LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 150 users in the forums

Who can develop our next QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not another Alex Smith thread. This thread just operates under the assumption that Jed and Trent move to acquire another starting QB in the offseason, and that they use a high draft pick to get that QB.

If you don't think that is going to happen just keep walking.

But if it does happen and we do draft another QB....who is going to develop him?

Lets not discuss who to draft, again lets just assume we draft somebody in the 1st or 2nd.

Anybody got any names? We need somebody who will most likely stick around with the new kid. Should we get a HC with QB skills. OC with QB skills. Just get a QB's coach. Or do we have a good developer on staff now?
The dude who we have on staff already Mike Johsnon or whatever the hell his name is
Norv Turner will probably be available.
Originally posted by valrod33:
The dude who we have on staff already Mike Johsnon or whatever the hell his name is

Anybody know what his capacity has been over the last few years?

He is already a great candidate because it does not look like he is highly coveted.

Another stupid question. Is there really no way we can keep a guy around for 3 years based on contractual obligations?? Can Jed set him up with perks? I want to see if Jed learned a damn thing from Eddie
cut alex and make him the OC
Originally posted by crabman82:
cut alex and make him the OC

• fly15
  • Veteran
Glenn Coffee
Originally posted by danimal:

He is already a great candidate because it does not look like he is highly coveted.

Another stupid question. Is there really no way we can keep a guy around for 3 years based on contractual obligations?? Can Jed set him up with perks? I want to see if Jed learned a damn thing from Eddie

Isnt that what we did with Raye? Im not sure if its in his contract but he was only offered the job with the plan of him staying at least 2 years even if another job came up

i could be wrong but i remember something like that being said when he was hired

[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 14, 2010 at 11:29:50 ]
Originally posted by rxrunner:

thats a handsome man right there

• kem99
  • Veteran
Not another Alex Smith thread. This thread just operates under the assumption that Jed and Trent move to acquire another starting QB in the offseason, and that they use a high draft pick to get that QB.

But if it does happen and we do draft another QB....who is going to develop him?

Lets not discuss who to draft, again lets just assume we draft somebody in the 1st or 2nd.

Anybody got any names? We need somebody who will most likely stick around with the new kid. Should we get a HC with QB skills. OC with QB skills. Just get a QB's coach. Or do we have a good developer on staff now?

Well, if they're going to go the draft and develop route of another young QB, it probably needs to be a new coaching regime with the HC being an offensive guy with his own system. Raye is here because the younger, innovative potential OCs believe they will be hamstrung by Singletary and because Singletary fears the young OCs want to be HCs and will bolt if/when they become a "hot" name and get HC interviews and offers.

The obvious choice would be Gruden, though Gruden's best success came with veteran QBs suited for his system (Gannon, Brad Johnson). While not sure who at this point, if the 49ers fail this year and Smith leaves, I think they are more likely to go the trade for a young veteran route than draft another QB high. Other than some tweaking, the rest of the roster is pretty good. The 49ers are almost kind of like the Vikings pre-Favre. If Smith proves that he's not the QB of the present and future, I don't think the 49ers will want to draft a young QB and wait for him to catch up to the rest of the team unless it is someone they think can start from Day 1 like Matt Ryan, Flacco, etc.

Isnt that what we did with Raye? Im not sure if its in his contract but he was only offered the job with the plan of him staying at least 2 years even if a nother job came up?

i could be wrong but i remember something like that being said when he was hired

that would be great if there is some precedent.

The one thing that Alex haters and supporters agreed on is that it really did not matter who we drafted since we could not hold onto an OC.

So my thinking this time around is....lets get somebody who is willing to guarantee they will stay and be handcuffed to the QB. If it all works out, that persons career is going to blow up, but they gotta stick around for preferably 3-5 years

Isnt that what we did with Raye? Im not sure if its in his contract but he was only offered the job with the plan of him staying at least 2 years even if a nother job came up?

that would be great if there is some precedent.

The one thing that Alex haters and supporters agreed on is that it really did not matter who we drafted since we could not hold onto an OC.

So my thinking this time around is....lets get somebody who is willing to guarantee they will stay and be handcuffed to the QB. If it all works out, that persons career is going to blow up, but they gotta stick around for preferably 3-5 years

that could work and would be interesting if we could do that
Originally posted by kem99:

Well, if they're going to go the draft and develop route of another young QB, it probably needs to be a new coaching regime with the HC being an offensive guy with his own system. Raye is here because the younger, innovative potential OCs believe they will be hamstrung by Singletary and because Singletary fears the young OCs want to be HCs and will bolt if/when they become a "hot" name and get HC interviews and offers.

The obvious choice would be Gruden, though Gruden's best success came with veteran QBs suited for his system (Gannon, Brad Johnson). While not sure who at this point, if the 49ers fail this year and Smith leaves, I think they are more likely to go the trade for a young veteran route than draft another QB high. Other than some tweaking, the rest of the roster is pretty good. The 49ers are almost kind of like the Vikings pre-Favre. If Smith proves that he's not the QB of the present and future, I don't think the 49ers will want to draft a young QB and wait for him to catch up to the rest of the team unless it is someone they think can start from Day 1 like Matt Ryan, Flacco, etc.

I think I like the option you described the best. Where we get an HC whose it will be his OFF system, so the loss of the OC's almost won't matter. Maybe then the 2 most important guys will be the HC and th QB coach. I think it is easier to hang on to those as opposed to an OC.

2 names I like is young Shanahan and young Schottenheimer as QB coaches, but they are pretty much committed to their current jobs obviously
Lets hire Norv Turner again so that he can leave us after 1 season again. That way we can get another season of making excuses for Alex.

Nothing is going to help this team. They are losers from top to bottom. I hate it because we wasted so much talent.
Share 49ersWebzone