LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 300 users in the forums

Manny Lawson: Top 5 3-4 OLB in the league (according to CBSsports.com)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Wow as far off as this guy is, at least we gettin' some respect. Man-Law ya I wish he was that good, shoot we had a clear shot at DeAngelo Williams and we picked Lawson instead, arghh (imagine Gore and DeAngelo together, shoot). Course that was the same front office that drafted Alex Smith over A-Rod so yeah... Well at least Man-Law is a decent player.

I don't know if dude is really that far off. Manny got subbed out if I remember correctly on the 3rd and longs and he still led the team in sacks. That's pretty good. Plus he was a beast against the run and he's good in coverage. I mean yeah I don't know if he's going to be worth the money he'll want but he's important to our D and I wouldn't mind seeing Brooks and him play together instead of Brooks and Haralson on 3rd downs.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Wow as far off as this guy is, at least we gettin' some respect. Man-Law ya I wish he was that good, shoot we had a clear shot at DeAngelo Williams and we picked Lawson instead, arghh (imagine Gore and DeAngelo together, shoot). Course that was the same front office that drafted Alex Smith over A-Rod so yeah... Well at least Man-Law is a decent player.

I don't know if dude is really that far off. Manny got subbed out if I remember correctly on the 3rd and longs and he still led the team in sacks. That's pretty good. Plus he was a beast against the run and he's good in coverage. I mean yeah I don't know if he's going to be worth the money he'll want but he's important to our D and I wouldn't mind seeing Brooks and him play together instead of Brooks and Haralson on 3rd downs.

Hey if Man-Law's stays with us for a reasonable rate I'm coo wit it, but he's not a Top 5 OLB in the NFL, or even close. I mean 2 rookies last year are already better than him (Orakpo and Matthews), for goodness sake.

Hey if Man-Law's stays with us for a reasonable rate I'm coo wit it, but he's not a Top 5 OLB in the NFL, or even close. I mean 2 rookies last year are already better than him (Orakpo and Matthews), for goodness sake.

Yeah but last year Orakpo played as a 4-3 OLB not a 3-4 OLB and Matthews is probably roided up just like Cushing.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
csbsports = FAIL

Manny Lawson top 5 LB yah right, and Im the Sultan of Brunei.

Yeah but last year Orakpo played as a 4-3 OLB not a 3-4 OLB and Matthews is probably roided up just like Cushing.

It would actually be easier for Orakpo to play in a 3-4 vs. a 4-3, cuz he'd have an extra LB to help stop the run and he'd be rushing the passer more (ie his specialty). Now granted I'm a huge Bruin fan, but who knows if Clay is on roids or not.
Everybody needs to finally give my man some credit. I've said a million times, he's better for us in coverage of premier TE's and 3rd. down RB's, than rushing the QB. He's a SAM LBer, and we shouldnt expect 20 sacks from the guy. We need to get more sacks from our Will LBers, Parys gets too much love from you guys
Originally posted by Ether:
Wow. From the responses you'd have thought he said Manny was the worst OLB in the league. He gave our player thoughts and everyone's hating?

Because many of our webzone "experts" have been hating on him royally, only to have someone much bigger than themselves, tell them they're WRONG. Kinda embarrasing, so they flail away in angst-squalking all the way..
I bet Manny's agent paid the guy to put his name on the list.
He will be using this in his contract talks!!!!!!
I'm sorry but that guy who wrote that is right. I often see manny around the QB and he does have good coverage skills. You can't always look at the stats. He's not great, but he's more than solid and I hope the niners resign him. Otherwise, he'll be another Andre Carter who did even better after he left the niners.

Brooks>Lawson... forget about the rest of the list cuz he isn't even the best outside LB on the squad!
Originally posted by mustangmele:
I'm sorry but that guy who wrote that is right. I often see manny around the QB and he does have good coverage skills. You can't always look at the stats. He's not great, but he's more than solid and I hope the niners resign him. Otherwise, he'll be another Andre Carter who did even better after he left the niners.

Carter, Peterson, Martin Harrison, et al.. We always let guys go who go on to have better careers when they leave...go figure ??
Originally posted by JaaDogg49:
Brooks>Lawson... forget about the rest of the list cuz he isn't even the best outside LB on the squad!

An OLB in a 3-4 has to be able to play both the pass and the run, so until Brooks can prove to be adequate at run defense, he is not the best OLB on the team.

I do not however believe Lawson to be a top 5 OLB in the league. But he deserves the money he will undoubtedly get after this year from some other team.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by JaaDogg49:

An OLB in a 3-4 has to be able to play both the pass and the run, so until Brooks can prove to be adequate at run defense, he is not the best OLB on the team.

I do not however believe Lawson to be a top 5 OLB in the league. But he deserves the money he will undoubtedly get after this year from some other team.

Agreed but we leave off the #1 responsibility of the OLB in the 3-4 and that is to get to the passer, create sacks, pressures and ultimately force quick throws and turnovers. I think that's why this poster said Brooks > Lawson

In route to the passer, the OLB needs to be able to play the run and occasionally drop back in coverage (rarely); and something Lawson hasn't had to do effectively for years now despite his default reputation from his rookie year against Gonzalez.

I agree...he will get the money somewhere else as an OLB, most likely on a 4-3 team no matter what he does this year in our 3-4. The better he does this year in our 3-4, just makes him that much more marketable to leave so I don't get all the ManLove he's getting despite not coming close to meeting expectations from when we drafted him. Solid player? For sure! Top 5 as an OLB in the 3-4? Laughable!

If he blows up, meets expectations and then signs for us for cheaper just to finish his career in San Francisco, believe me, I'd be the first (and happiest) to admit I was wrong! But to quote Naked Gun, "There's a 50-50 chance that happens...but only a 10% chance of that!"
Top 5 huh!...is that present or future cuz the guy I've seen play has been run wide by every tackle he's played against with pretty minimal resistance. Seemed to be around the QB a little more last year than yrs previous but I haven't seen anything that looks remotely like an inside move and he's no where near strong enough to bull rush anybody but RB's. I understand you don't wanna lose contain but I expect my back side pressure to take that chance on an inside move or bull rush every now and again to make a play. Especially for a guy as quick as Manny;not a lot of QB's in the league r gonna make him miss coming around that back side. Either he's too conservative or he physically can't make it happen...both suck.

As far as his pass coverage skills go,I'll have to take your word for it cuz the networks say I'm not allowed to see the entire field when I'm watching my TV.

O ya, I hate to break it to you dog but Manny's been playing in a 3-4 since he was drafted (all be it a crappy one). I may be wrong but I think he was either in a 3-4 at North Carolina or they played em at rush end in a 4-3. Regardless;top 5 is a border line redonkulous statement but maybe he will be. Time will tell and he's still learning.

Tell you what though,Brooks is right on his tail for that spot at Will. Pass rush is big time and further more,it's sexy. Pass coverage is something the vets learn how to do when they can't get to the QB anymore;) Lawson's gonna find himself competing for the Sam with Harrelson if he doesn't pick it up and I don't think Manny can beat him either.

The more I think about it the more I think it would be a better idea for us to trade em before we gotta pay em. We'd probably be lucky to get a 3rd rounder the way our defense has played since he was drafted but something's better than nothing.
[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone