There are 272 users in the forums

Is It Time for the 49ers to Replace FB Moran Norris?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is It Time for the 49ers to Replace FB Moran Norris?

FB Brit Miller: Opportunity Knocks

[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 3, 2010 at 17:50:42 ]
I think even with Miller's raw blocking technique (which Rathman can easily atone for in the off-season), Miller is still 10 times better than Moran Norris (if it came down to the two unless we obtained somebody from the draft/FA).

-Moran's ability to sustain physical/mental reactionary skills throughout the stretch of the season just appear beyond him as of now.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I think even with Miller's raw blocking technique (which Rathman can easily atone for in the off-season), Miller is still 10 times better than Moran Norris (if it came down to the two unless we obtained somebody from the draft/FA).

-Moran's ability to sustain physical/mental reactionary skills throughout the stretch of the season just appear beyond him as of now.

That's a mouthful. What are you saying?
He was worthless last season...hes probably finished as a good blocking FB.
Originally posted by PTulini:
FB Brit Miller: Opportunity Knocks

Quote:
With one year under his belt, Miller is confident he will continue to grow in his first full offseason practicing at the fullback position.

“Now I can just concentrate on being the best fullback and player in the NFL that I can be. I think that takes a lot off my mind as far as really being able to narrow it down and get better.”

Miller was caught up to speed this season with the help of a great support staff. That being the duo of running backs coach Tom Rathman and 49ers starting fullback Moran Norris. Miller lucked out in learning from Rathman, a two-time Super Bowl champion fullback with the 49ers, and Norris, a nine-year pro, who routinely opens holes for Pro Bowl running back Frank Gore.

“I take that as part of the luck I ran into out here. I don’t know if I would have been able to play fullback without them,” Miller said. “I’ve learned a lot from them and they’ve made me better.”

Playing behind Norris in particular has shown Miller first-hand what it takes to be a successful player at the fullback position in the NFL.

“Moran showed me how to be a pro. Playing fullback is a physical position and he’s never shied away from anything. He’s been in the league for nine years and that’s the kind of career I want. To see that, it’s a lot easier to mimic than it is to create.

“Seeing him do that, shows that it can be done. Learning from him has been one of those things that’s really helped me as a football player and make that transition to fullback.”
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by HearstStiffarm:
Beasley was never really a "threat" to score though. Edwards showed flashes but was option 8 or 9 in that offense...and we didn't use Vardell right and Logan...really? We haven't had a scoring threat at fullback since Bar None.

William Floyd was more of a short yardage back, he had potential to be a receiving threat too, too bad injuries cut his career short.

Beasley was a MAN and human battering ram, when he was healthy he was a feared man

Good FB's are hard to find since the position has been phased out over the past two decades

Fred Beasley? I guess that guy just sucked right?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
No offense to Frank, but Norris should never have been brought back.

Delanie Walker could do the job and quite honestly would be the better way to go.

He can line up in Two TE set then on motion can either move back to block to give the QB time or he can move back to block for Frank or he can move back to take the exchange or catch passes out of the End Zone.

There are ALOT of ways to go with Walker. Not so much for Norris. And hell even Duke can get in on that.

Just imagine the opposing DCoordinator having to game plan THAT.

~Ceadder

i thought the same thing about walker originally when they drafted him i hoped they would move him to a H-back or FB when they drafted him (thought he would be a nightmare out of the backfield) i dont think its going to happen though. imho i just dont think walker is a effective blocker at the TE pos, he may be 240lbs but i just dont think he has the size/strength to succeed there. last year they looked for a TE who could block it wouldnt suprise me if they did it again.

I don't think we need to keep Delanie Walker around anymore.

Are you kidding me?? Our double tight end sets were a HUGE reason for Davis' success this year. Walker is a nightmare for defenses, just as Vernon is, and he demanded coverage and attention. Also, Delanie is a better pass catching TE than Davis.

I like Norris, but I do agree that they should let Britt get a chance at the starting spot.

Exactly.

Also with not too many WRs' stepping up we could STILL put a FB on the field.

QB
Line(+5)
TEs'(+2)
Frank
2 WRs'

There you go. Can still send Walker in Motion.

Can sub MRob or Coffee for the FB

Can sub 3rd WR for a TE

And can motion ALL of them in different looks.

FB out

RB out, screen, exchange, fake to block

WR screen and Reverse

There are a multitude of options for this Offense.

If Raye can't get production from this unit, then the man is in a Coma and it's time to pull the plug.

But the Line issues need to be addressed in a big way.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by HearstStiffarm:
Beasley was never really a "threat" to score though. Edwards showed flashes but was option 8 or 9 in that offense...and we didn't use Vardell right and Logan...really? We haven't had a scoring threat at fullback since Bar None.

William Floyd was more of a short yardage back, he had potential to be a receiving threat too, too bad injuries cut his career short.

Beasley was a MAN and human battering ram, when he was healthy he was a feared man

Good FB's are hard to find since the position has been phased out over the past two decades

Fred Beasley? I guess that guy just sucked right?

~Ceadder

what
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

That's a mouthful. What are you saying?

It would be rude to call him lazy, but during most of the season (and I looked at some of his game-film with the Lions a year previous), he just isn't the same dynamic sort of FB he used to be (the Moran Norris who could do bulky spin moves, and evade trips).

But then again, MN is also entering twilight of his career (and it's pretty admirable since he's going to be entering his 10th season at the FB position if he ends up the starter going into 2010).

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Mar 4, 2010 at 00:02:39 ]
My money is on Jehuu Caulcrick replacing Norris this year and Brit Miller backing him up. I can't wait to see how Jehuu looks after an offseason of Rathman coaching him.
He's a beast that will be a threat to run also.

Ya replace him with Toby Gerhart, that is if the kid is still available in the 4th. Teach him how to block, throw some more weight on him and i think we will have the next A-train (Alstott)
Originally posted by cooper49er:
Ya replace him with Toby Gerhart, that is if the kid is still available in the 4th. Teach him how to block, throw some more weight on him and i think we will have the next A-train (Alstott)

I liked the way Toby played and it would be a good move, but he tore it up in the combine and will be long gone by the 4th round IMO.
for all the carries raye gives to full backs id like us to pick up leron mclain from baltimore.
I would be content to see Caulcrick or Miller supplant Norris. I don't think we have to spend a draft pick on a FB, and if we do, it should be late (5th-7th round), and it should be somebody with considerably more potential than anybody who is currently on the roster.

Caulcrick is probably the best with the ball in his hands, and would add another dimension to our running game. Miller appears to be a better receiver/checkdown option out of the backfield. Not sure about either of their blocking potentials, however.
Norris is too old and what speed he had is gone.
Share 49ersWebzone