LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 195 users in the forums

Does FB Moran Norris make the 53-man roster in 2010?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does FB Moran Norris make the 53-man roster in 2010?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I hope not
  • Mex49
Originally posted by susweel:
I hope not

This is the only position where we have not gotten better. I cant remember for my life , when the last time he actually drove the pile back.

He was done last year, keeping him around again would be a huge mistake
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I'm pulling for someone else to make it as FB, then the D will have to account for them as a pass catching threat, or even a threat to run it themselves. Moran isnt a threat for anything.

M-Rob is just as good of a blocker and, while not a dominant back with the ball in his hands is lights out compared to Norris rushing and receiving. Norris was done in 2008.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I'm pulling for someone else to make it as FB, then the D will have to account for them as a pass catching threat, or even a threat to run it themselves. Moran isnt a threat for anything.

M-Rob is just as good of a blocker and, while not a dominant back with the ball in his hands is lights out compared to Norris rushing and receiving. Norris was done in 2008.

What is that based on?
you guys got it all wrong Norris will be outstanding this season.....More then half the time the o-line couldnt even open up for Norris to lead nevermind Gore.

Big things from Gore/Norris in 2010.
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
you guys got it all wrong Norris will be outstanding this season.....More then half the time the o-line couldnt even open up for Norris to lead nevermind Gore.

Big things from Gore/Norris in 2010.

I agree, Norris IMO is not the fault of the running game. It was lack of respect for the QB and the passing game that lead to 8-9 defenders in the box most of the time.
Originally posted by GORO:
I think that Moran Norris should earn his spot and not make the team just because he is close to FRANK GORE.

Agreed.

I think Frank's guy is anyone that that get him into the 3rd and or 4th level. If Moran can do this in the Preseason consistently then Moran is Frank's guy. If not and someone else steps up then Moran will no longer be "Frank's Guy". They'll still be friends but we all get older and slower. Nobody beats Father Time.

~Ceadder
I don't see any way in hell that Norris makes the team personally. His play has REALLY dropped off. So much so that he was released by the Lions for gods sake. That should have been all the indicator the team needed that dude is too old. He played like garbage last year. Granted our line sucked, but even when he got clean to the 2nd level LB's were blowin him up.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
My guess is no and here's why. The Niners drafted a beast in Nate Byham, TE out of Pitt as a blocking TE. If he proves to be as good of a blocker as he is supposed to be, the Niners can save a roster spot by not carrying a true FB. This type of flexibility might be needed for additional LB's, offensive or defensive lineman, and secondary help.

that

and

this

A. Dixon stays on board and Caulcrick (Miller goes to PS).
Originally posted by seeking6th:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
My guess is no and here's why. The Niners drafted a beast in Nate Byham, TE out of Pitt as a blocking TE. If he proves to be as good of a blocker as he is supposed to be, the Niners can save a roster spot by not carrying a true FB. This type of flexibility might be needed for additional LB's, offensive or defensive lineman, and secondary help.

that

and

this

A. Dixon stays on board and Caulcrick (Miller goes to PS).

Going into the season not having a True FB is nuts. Anyone remember when Fischer did that with William Floyyd? The guy was nearing the end of his career had injury issues and Fischer thought it was a good idea to go w/o a FB since "Our Offense really doesn't need one since it gives away our intent to Run the ball". What a bunch of malarkey. I don't care if we have 50 blockers that can "do the job" you want a guy on the field who can take a misdirect who is lined up in front of to the side of Frank. Tight Ends don't line up in the Backfield. Those that do are called HBacks. See Delanie Walker. So what the hell do we need another blocking TE for unless he's lined up off the Tackle?

I'm not saying that Norris stays nor am I saying that we can't do anything w/o him. But please let's leave it at this. Not making inferences that we could get along w/o a true FB. That's hogwash.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jul 8, 2010 at 2:07 AM ]
The only way I see Norris not make the 53 is if Miller or Caulcrick, have a GREAT camp. If one of the two young guys proves he can be a good lead blocker, then the team should let Norris go. But that would be a unexpected.
Barrows writes on the issue

Some interesting quotes

Quote:
I think both will make the team because Miller proved to be a solid special teams player as a rookie last season. (And because he's been on the top special teams units during the spring).

He thinks Norris and Miller make the team, what does this mean for Robinson? I really doubt we need 3 fullbacks

Quote:

In 2009, however, Norris mostly seemed to be in Gore's way because defenses had no problem plugging the line of scrimmage. In fact, Norris' presence in the offensive huddle usually heralded a one-yard loss.

Can this be changed with an improved line or is Norris just done? He hasn't gotten any younger, I think he's done

This is going to be an interesting training camp battle between Norris, Miller, Robinson and Caulcrick. I hope Miller wins it
Originally posted by teeohh:
Barrows writes on the issue

Some interesting quotes

Quote:
I think both will make the team because Miller proved to be a solid special teams player as a rookie last season. (And because he's been on the top special teams units during the spring).

He thinks Norris and Miller make the team, what does this mean for Robinson? I really doubt we need 3 fullbacks

Quote:

In 2009, however, Norris mostly seemed to be in Gore's way because defenses had no problem plugging the line of scrimmage. In fact, Norris' presence in the offensive huddle usually heralded a one-yard loss.

Can this be changed with an improved line or is Norris just done? He hasn't gotten any younger, I think he's done

This is going to be an interesting training camp battle between Norris, Miller, Robinson and Caulcrick. I hope Miller wins it

I don't know if you can label him a "fullback." he is also a good 3rd down back as well as a special team player.
Share 49ersWebzone