LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 256 users in the forums

Singletary: Heitman's job in jeopardy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Rachal sucks. I'm sick of waiting. He needs to be on the bench. I don't care if it's Snyder or Heitmann but I vote for a new RG.
  • dj43
I am amazed at all the hate for Rachal. He is a very talented YOUNG player who was making good progress in camp this year, and then he gets hurt early in the first game. Many pro observers felt he would have been the best OL coming out of college if he had not needed to turn pro a year early to help his mother who has ongoing health problems.

Ray Brown was helping him a lot and it is fair to say this was the first time he really had an experienced player help him with the fine points of playing guard in the pros.

No one has said how serious this "stinger" is but when he does return, he deserves a chance to play.

Heitmann will have missed some critical time to re-build his strength. He won't be ready to go full speed until after the bye week in all likelihood. By then it will be clear whether Rachal will keep his spot or not. I am betting he will make a lot of haters into believers.
Originally posted by dj43:
I am amazed at all the hate for Rachal. He is a very talented YOUNG player who was making good progress in camp this year, and then he gets hurt early in the first game. Many pro observers felt he would have been the best OL coming out of college if he had not needed to turn pro a year early to help his mother who has ongoing health problems.

Ray Brown was helping him a lot and it is fair to say this was the first time he really had an experienced player help him with the fine points of playing guard in the pros.

No one has said how serious this "stinger" is but when he does return, he deserves a chance to play.

Heitmann will have missed some critical time to re-build his strength. He won't be ready to go full speed until after the bye week in all likelihood. By then it will be clear whether Rachal will keep his spot or not. I am betting he will make a lot of haters into believers.

I don't have any hate for him and do feel he is a better run blocker than Heitmaan, but he's not well-rounded in terms of the entire game. Inserting Heitmann will still be an upgrade along with a nice security blanket sitting right next to Davis to help.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:

I don't have any hate for him and do feel he is a better run blocker than Heitmaan, but he's not well-rounded in terms of the entire game. Inserting Heitmann will still be an upgrade along with a nice security blanket sitting right next to Davis to help.
I am not sure whether he is a better run blocker than Heitmann. We haven't seen enough of him this year to know. Last year he had issues hitting the correct guy and picking up blitzes. Whether or not he solved those issues in camp is something we won't know until he gets healthy and back in the lineup. I won't judge him based on five minutes in Seattle.

[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 21, 2010 at 17:42:55 ]
Why would we "not mention" Snyder? He just had a great game. I'd rather have him start at RG vs. a guy coming off of a broken leg and hasn't played RG in who knows how long.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Rachal sucks. I'm sick of waiting. He needs to be on the bench. I don't care if it's Snyder or Heitmann but I vote for a new RG.

My name is susweel and I agree with this statement.
Originally posted by redrathman:
And Baas only played Center for one year in College. What's your point?

When he played RG, he was one of our best linemen. When he played Center, we couldn't gain 1 yard many, many times along with the front of the pocket being pushed back.

He would make for a very solid guard and do you actually think Chilo or Snyder are better RG's than what Heittman would provide us?

David Baas also had four pre-season games and first team repetitions to prepare for playing center. He essentially had six weeks to relearn the position. I'd argue that he still has quite a bit of work to do. I'm not opposed to allowing Baas continued repetitions at center, but moving Heitmann to Guard at this stage of his career would be foolish. This isn't Madden Football.

What makes you think Heitmann would be a better Guard than Center, if David Baas couldn't play Guard?

Oh, that's right. Your own personal bias.

So your argument for Baas being able to play Center well even though he has never played Center in the NFL is because he had 4 preseason games to prepare? He played well in that 1st preseason game and didn't look crappy needing a few games until the last preseason game. This points further to Heitmann being able to come in at a position he was successful for for a couple of years without much prep.

And you're comparing Baas "experience" at Center over Hiettman's lack of experience at RG? Heittman was our starting RG and performed VERY well at that position for a couple of years until Newberry was hurt and he was forced to move to Center.

And to the bold: because Heitmann WAS a better Guard than Center. I will even give you that he may be as good at Guard as Center but what you are forgetting is that he sure as hell is an upgrade over our current RG.

I like how you use Baas' immense preseason experience as an NFL Center over a seasons worth of successful experience Heittman had at RG.

Heitman played guard for us back in 2002 when we had Jeff Garcia, and went 10-6 and won the division.
Pretty sure that's the Line(Minus Iupati and Davis of course) that I said we should have gone with LAST season. But with Staley at RT and Sims at Left.

I should be getting paid for this stuff.

And before some wiseass decides to talk smack about my stance on Onsides, it was a valid option.

Just cause YOU wouldn't do it don't mean I don't have an idea of what I'm talking about.

~Ceadder
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I do not wanna see Baas moved from center. Minus the snap last night he's played really well and seems to be getting better.

I'm very wary of messing with any chemistry our oline gets cuz you can see how good our O can be when the oline plays well.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Pretty sure that's the Line(Minus Iupati and Davis of course) that I said we should have gone with LAST season. But with Staley at RT and Sims at Left.

I should be getting paid for this stuff.

And before some wiseass decides to talk smack about my stance on Onsides, it was a valid option.

Just cause YOU wouldn't do it don't mean I don't have an idea of what I'm talking about.

~Ceadder

^Wait so you predicted this offensive line move (which probably isn't going to happen anyway) except for:

1. we drafted davis
2. we drafted iupati
3. staley at RT
4. sims at LT

[ Edited by Leathaface on Sep 21, 2010 at 15:57:57 ]

granted baas is about as good in protection as heitmann and he may all the protections as well id rather see heitrmann start for us he is a great C and is very consistant i dont think weve had a bad snap from him yet
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Why would we "not mention" Snyder? He just had a great game. I'd rather have him start at RG vs. a guy coming off of a broken leg and hasn't played RG in who knows how long.

I wouldn't say great. He had a good game, but he had a false-start that cost ultimately cost us a first down. Okay, that's one mistake and perhaps overly nitpicky, but with Snyder the issue vs. Heitmann is consistency.

Heitmann can consistently play well. Snyder does not. More often than not, he's getting beat by simple moves on the inside, and doesn't play as well as Heitmann when it comes to the issue of leverage.

Unless the leg fracture is worse than we think, I would take Heitmann over both Rachal and Snyder, barring some miraculous turnaround in their play from what we're used to seeing over the past couple of years.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I wouldn't say great. He had a good game, but he had a false-start that cost ultimately cost us a first down. Okay, that's one mistake and perhaps overly nitpicky, but with Snyder the issue vs. Heitmann is consistency.

Heitmann can consistently play well. Snyder does not. More often than not, he's getting beat by simple moves on the inside, and doesn't play as well as Heitmann when it comes to the issue of leverage.

Unless the leg fracture is worse than we think, I would take Heitmann over both Rachal and Snyder, barring some miraculous turnaround in their play from what we're used to seeing over the past couple of years.

i think getting the plays earlier made a humongius difference in our whole offense more time to read the D more time to make adjustmenrs

IM LOVING THE WRISTBAND

i mad we didnt use it earlier
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

i think getting the plays earlier made a humongius difference in our whole offense more time to read the D more time to make adjustmenrs

IM LOVING THE WRISTBAND

i mad we didnt use it earlier

I think it also had a lot to do with Smith's ability to recognize the defense and make the right assignments, etc.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
interesting...maybe someone should show sing the ball getting snapped 50 ft. over smith's head.

That was a costly mistake, but the line has looked a lot more stout in the middle with Baas. Don't just weigh the negative... that is a flawed way to evaluate.
Share 49ersWebzone