage because he was put in as a rookie. I get that Rodgers had some advatage by sitting behind far, but there's no way you can conclude that that is the reason why he's a star, and Smith's a bust. A lot of QBs come into the league and start right away. Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, Warner, McNabb, etc.....all came in to play for teams and had success. So you say they had the opportunity to play for the same system ? Fine. But at least Smith could show some signs of being good. Pocket presence, accuracy, instincts arent determined by the system you play in. In his 7 years in the league, I highly doubt that ALL 7 of his OCs have told him to go through his progressions in the first 1.5 seconds and throw it to the RB. I highly doubt he was taught to throw the ball away each and every time he couldnt find an open guy. I highly doubt his coaches told him to throw in in areas where coincidentally there happened to be 3 defenders ready to grab a tipped pass.

Somewhere along the line the QB has to come thorugh and show that yeah, maybe the system is flawed, but he is capable of playing under pressure and making the plays when it counts. Alex has done that what......maybe 2x his entire career ?

I agree with you. People often frame this scenerio in black & white, as if every individual has the same development curve. But the reality is some people are naturals at their respective skills, and rise to challenges quite heartily. Others are in over their heads & shrink under the pressure. In a very very competetive field, that talent difference seperates those that rise to the top from those that eventually wash out without much success.

While a lot of people thrw out the sob story that Smith was thrown to the wolves without much support, I feel I have to counter that argument. I see Smith as a guy who had numerous opportunities, and still has a golden opportunity. You can't blame anyone else but him if he doesn't rise to the last opportunity extended to him, regardless of what transpired in the past.

You are making my point, which is that things are not black and white and you cannot say that because Rodgers turned out the way he did in GB that he would have also turned out that way playing for us. Qb's people thought coming out of college have been ruined by bad teams/coaching and vis versa.

There are way to many variables into what makes a good to great qb in the NFL.
Some come in that way but some take time and develope.

I just wish we would have more of a stable foundation throughout this entire organization form top to bottom.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
alex sucks

Rodgers is a pro bowler

end of thread

Thought most of the Alex haters would come out to play but what I was trying to get at was that we we a horrible team then with zero play makers.

So a Rodgers starting on that team the next year equals what, how many wins, does he turn into the player he is today or would he have been ruined like Alex.

To just say that Rodgers was the answer is so simplistic it makes me sick. We had no oline (for all of the last 7 years), have had no WR's to throw to and 6 different OC's.

I know Alex is the common thread throught all of this but I think the biggest problem we've had is that this ownership needed to spend the money and get us a head coach with vision like Bill Walsh had and then see it thru.

Instead we've played musical chairs for 7 years and still don't know who we are?

I still believe Sing is the right person for the job. Has he made some mistakes, yes but what coach you know doesn't have some growing pains along the way? I believe Sing has a vision and the players respect and play hard for him. Most of the fans wanted Scott Linehan as our OC, but Scott and Mike didn’t have the same offensive philosophy. How is Scott Linehan working out in Detroit? Not very well, fans always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Changing coaches every two to three years is not the answer either.
I think we are a good cornerback and pass rusher away from having a good defense. On the other side of the ball we still need an offensive lineman, stud receiver, and quarterback away from being a real good team.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Nope, because this organization lacked the skills to give any QB we drafted the proper training and time to develop. Instead, he would've never had continuity, the proper skilled players and offensive line around him. This team was in shambles and should've not only got a QB #1 overall, but brought in a veteran to help bring him along.

~Dann~

Sounds good to me, besides all the greats who come along every once in a while, Rodgers had Favre,
Vick had Mcnabb (who he said helped him throw better from the pocket, and it shows)
Young had Montana, and so on and so forth.
Even Eli had Peyton to learn from im sure, and they both had Archie.

We had who Rattay, lol. But spot on brotha.

This is funny. Vick took the Falcons to the NFC Championship game before he was an Eagle. He was a probowler.

Eli had Peyton and Archie to learn from ?

Are you serious with this stuff ? Just goes to show how far you guys will stretch to defend Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone