There are 252 users in the forums

49ers potential for "explosive plays"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The NYTimes has an interesting article today, http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/putting-a-value-on-explosive-plays-and-why-brandon-marshall-is-a-dolphin/?hp

In it writer Andy Benoit discusses how important it is that a team generate "explosive plays". Here are some excerpts:

Last season, the Fox analyst and former Ravens coach Brian Billick came up with a statistic called the Fox-Tox. The stat combines a team’s turnover differential with its “explosive play” differential (explosive plays on offense minus explosive plays allowed defensively. An explosive play is commonly defined as a run of 12 yards or longer, or a pass of 20 yards or longer.)

The numbers were eye-opening: 10 of the top 11 teams in the Fox-Tox ratings reached the postseason. (In comparison, 7 of the top 11 teams in turnover differential reached the postseason.) The team with the best Fox-Tox rating? The Indianapolis Colts.

All told, 7 of the top 10 teams in explosive pass plays last season finished in the top 10 in overall passing offense. Eight of those top 10 passing offenses reached the postseason (the outsiders were the 9-7 Texans and 9-7 Steelers). In contrast, only 5 of the top 10 rushing teams played past the regular season. The value of the run game has always been to wear down a defense and control tempo. But with an increasing variety of defensive personnel packages, fewer defenders are asked to play every snap, making in-game wear and tear less relevant.

There's a lot more to it, and as I read through the stuff I couldn't help but think the 49ers have to potential to be a good big-play team this year.

[ Edited by Yetiman on Apr 29, 2010 at 10:48:49 ]
gotta have balance
Granted I've spent only about the last 30 seconds thinking about this, but this seems like common sense to me:

Explosive plays on offense + preventing the other team from making explosive plays = generally winning the game.

Seems like a no-brainer.
This DOES make a lot of sense, and is probably a more accurate statistic than the easily computed TOP stat to measure "ball control".

The notion is that the mosre plays that an offense tries to run in any given series, the more likely that they will commit a turnover. An offense with explosive plays (>= 12 yards on a run, >=20 yards on a pass) are more likely to be "dictating" to the defense, putting the defense more on its heels. Not only are explosive plays more likely to be scoring plays, they are also more likely to change field position substantially, even if they don't result in a score.

The Niners explosive capability will most likely have to come from runs >= 12 yards, than the passing game. That's the way that Jimmy Raye will call the game. I don't expect to see a continuation of the spread. Alex Smith is simply going to have to learn how to be effective when taking snaps under the center.

If the Niners get any explosive plays (>= 20 yards) in the passing game, they will likely have to come off of play action, again with Alex Smith starting out under the center.

I am much more confident of the Niner Defense's ability to deny explosive plays to the opposition, and any explosive play "differential" will be determined more by ntheir success than that of the offense, IMHO.
I have a slight variation to the above theme: "Explosive plays, plus absense of dumb mistakes." Moving before the snap, dropping the ball, missing an assignment can lose a game just as readily as an explosive play can win one. We need both.
I don't have stats on this or anything but if you look at game stats of winning teams...like 80% of the time they have more rushing yards than the loser.
Originally posted by baltien:
Granted I've spent only about the last 30 seconds thinking about this, but this seems like common sense to me:

Explosive plays on offense + preventing the other team from making explosive plays = generally winning the game.

Seems like a no-brainer.

Yeah this is just Billick trying to make his mark on sportscasting.
Kinda like Madden inventing the YAC statistic (which is actually pretty cool).

The guy might as well say "The team that moves the ball better on offense and doesn't commit turnovers is more likely to win".
I mean c'mon, do you really need a new stat to prove this?
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoast:
I don't have stats on this or anything but if you look at game stats of winning teams...like 80% of the time they have more rushing yards than the loser.

Its because of Alex....
Gore, Crabtree, and VD all have the potential for explosive plays and this was evident last season with Gore's two long runs and a number of VDs receptions downfield. Crab is the definition of an explosive athlete
Originally posted by spizzy:
Gore, Crabtree, and VD all have the potential for explosive plays and this was evident last season with Gore's two long runs and a number of VDs receptions downfield. Crab is the definition of an explosive athlete

explosive athlete:noun; defenition: michael crabtree

Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by WestCoast:

Its because of Alex....

lol
Let's hope we have alot of explosive plays this year.
all jimmy raye can muster up this year is explosive diarrhea
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
all jimmy raye can muster up this year is explosive diarrhea

Share 49ersWebzone