LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 137 users in the forums

Surprise Roster Cut???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'd say Jones is done for
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Scott Mckillop

Yah I think McKillop too. He had to be hurting when they selected Bowman. My guesses are:

Brandon Jones - With Ted Ginn and Kyle Williams having much value in the return game, their roster spots are safe. Unless Jones can some how pull off a miracle and beat Josh Morgan, hes done here.

Michael Robinson - If Anthony Dixon can live up to his highlight reel, and be a change of pace RB for Gore, I don't see him sticking around.

Cody Wallace - With David Baas getting some reps at Center, and with the new addition of Mike Iupati and Davis, he could get caught in a numbers game. I was gonna say Tony Wragge, but I think Wragge is much better at both Guard and Center than Wallace.

I doubt any Lineman will get cut. ST alignments require Linemen and I doubt that we would cut one when over the last few years we've been decimated by injuries on the Line. Seems like every year we lose one or two of them for the bulk of the season. Not counting Jennings of course.

I also doubt that Solari and Ray Ray would want to muck with the chemistry by sending Starters to ST duty and would rather keep them fresh by sending the backups in first.

This is a Coach Walsh move. Send in the backups keep your Starters fresh and only use them when you have to.

My three are McKilliop, Jones (he may still make the roster since we lose 2 from last season) and Norris.

Though Norris still could make this team because of the BIGG UGGLIES that were drafted. It's nice to have some bulk up front to spring the FB into the next level for Frank to follow. The way the Line was last year nobody could get there consistently cause the Opposing LBs' and DBs' would submarine the Line and get into our Backfield entirely too much.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by natrone06:
Michael Lewis is my sleeper.

agreed
I dont get the Manny talk. The 49ers like Manny Lawson they just dont want to give him a huge contract. The were looking for a 2nd round pick in return for trading him. Hes not making any money and it would make 0 sense in cutting him now instead of letting him play out the rest of the season and letting him walk after.

No shyt,we have some great football minds right here on the zone!

Originally posted by djutberg:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
axle smith

Does his cousin work for the Detroit Police Department?
That is axel fulley or ack well depending on your pronunciation
Jones, Wallace and McKillop come to mind, though I don't think they'd be too surprising. As a few others have mentioned, Lewis would be the most surprising (though less so if we signed OJ Atogwe).

The biggest surprise though would be if Coffee was let go. Not saying they should, but if Dixon proves to be the banger that Sing wants to compliment Gore, it would likely be between Coffee and M-Rob for a roster spot, and I wouldn't put any money on Coffee sticking around if that were the case.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on May 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM ]
One player that may be cut that would surprise me (but not too much) is Moran Norris.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
One player that may be cut that would surprise me (but not too much) is Moran Norris.

And then we re-sign Zak Keasey!
Originally posted by Super5:
I dont get the Manny talk. The 49ers like Manny Lawson they just dont want to give him a huge contract. The were looking for a 2nd round pick in return for trading him. Hes not making any money and it would make 0 sense in cutting him now instead of letting him play out the rest of the season and letting him walk after.

No shyt,we have some great football minds right here on the zone!

As of today, that would be my big surprise cut (assuming he doesn't attend any mandatory meetings/practices). Singletary is a big fan of committed players, already loves Brooks, we have LaBoy too, plus Briggs and Long and a healthy Haralson this year. Do we really need a 1st and 2nd down-only OLB who's best asset today is in run defense despite primarily being used in the pass rush and rarely used in coverage? Bringing Brooks or LaBoy in for him on 3rd downs to pass rush only makes our defense more predictable. Most LB's are good against the run anyhow. Both MM & MB allude to the fact the coaching staff is not happy with Manny anyhow and that is backed up even more with them trying to trade him. Manny's never been challenged to perform until Brooks showed up and it wasn't until Brooks took his PR downs, that Manny showed some serious passion and played his best 3 or 4 games. Motivation questions? Meanwhile players were signng waivers JUST to participate with the team in OTA's while Manny sat at home pouting about contract when clearly, we have higher priorities to sign LT.

If he wants the big contract (which he never really earned IMHO in the first place), show up, bust your tail, have a great "team attitude" produce the way he was initially drafted for (sacks), maintain really good run defense, defend a pass, excel on ST's and keep LaBoy and Brooks on the bench. Show you are an every down OLB in the 3-4 and that you can perform your #1 duty - QB pressures.

So are we dumb fans for thinking he's getting the Ahmed Plummer treatment?

Read up more...
Originally posted by Chico:
M-Rob
Morran Norris
Manny Lawson -???
Dre Bly
Adam Snyder
Brandon Jones

Agreed, but No on the Lawson

Good call on all of you who said Jones... That guy doesn't even pop into my head when I think of all our receivers....
Originally posted by Chico:
M-Rob
Morran Norris
Manny Lawson -???
Dre Bly
Adam Snyder
Brandon Jones

Now Lawson would be a major suprise...
David Baas, Jason Hill, Ray McDonald, Moran Norris could all be surprise cuts IMO
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Scott Mckillop

Yah I think McKillop too. He had to be hurting when they selected Bowman. My guesses are:

Brandon Jones - With Ted Ginn and Kyle Williams having much value in the return game, their roster spots are safe. Unless Jones can some how pull off a miracle and beat Josh Morgan, hes done here.

Michael Robinson - If Anthony Dixon can live up to his highlight reel, and be a change of pace RB for Gore, I don't see him sticking around.

Cody Wallace - With David Baas getting some reps at Center, and with the new addition of Mike Iupati and Davis, he could get caught in a numbers game. I was gonna say Tony Wragge, but I think Wragge is much better at both Guard and Center than Wallace.

Is there a link that you have that says david baas is getting reps at center?

Where did you see this?
Share 49ersWebzone