There are 181 users in the forums

Will Troy Smith see any time in an 'unconventional role'?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will Troy Smith see any time in an 'unconventional role'?

I would be shocked if the 49ers don't use Troy Smith in at least a couple of packages this year -- maybe even as a distraction. Here are a couple options for Smith:

- Put him in as a distraction: stick him in at wideout in a run play, just to get the defense to hesitate for a moment

- put him at WR: Coach Harbaugh said that Smith can play WR and RB, and he's done a decent job.

- Wildcat - Decent arm, ran a "disappointing" 4.7 40 at the combine (runs faster than that)

- Endarounds - endaround/WR-options, fake reverses, etc etc.

- Running Back - I see this as unlikely
[ Edited by nickbradley on Sep 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM ]
Where is the " I don't have a fricken clue because he hasn't even been on the roster for 24 hours yet" option ??
Originally posted by backontop:
Where is the " I don't have a fricken clue because he hasn't even been on the roster for 24 hours yet" option ??

Not a college football fan, huh?
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Not really
GOD I hope not.

Not really

Never heard of Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith? Now, you obviously cannot extrapolate college FB performance to the pros, but Smith has decent physical tools and just needs to be used properly.
first instinctual reaction is usually the most logical.

Got damnit!
Everytime we sign somebody, he becomes flavor of the month , and peeps won't be happy until we see him play and fail.They're free agents and draft dropdowns for a reason.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Got damnit!
Everytime we sign somebody, he becomes flavor of the month , and peeps won't be happy until we see him play and fail.They're free agents and draft dropdowns for a reason.

Dude -- I'm not some Nate Davis fanboy, all I'm saying is that we signed a fairly athletic QB that can play other positions.
Does anyone think we can use him in short yardage situations, like in Qb/Hb options or anything like that, cause we do suck in short yardage situations..
Originally posted by AKfanster:
GOD I hope not.

He replaces M-Rob in the 'taser'.

Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:
Does anyone think we can use him in short yardage situations, like in Qb/Hb options or anything like that, cause we do suck in short yardage situations..

I think we'll be much better in short-yardage this year, you can see the 'push' we're getting behind Iupati.

Dixon is our short-yardage back.
Originally posted by CrAnKD4TCRabTree:

I think we'll be much better in short-yardage this year, you can see the 'push' we're getting behind Iupati.

Dixon is our short-yardage back.

Honestly I think Dixon would fail even if short yardage, it seems like he just ran into a wall every run when he played vs 1st stringers in I think week 2. I know hes the bigger and more powerful back but Id seriously rather see Gore run on 3rd and 1 than Dixon.. And its not like hes a Brandon Jacobs like oger, hes 6'1 235, Gore is 220. its a big difference but its not really a big difference..
Originally posted by AKfanster:
GOD I hope not.

He replaces M-Rob in the 'taser'.

no thanks, if our offense starts burning on all cylinders we wont need the tazer or T. Smith!
  • Nyner
He wasn't good enough for the Ravens and I'm betting he's not going to be good enough for us as well.......Teams don't release their good players.After 3 years I'm sure they know what he's got.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Got damnit!

Dude -- I'm not some Nate Davis fanboy, all I'm saying is that we signed a fairly athletic QB that can play other positions.

Qb- No..if nate davis doesn't get to play neither will troy smith
Wr- No we've got plenty of those too
Endarounds- No we've got ginn and williams for those
Rb- Yeah right
Taser- No that s**t doesn't work in SF

3rd string lets hope Alex plays well enough to keep his job because after him it's a free fall
Share 49ersWebzone