LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 224 users in the forums

Which offensive skilled player do you think our offense should be geared towards

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which offensive skilled player do you think our offense should be geared towards

With our team finally having some continuity and hopefully an upgrade to the offensive line... which offensive skilled player do you think our offense should be geared towards?

We can debate that QB Alex Smith has shown some signs of improvement over the years, but has struggled at times. We all know he is more comfortable out of the shotgun, as opposed to being under center. With the addition of A. Davis and Iupati and the support of the coaches and upper management, Smith should be able to perform better than he has ever performed in 2010.

RB Frank Gore is our workhorse. He can take it to the house if given adequate blocking and stays healthy. He's a tough runner and a tough all-around player. Gore is reliable as a receiver out of the backfield as well.

TE Vernon Davis is a beast. He proved that last year while making his first probowl and having the statistics to go along with it. He is one of our fastest players and has shown improvement in his hands.

WR Crabtree emerged as a playmaker during his partial rookie campaign. Imagine what he could do with a full season and better pass protection for Alex Smith? Although he still has a lot to prove, I believe he will be an elite receiver in the NFL one day.

[ Edited by bigmike55 on May 11, 2010 at 13:23:57 ]
I have criticized Alex Smith through the years, but in the end I want him to succeed because I want the 49ers to succeed.

He is the QB, he needs to lead the team. In order to do so, he will need Jimmy Raye, along with Singletary to gear the offense to his needs. Everyone else can follow. Hopefully our offense will improve from last season.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I have criticized Alex Smith through the years, but in the end I want him to succeed because I want the 49ers to succeed.

He is the QB, he needs to lead the team. In order to do so, he will need Jimmy Raye, along with Singletary to gear the offense to his needs. Everyone else can follow. Hopefully our offense will improve from last season.

Mike, coming from you, I appreciate this. You have been hard on Smitty. Appreciate the honesty brah.
the fact that this question is even asked is a bad indication of the qb situation
This team is built to run the ball it has to be Gore.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Nate Byham
Tavita Pritchard
Gore and Crabtree...they both bring a ton to the field. Singletary wants a balanced offense...those guys are the ones to give it to him (along w/Alex and a much stouter OL).
Todd Sullivan
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Mike, coming from you, I appreciate this. You have been hard on Smitty. Appreciate the honesty brah.

No problem brah brah. Like all of you, I just want the 49ers to win, and win big again like they used to. As much as I bashed Smith, in the end, I will root for anyone wearing the red and gold. Heck, I'll admit I was even on the J.T. O'Sullivan bandwagon for a hot minute... literally, a hot minute. What the hell was I thinking?

Originally posted by susweel:
Nate Byham

you mean Billy Bajema version 2.0?
Nate Byham

he said skilled player
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Nate Byham

he said skilled player

Anthony Dixon so.
The offense has to be run through Gore on the ground and Vernon Davis and Crabtree in the air. They are the best players.

However to succeed you need to tailor the offense to Alex Smith's strengths. There are certain things he does well and others not as well. It doesn't make sense IMO to put a square peg into a round hole.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Nate Byham

he said skilled player

Nate Byham got skills.

[ Edited by bigmike55 on May 11, 2010 at 14:37:28 ]
Share 49ersWebzone