There are 97 users in the forums

concerned with new O-line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Snyder was a friggin' nightmare at RT I can't believe that the coaching staff even uses the word "versatile lineman" when describing him. Anything is better than him at RT.

As others have mentioned though, the center position concerns me more than anything, especially with Baas pitching grounders in shotgun formation. I hope he gets up to speed.

Snyder is the only player on the team who can play 4 positions on the OL. Maybe not great at any particular one position, but well enough to help the team survive in the meantime. Hence, the "versatile" label.
Originally posted by Snider8706:
We're going to have the best O-line in the league.

Not in 2010, and probably not in 2011. Hopefully, by 2012.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Snyder was a friggin' nightmare at RT I can't believe that the coaching staff even uses the word "versatile lineman" when describing him. Anything is better than him at RT.

As others have mentioned though, the center position concerns me more than anything, especially with Baas pitching grounders in shotgun formation. I hope he gets up to speed.

Snyder is the only player on the team who can play 4 positions on the OL. Maybe not great at any particular one position, but well enough to help the team survive in the meantime. Hence, the "versatile" label.

My point exactly he can't play tackle for s**t so take that position that he can "play" off the list. He is probably a below average guard and that's the only position I'd ever want to see him at. And "not great" at any of them may be a bit of an understatement.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I don't see why we should even bother with these concerns as it relates to the rookies. At some point, they have to play, and I am glad that they are talented enough to come in and start as rookies. With them, potentially things will get better as the season goes on. We wills ee flashes of brilliance and times where they will get beat. I'll take that over Snyder and Baas who have probably shown us what they have over the last 5 seasons.

Agreed, in one sense. We know what we have in Snyder and Baas. They are not suddenly going to become starters in this league. So, why not accelerate the learning curve.

However, the main concern I have is Smith's development. You simply don't want to throw guys not ready into the starting lineup just because of the other player's mediocrity. The rooks better be ready to play, or sit the bench. They are getting their chance to show what they've got.

Expect Iupati to be substantially better than Davis in 2010.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Always....even more-so now. Were trying to take that next step forward. Hearing about injuries & starting both rookie lineman.....
Originally posted by Snider8706:
We're going to have the best O-line in the league.

Not in 2010, and probably not in 2011. Hopefully, by 2012.

It took the Jets a while to solidify their o-line so yeah...if we can be in that position by 2012 I'd be ecstatic.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by crabman82:
i'm excited about seeing a new center, really can it be worse than last year? sometimes in life change is good.....who was the famous yankee who got into a game cus of injury and never gave up his spot? not saying that will happen but our o-line has been brutal since 2006, time for a change up

I'm with you, crab if Heitmann doesn't watch out he may lose his starting gig.

Not a chance. The team would have made this move, or gave Baas an opportunity, long before if Baas was anywhere near Heitmann's level. Both Baas and Wragge are backups in this league. Switching interior line positions is not going to automatically make him a better player.

Do you think we take a harder look at Center's this year in the draft? Maybe Pouncey for instance.

A ton of variables will determine the team's priorities in the 2011 Draft, especially at center. Will Heitmann return to full health? My guess is that he will be fine. A broken leg is 100 times better than an ACL. Generally, players can come back and play at the same level, no problem. They just need to rest and heal.

My guess is that Heitmann will miss 6 weeks, and come back ready to go, and handle the rest of the year fine. He's been healthy most of his career. And, the team likes his role as the leader of the line. He is the anchor, the team captain, and the guy who can help develop the young pups.

As for Baas, he is on a one-year contract, and I believe this is the end of the road for him. I do not expect him to suddenly emerge as starter material during 2010, and wouldn't be surprised at all if Wragge leapfrogs him as the opening day starter. I believe the team will keep Wragge next year as their emergency interior lineman, and also release Wallace after 2010. So, they will need to add another young body.

I think Heitmann's health and play after his return will be the determining factor of how the team approaches the draft. If he looks strong, then the team will probably use a third day pick on another developmental guy who can start in 2012 (Rounds 4-7). If they feel that Heitmann is possibly getting too long in the tooth, and are looking for a young kid to challenge him in camp, they will select someone in the first three rounds.

When Heitmann is healthy, he will be the starter. The only question is when.

You don't think Wallace gets cut when we drop to 53? Also what is your take with the Snyder vs Boone battle. Personally I think Snyder sucks all around so keeping him for versatility is dumb because he sucks everywhere. Boone may have the upside and could eventually be that #3 OT when Simms leaves.

My point exactly he can't play tackle for s**t so take that position that he can "play" off the list. He is probably a below average guard and that's the only position I'd ever want to see him at. And "not great" at any of them may be a bit of an understatement.

The numbers game in the 45 man game roster really makes the guys who play multiple positions extra valuable. This is why Boone really has to prove he can play LT, or he simply won't ever make a game day roster. Wragge plays all three interior positions, and can jump in at the drop the hat. Snyder has that same ability, even if his play is mediocre.

In other words, you may not get high quality play with Snyder, but it is not going to be a disaster, like throwing in a player who has very little understanding of the different positions/roles, etc. At least Snyder will know the plays, and where to go on each down. That is his value.

The numbers game in the 45 man game roster really makes the guys who play multiple positions extra valuable. This is why Boone really has to prove he can play LT, or he simply won't ever make a game day roster. Wragge plays all three interior positions, and can jump in at the drop the hat. Snyder has that same ability, even if his play is mediocre.

In other words, you may not get high quality play with Snyder, but it is not going to be a disaster, like throwing in a player who has very little understanding of the different positions/roles, etc. At least Snyder will know the plays, and where to go on each down. That is his value.

I agree but I hope to God Boone makes the roster over him
Originally posted by alwayzA9er:
I understand that there is much talent in our two first round picks, but I am concerned with how raw they are and how they might struggle early on in the season against pro player. Yes, they have gone against some pros in training camp but there are going to be many players they have never fought against.

My question is, how have other rookie O-linemen fared in previous drafts on other teams when starting at LG and/or RT.

For the record, I am more concerned with pass protection than run blocking.

There will obviously be bumps in the road as Staley had in 2006. What scares me a little is that the opener is in Seattle which we know has the highest offensive false-start/offsides rate for opposing teams in the NFL. That will be a huge test . . . hopefully the running game is plugged-in.

Skinny_Post

RT @Astand49: @Skinny_Post who is our starting center if we played tomorrow? >> w/o question, David Baas

Skinny_Post

RT @Ralph209: @Skinny_Post Will Davis eventually take over LT position and be considered elite? >> I assume that's the long-term plan
again, this is what I was worried about showing up at practice.....

"Guard-turned-new-center Davis Baas put one snap on the ground and two shotgun snaps high, one day after starter Eric Heitmann broke his left leg."
with heitman being out gives baas a chance to stake claim to the no1 backup for the season and maybe a starters pos in a year or 2. heitman may miss a game or two granted 1 of those games is against the saints but i think the long term effects on the season will be minimal. as for davis anchoring down the rt...it cant be worse then porter smashing simms or snyder (whoever the hell it was) or when during that saints game a couple of years back when smith put (whoever the hell it was) on his back like a turtle on the shell.

[ Edited by Allx9er on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:49:46 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Im deeply concerned with it, its got me pulling my hair out.

Share 49ersWebzone