LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 135 users in the forums

Alex Smith vs Kevin Kolb

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Seriously, Vick is better than Alex let alone the guy who's actually starting in Philly. Why bring this up? You'll drive your self nuts. I mean there's at lest 20 QB's better than our dummy of a QB, including ughhhhhhhhh the Raiders QB.. Just talk about everybody else on our team cuz the rest of our team is pretty good, it's just a shame we have a dummy holding us back. It's like we're a luxury liner and Alex is an anchor holding us at the docks.

Yep.but it is the apologists, some of which run the team, that keep him afloat. Why we have never brought in a viable option, when we had the chance, I'll never understand...
I hope Kolb does good! He's on my fantasy team.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by TX9R:
No comparison. Alex was 20 and thrown in way too early with no talent around him, got hurt and so on. Kolb had the luxury of sitting behind a top flight QB, learning one system, under one regime and got his feet wet with loads of talent around him. Of course he projects better, that's how you develop a QB and why we cranked them out for 20 years: continuity. Kolb also started a lot more games in college.

"Alex with no talent around him"......== EXCUSES, EXCUSES, EXCUSES,
I wonder what will be the next wonderfull excuse if he chokes like always... Well, now it cant be talent, or the OL, maybe we can blame Mummy Raye, that would be an option...

Those weren't excuses, those were facts. He WAS thrown in with no talent. Whether he'll suck in the future or not is irrelevant.

"Facts" Thats a good excuse....

Is there anything untrue that TX9R said?
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Before I can answer this question, I need one more piece of information... What size are Kolb's hands?

To answer your riveting question[url=Kolb's hand size]http://www.eagleseyeblog.com/qbs-hands-does-size-really-matter.html[/url]

Coincidentally this is half an inch smaller than Smiths reported hand size of 9 3/4 inches.

Interestingly, one of the guys with the biggest hands was our own former superstar Jim Druckenmiller at a whopping 11 1/4 inches. So as we see hand size s pretty overrated and not a very indicative of a QB's skill.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Seriously, Vick is better than Alex let alone the guy who's actually starting in Philly. Why bring this up? You'll drive your self nuts. I mean there's at lest 20 QB's better than our dummy of a QB, including ughhhhhhhhh the Raiders QB.. Just talk about everybody else on our team cuz the rest of our team is pretty good, it's just a shame we have a dummy holding us back. It's like we're a luxury liner and Alex is an anchor holding us at the docks.

Yep.but it is the apologists, some of which run the team, that keep him afloat. Why we have never brought in a viable option, when we had the chance, I'll never understand...

I know man, it's like we're allergic to a good QB, cuz the rest of the team is so darn solid.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:

VICK is better than Smith?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

funniest s**t ive heard in awhile
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TIM_:
We finally get a true picture of what the Niners Brass REALLY think about alex Smith (not what they put out for media consumption).
When ESPN was interviewing Trent Baalke at camp(I think it was Mort?) ,Baalke said about Alex...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not saying Alex Smith is a great quarterback in the NFL, but if we protect him and we've surrounded him with the right kind of players, put him in the right system and stay out of all the third-and-8s that we had last year, then he'll be just fine.:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is and has been my opinion about Alex in 2010. He won't be anything special in the NFL BUT if we don't ask him to do too much,then the team around him can make up for his shortcomings. The REAL truth emerges ! I wonder if Baalke is in trouble for telling it like it is ,instead of trying to build up Alex's confidence ?

Not to start another long debate...but how many QB's don't need to be protected, surrounded with WR's and RB's, be in a system that suits them and stay out of being in 3rd and longs consistently???

I know there is a contingent of 49er fans that don't want to hear "excuses" for Smith and that's fine at this point but what do you think Steve Young would have done if he had stayed in TB, never had the 49ers OL protecting him, never had Rice, Jones, Waters, etc. to throw and hand-off to, never was in the 49ers system with Shanahan as the OC? I love Young but I'm guessing he probably wouldn't be in the HOF and would have had a much different career.
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
no more smith talk!

Don't tell me.
Show me!

Alex will show us all dont worry
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
No comparison. Alex was 20 and thrown in way too early with no talent around him, got hurt and so on. Kolb had the luxury of sitting behind a top flight QB, learning one system, under one regime and got his feet wet with loads of talent around him. Of course he projects better, that's how you develop a QB and why we cranked them out for 20 years: continuity. Kolb also started a lot more games in college.

I wonder what will be the next wonderfull excuse if he chokes like always... Well, now it cant be talent, or the OL, maybe we can blame Mummy Raye, that would be an option...

The O-Line will not be out of the question. Iupati will be the only upgrade. Anthony Davis isn't coming along as well as they hoped, so RT will probably be unstable this year. Raye will also receive the blame. Alex will get none of it.

I think its Davis isn't coming along as fast as Iupati! Davis will come along but he was considered very raw but talented enough to play. I think Iupati is just ahead of the curve is all. Which is great

its way easier playing guard than being a 20 yr old learning to play rt in the nfl. everyone knew iupati will become a starter faster than davis
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for Nuns.
The far better comparison would Sam Bradford. He has next to nothing around him and a brittle shoulder. I'll be surprised if he does well with a setup similar to Smith's in 95 with the exception of a proven back.

I think Kolb is a better QB, but I don't have a lot to base that on b/c Kolb hasn't done much yet. However, Smith is getting much better and last season he proved to me that he was MUCH better than I thought he could ever be on the day the team drafted him. This said, Smith needs to keep improving.

Kolb is in an offense that is going to let him throw a lot more than we are going to want to in SF. Comparing the stats of the two players at the end of the season really won't be a fair way to do things.

I will just settle for some freaking wins. If Smith helps give us some wins, I don't give a care what size his hands are or what is game stats are either.

Those weren't excuses, those were facts. He WAS thrown in with no talent. Whether he'll suck in the future or not is irrelevant.

yup, a lack of talent on a team is certainly an excuse. Smith should have been blocking, catching, defending and kicking! What a loser.
Originally posted by TIM_:
We finally get a true picture of what the Niners Brass REALLY think about alex Smith (not what they put out for media consumption).
When ESPN was interviewing Trent Baalke at camp(I think it was Mort?) ,Baalke said about Alex...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not saying Alex Smith is a great quarterback in the NFL, but if we protect him and we've surrounded him with the right kind of players, put him in the right system and stay out of all the third-and-8s that we had last year, then he'll be just fine.:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is and has been my opinion about Alex in 2010. He won't be anything special in the NFL BUT if we don't ask him to do too much,then the team around him can make up for his shortcomings. The REAL truth emerges ! I wonder if Baalke is in trouble for telling it like it is ,instead of trying to build up Alex's confidence ?

His comment bothers me. Think before you speak Baalke!!!
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
no more smith talk!

Don't tell me.
Show me!
Originally posted by darkknight49:

yup, a lack of talent on a team is certainly an excuse. Smith should have been blocking, catching, defending and kicking! What a loser.

You forgot "coaching."
Share 49ersWebzone