There are 223 users in the forums

Contracts it would take to Re-sign our Stars: Whoaa!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Youngone:
Baas won't be resigned for that money. I bet Willis and Davis are the only people out of that list we keep. Franklin is good and deserves a contract but Manny, Baas and Goldson dot warrant big money yet. Lawson is basically a semi bust. Baas is a dissappointment. Goldson looked good but you don't get paid for doing ok as a starter.

Exactly when did Bass, Goldson, and Lawson become super stars. You can't just re sing anybody for anything. Look at Parys he was extended way too quickly and look at his play. you can't reward guys for being average.
I see some people disagree and I have to side w/ them re: Baas. GM already proved that he won't fork out big $$$$ when we had Smiley, so Baas won't get anywhere near that kinda dough. Also, Goldson improved later in the season, but I don't think he gets even close to that projected contract. Only Willis and Davis will see those amounts.

Smith took a paycut and will get a new contract eventually, but that's solely based on this upcoming season. Progresses and performs well = maybe get close to what you projected, sucks like he did his rookie season = low contract offer or released.
You're already prepared to let Alex steal some more money?
Originally posted by Youngone:
Baas won't be resigned for that money. I bet Willis and Davis are the only people out of that list we keep. Franklin is good and deserves a contract but Manny, Baas and Goldson dot warrant big money yet. Lawson is basically a semi bust. Baas is a dissappointment. Goldson looked good but you don't get paid for doing ok as a starter.

I agree with the statement about Baas: not worth that type of $, as well as the statement on Willis and Davis. I'm not sold on Franklin as our long term solution and don't believe he warrants that type of $ (IMHO, if we could get good trade value from him we should consider it). I think Lawson and Goldson could improve but believe they have demonstrated enough to retain long term (at what cost is another story). If Smith continues the improvement-pace he did towards the end of last year and can perform consistently then I believe a long term deal is justified.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
I would only worry about the 1st two guys on that list
Originally posted by Conejo:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
David Baas will not get anything close to that kind of money...

THIS
I believe New England has not franchised Logan mankins, if this is the case he is a free agent this Thursday. I would rather pay Mankins, a Fresno State product that kind of bling for our guard position.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I believe New England has not franchised Logan mankins, if this is the case he is a free agent this Thursday. I would rather pay Mankins, a Fresno State product that kind of bling for our guard position.

Didnt they franchise Wilfork?
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
Willis is the only one who deserves anywhere close to that money .. Vernon and Franklin(Hamptons contract is 3 years 21 mil btw) have to do it for more than 1 year .. if Goldson Lawson Smith and Baas ask for that money then they could all go find it elsewhere cause none of them are worth it.

My feelings exactly.

Willis - all universe. Give him ANYTHING HE WANTS:

Baas is at the bottom of the bunch. Sign at a much reduced contract, if at all.

Davis looks very promising. WAIT ANOTHER YEAR BEFORE A LONG TERM:

Lawson not a flop , but could be much better

A Smith has improved from probably a flop to maybe not a flop, but I would SHOW HIM THE DOOR, Nate, step up and learn this: Everybody except the line go out for a pass.

Goldson looks promising - not sure.

Franklin - short term - same contract range unless he absolutely destroys people at the line and opens lanes for pass rushers. 7 million is way too much based on my expectations of him.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:45:20 ]

The problem I have with our FO is we are so unfamiliar with landing good talent through the draft that we reward our players with contracts of what we hope they WILL become, rather than what they currently are. Looking at players like Joe Staley, Parys Haralson, and even FA pickups like Brandon Jones: we paid them much more than what they've earned with their current play. Atleast in FA we can sign a bonafide pro bowl player. I'd rather have darren sproles than Brandon Jones and Demetric Evans, but combined we're paying those two more than anything a player like Sproles (or even Dunta Robinson for that matter) would command...
Give Vernon the money and give Willis everybody elses money!!
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
This is a projection of the amount we'd have to pay to re-sign our STAR and soon upcoming free agents: (this is why Scott McC. is hesitant to spend money$$ in this years free agent class.

To Re-Sign:

PATRICK WILLIS: at least 6yrs 52 Million with 20 Million Guaranteed. (Comparable to James Harrison)

Vernon Davis: at least 6yrs 36 Million with 16-20 Million Guaranteed. (Comparable to Dallas Clark)

Dashon Goldson(if he continues to impress): 6yrs 26-30 Million with 10-15 Mill Guaranteed.(Comparable and just a little under to what Drew Rosenhaus is going to ask for, like the Packers safety Nick Collins.)

Manny Lawson: 5yrs 20 Million with 8-10 Million guaranteed (Comparable to our very own Parys Haralson.)

David Baas: 6yrs 30 Mill with 12-14 Mill Guaranteed( Similar to the Justin Smiley Contract.)

Alex Smith(if he does well in 2010 and we commit to him for the future) : 6yr 50-60 Mill with 18 mill guaranteed(similar to the David Garrard contract.)

Aubrayo Franklin(if we extend him): 3yr 27 Mill with 16 mill guranteed (Similar to the Casey Hampton contract.)

So in conclusion: This is why Scott McC. is so hesitant to spend money in this F/A and build through the draft. It gets very expensive if we sign other players and attempt to keep our own. That is a combined: 200+ mill spent to all those players and thats just what it would take to keep our free agent classes of 2010,2011. So maybe dreaming for Julius Peppers, Daunta Robinson, Karlos Dansby, Logan Mankins is a bit out of reality.

Lets brace ourself to an interesting but rather low spending 2010 free agency period.

Great Post!! Someone else sees the future besides me!! I have already told myself to act like the NFL has no FA period because we are not getting anyone.

Thank You!

I want you guys to know, im not for signing and extending all these players. But, this is what their contracts will look like, or at least in that general area.

This is "what have you done for me lately league."

Just because Alex Smith and Vernon Davis didn't do ok/good in their first 3-4 years as a 49er, it wont matter if they have 2/3 good seasons in a row...they will be paid, and paid accordingly to the other comparable players in their positions. (Might I add two things:1. Vernon Davis believes he is much better than Dallas Clark, so you know he will want more money. 2. Alex Smith has much better stats than a guy like David Garrard last season, and Garrard is getting on average 10 million per season.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:

Dashon Goldson(if he continues to impress): 6yrs 26-30 Million with 10-15 Mill Guaranteed.(Comparable and just a little under to what Drew Rosenhaus is going to ask for, like the Packers safety Nick Collins.)

nick collins led the nfl in int's a few years ago. if goldson asks for that much money he can f**k himself and go play some where else.
Originally posted by Conejo:
Btw this thread is unofficial til AB stamps it

Anyway, I agree on the 1st 3 players(Willis, VD and Dashon).

Disagree with Baas, he wont get that much and doesnt deserve it, and Manny better not expect 20M when he hasnt done anything yet.

Alex wise could demand alot if he proves himself, since he was 1st pick in 2005, and as for Aubrayo, 1 yr doesnt mean he is set as our NT, i like him, think he has been solid all 3 yrs he has been here, but only great in 2009, so i say the 1st 3 should be locked up ASAP. And then the others should get extended, only, if they prove it on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone