There are 209 users in the forums

Super Bowl 44 Myth Buster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by danimal:
Joe Montana has and always will be my favorite QB. I just want to be clear on that. I just dont think that SBs by themselves automatically set who is the GOAT. I dont think less of Manning because he didnt win on Sunday. He played great. I dont think less of Kurt Warner because he lost last year and only won 1 SB. He was incredible.

Montana was incredible in Superbowls. He was absolutley amazing in the 88 and 89 playoff runs. He was also not great in several other playoff games. Remember, the Niners were favorites in both 87 and 90 with teams that had home field advantage yet lost with Joe having below average games.

Joe was a member of an amazing organization with an offensive guru in Walsh, an owner that would out spend anyone in Eddie D, and with players that could be considered as GOAT at their positons in Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott. The Niners were just flat out better than the competition during those years on both sides of the ball. Other great QBs such as Dan MArino and now Peyton Manning simply have not had that ideal situation. That is why I dont think SB wins should be the HUGE factor that it is in deciding GOAT. Thats all.

Thats all very obvious and well known. You can cite the problem, but can you state a solution?

What factor should replace SB wins as a major decider on who is the best QB ever?

Trust me, whatever you come up with will have just as many holes as SB wins, thus it will be purely a matter of preference

Well.. you already state that anything I say with have holes so I guess there is no reason to even try.

Actually.. you are right. There are no absolute factors that should decide who is the GOAT. If its just SBS then Terry Bradshaw should be at the top with Joe. My point is that SB's should not be counted as strongly as most in here would want it to be.

Its just impossible to compare. What about the years pre-SB? Are you going to consider players you never saw play like Unitas or Otto Graham? How much should incredible stats count playing with below average teams like Marino had to face?

The fact is its almost impossible to come up with one person who is the GOAT because of the different eras, how the game has evolved, and the fact that its a team game with so many variances. Its like trying to say who the GOAT is in baseball. It is Babe Ruth? WIllie Mays? Albert Pujols? How the hell can anyone really say.

Its a fun debate and really there is no right or wrong. You can say Montana and not be wrong. Another can say Elway and also not be wrong. The only thing I think IS wrong is to make absolute statements like they know 100% that is has to be. Example.. saying that Montana would for sure have won both Indy SB's.

Yes, I'm biased and totally impartial. I'm a Niner fan. I will back-track from my own absolute statements since I argued so vociferously against LA for using his own. This is true. No there can be no "Greatest Ever" - I've never supported that view. I think eras are much too different in making an apples-to-apples comparison. It's even difficult to compare how different players would fit with different teams. All of that is in doubt admittedly. Teams and players can only play the games in front of them and when they win consistently, they're doing something right I guess. When players come up big when the pressure is on, they have to be doing something right. I'm just happy and I know we were lucky to have the 49er legacy.

I knew we would come to an agreement. I actually feel bad for some of the kids in here who have had to suffer through such bad years with the Niners and were not old enough to enjoy the glory years. The stretch from 81-98 was VERY special even with the heartbreak of playoff losses. I still think we should have won at least 7 Superbowls.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
And this is simply because you say they are? Manning has never had any Pro Bowl lineman? Manning has never had Pro Bowl players on his defensive squad in Freeney? And better than the 1981 team? Clark, Solomon, Tyler and Craig are better than today's Colt's OL and WR corps? LOL! Really! Okay

It's funny that you say that I'm misconstruing your argument and using hyperbole, when that's exactly what you're doing here. Where did I say that Manning never had any Pro Bowl lineman? I didn't. Where did I say that Manning never had a Pro Bowl defensive player? I didn't. The fact that you need to say that (while alleging that I'M the one doing this) is ironic.

However, in '84, 3/5ths of Montana's offensive line were Pro Bowlers. His RB was a Pro-Bowler. Keena Turner was a Pro Bowler, Fred Dean was still a force, and the entire secondary made it to the Pro Bowl.

Does any Manning team have a comparable resume?

In '81 there were 3 other Pro Bowlers (just like the Colts this year), and the defense as a whole gave up the 2nd fewest points in the league.

Quote:
Because you've already admitted that players are bigger, stronger faster than they are today. I don't need to "mention" that and it wasn't an omission. I know the pool of players I'm drafting from are already ahead of what the NFL was drafting in 1981 or 1984.

I can't believe I'm here right now. Of course players are bigger, stronger, faster now than they were then. But the argument is that the level of talent on the Niners was far greater when compared to their respective era than the current Colts roster.

This current Niner squad is bigger, stronger, faster than the dynasty teams...does that mean that we should be winning more Super Bowls than them? Of course not, because EVERY team is bigger, stronger, faster. What a ridiculous point.

Quote:
Wow really? Marvin Harrison was the best WR in the league for much of the time Manning has put up monster numbers. Seriously? Harrison and Wayne and Clark all in primes were comparable to any WR core in the NFL in their current era and you're debating with me about how Manning never had talent and had to do all the heavy lifting on his own relative to what Montana had to do with the Niners in 81 or 84? Really? I'm defending the Colts here and I'm not even a Colts fan - and defending Montana against someone who has the moniker "LA49erfan" LOL!

How good are/were Harrison, Wayne, & Clark? I'd argue that Manning made them look a lot better than they actually were/are, considering that virtually everybody that plays receiver for them turns out to be productive. Their projected #2 receiver (Gonzales) got injured, but it didn't matter. Throw a 6th rounder who barely player the year before and a 4th Round rookie, and they put up numbers too. This isn't to say that Harrison, Wayne, & Clark aren't good at one they do, but they are/were certainly augmented by Manning. EVERYBODY put up numbers in Indy...what's the common thread?

And just as you feel as though you have to defend Montana against a fellow Niner fan, I feel as though I have to defend some GREAT Niner teams against a Niner fan that is diminishing them. I think that Montana/Manning are far more comparable than their supporting casts.

Quote:
Again absolute unprovable statements, hyperbole.

They're opinions. Of course they aren't provable...but they're supportable. We're having a subjective argument here. One where you're making allegations with flimsy evidence interspersed in between.

Quote:
LOL! And this in NO WAY is an absolute or even GENERALLY true for the 49ers. Show me a trend of games where Montana played poorly repeatedly and the Niners still won WITH/or WITHOUT Montana's contributions - repeatedly. And what's so shaky about your argument is that comparatively the team probably had MORE talent in 1990 top to bottom with HOFers in their prime(s), performing at a extremely high level, and that uber-talented team DIDNT MAKE IT but lost in a close game to the Giants - and here's the clincher - NOT because Montana had a bag game. It would seem to me obviously the 49ers weren't ridiculously better than teams during their era in which they competed for a chance to get to the Super Bowl.

I said "mediocre", not poor. For as many allegations as you're putting out there, you sure do like to change my words. In terms of mediocre playoff performances by Montana that still resulted in a Niner victory...

-He had 3 INTs in The Catch game, and Eric Wright's tackle on Pearson and Lawrence Pillers subsequent sack are what sealed that game. We had a balanced rushing attack to the tune of 130 yards.

And on the game's definitive play, Clark made an amazing grab. There's a reason that play isn't called "The Pass". Mediocre effort by Montana in that game, but we came away with the victory nonetheless.

-1st Round, vs. Lions, 1983...Another mediocre performance from Montana, but we won the game largely due to the 5 INTS that the defense created. To his credit, Montana led a great drive at the end of the game after a pedestrian performance, but the team is never in that position without the gaudy amount of turnovers that we created.

-2nd Round, vs. Giants, 1984...Montana throws another 3 INTs, one of which was a Pick-6 to Harry Carson. However, since that was the ONLY Touchdown that 49er team allowed before the Super Bowl, the Niners still won behind a 6 sack, 2 INT, 3 points allowed performance by our defense.

-Conference Championship vs. Bears, 1984...Montana throws 2 INTs and is fairly inaccurate throughout the day. The Niners rush for 159 yards on 29 carries.

...but none of it matters because the Niners get NINE sacks on the way to a shutout.

Quote:
Are you saying we still won our share games because of defense alone?

No. This is the hyperbole and extrapolation. Try reading and comprehending.

Quote:
So therefore the argument is, and you've stated it clearly, Montana isn't as integral to the 49ers as Manning is to the Colts. Just say it. It's not true, but just say it.

Montana wasn't as integral to the Niners as Manning is to the Colts. I think I've been pretty clear with this point and if you're only understanding it now, I'm not sure I'm talking to someone that's worth talking to.

Quote:
Really? Do I need to do this? Defend Montana's legacy as a QB and defend just how integral he was to the 49ers greatness during the 80s? And the Cheifs that you deride the Chiefs of 1994 Dave Kreig wasn't even on the TEAM in 1994. Wow Really?

Krieg was on the team in 1993, and replaced him in the Conference Championship game, which I specifically referenced.

Quote:
The argument isn't whether or not Montana is perfect. I would never state that. The argument isn't whether or not Montana at one time played on great teams, that's not in doubt. The argument simply is Montana is and was just as integral to the 49er success as Manning was to the Colts, comparatively and fundamentally. If I move either QB in either system, if I ask either QB to play in each other's position in history, Montana hands down, convincingly is the better QB.

I understand that's your opinion. But merely restating your hypothesis doesn't really get us anywhere. Support it.

Quote:
To argue hyperbole and state the Niners had a "metric ton" of talent who were far and away better then all else in the league is an insult to the NFL, but to Bill Walsh and McKittrick who employed one of the most brilliant offensive systems that could take "less talented players" and that's from the book dammit - and make them effective.

We may have to agree to disagree here because there is NO WAY IN ALL HELL you're ever going to get me reason hyperbole and absolute generalization challenge Walsh, his coaches, Montana and what those players did for 20 years with what they had. The fact that Rice talks about he wasn't the fastest, most talented guy in the draft but still is the GOAT is more of a testament to what was achieved.

And once again, it's relative to the talent of that era. Thank you for bringing up Bill Walsh, because having arguably the greatest coach of all-time as Montana's coach certainly helped his cause, don't you think? Even off of the field, Montana's supporting cast was better than Manning's.

Quote:
So you don't forget, the statement you make here is just not true:

Why...because you say so? Once again, that's a very ineffective tactic.

Wow, this thread is a lot to try and digest all at once. Here's my opinion on the comparison between Montana and Manning.

Montana ran the 49er offense great. He had natural ability and instinct that may be above any other QB in the NFL, past or present. He could probably run most offenses to a high level.

Manning is the Colts offense. There is a reason they call him an offensive coordinator on the field. I don't think there is another QB today that has as much control over play calling, and it has been a long, long time since QBs have had that much control, and it may very well be that Manning does that better than any QB ever. Given the same freedoms, he could probably run most offenses to a high level.

They both have had great players around them. I don't know how anyone could say one is greater than the other, because there really isn't a good way to compare. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses, they played in different eras, offenses were called differently, defenses are different, rules are different. The salary cap didn't start until 1994 I believe, and no one can say that hasn't brought in a huge dynamic into the league, making it very difficult to compare the two. So I think this is really a moot argument.

BUT, I think I would argue against the thought that Manning is not more integral to his team's success than Montana was. Again, Manning is the offense in Indy. Take him away and that team finished 5-11 this year (That was an ESPN analyst opinion. I think it might be a slight exaggeration, but only slight). Did you see what happened to that team when Painter stepped out onto the field? Have you seen what happened in the past when Sorgi played QB in mop up duty? There is a reason Jim Irsay stated publicly that Manning was going to be the highest paid player in league history when it came time to renew his contract. That's because Irsay and Bill Polian know exactly how integral Manning is to that offense. Take him away, and they are average at best.
consider this mrgneissguy,

Yes Peyton is the OC, OL coach, WR coach and their unquestioned team leader. I guess my question is...who decided this is a good thing? I don't know that it is not a negative that Peyton wears all these hats. I think the Colts could have hit the next level if they did not insist on pushing the Peyton does everything dynamic.

So if anyone agrees with that so far.....next question. Is Peyton to blame for this, did he have any part in discouraging the franchise from following a more traditional level of control over the offense and possibly the whole team.

I guess what I am saying is I am not as convinced as everyone else that Peyton wearing all these hats, though impressive; is actually helping that team.

Yes Peyton is the OC, OL coach, WR coach and their unquestioned team leader. I guess my question is...who decided this is a good thing? I don't know that it is not a negative that Peyton wears all these hats. I think the Colts could have hit the next level if they did not insist on pushing the Peyton does everything dynamic.

So if anyone agrees with that so far.....next question. Is Peyton to blame for this, did he have any part in discouraging the franchise from following a more traditional level of control over the offense and possibly the whole team.

I guess what I am saying is I am not as convinced as everyone else that Peyton wearing all these hats, though impressive; is actually helping that team.

Well, I don't remember saying he was the OL coach (Jeff Saturday makes the line calls) or WR coach (though he did work individually with both young receivers on the route trees to get the timing down). So I don't know about all those hats you're talking about.

But with the way defensive coordinators call games, and the way defenses today attempt to disguise what they're doing and confuse the offense, I don't see how having a QB that can read those defenses and put the offense in the best possible situation most of the time can be a bad thing. You're saying you'd rather have a guy under center that is clueless and has to react to what the defenses give him as the play develops, thereby forcing the other team members to perform at a higher level to make up for it (I suppose keeping them on their toes), instead of someone that can read the defense pre-snap and make appropriate adjustments so that each player on the offense is in the best possible position to succeed?

And what next level are you talking about that they are missing out on? They already have the most wins in the last decade, the most wins in any decade, the most consecutive seasons with 12+ wins, how many playoff appearances, two Super Bowl appearances, one Super Bowl win. Most teams in the league would be thrilled to have half the success the Colts have had with Manning under center. But you're right, they're in a rut and need to completely retool the team.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

Well, I don't remember saying he was the OL coach (Jeff Saturday makes the line calls) or WR coach (though he did work individually with both young receivers on the route trees to get the timing down). So I don't know about all those hats you're talking about.

But with the way defensive coordinators call games, and the way defenses today attempt to disguise what they're doing and confuse the offense, I don't see how having a QB that can read those defenses and put the offense in the best possible situation most of the time can be a bad thing. You're saying you'd rather have a guy under center that is clueless and has to react to what the defenses give him as the play develops, thereby forcing the other team members to perform at a higher level to make up for it (I suppose keeping them on their toes), instead of someone that can read the defense pre-snap and make appropriate adjustments so that each player on the offense is in the best possible position to succeed?

And what next level are you talking about that they are missing out on? They already have the most wins in the last decade, the most wins in any decade, the most consecutive seasons with 12+ wins, how many playoff appearances, two Super Bowl appearances, one Super Bowl win. Most teams in the league would be thrilled to have half the success the Colts have had with Manning under center. But you're right, they're in a rut and need to completely retool the team.

wow. you are way off on what I was saying.

First, I never implied that you said he wears all those hats. I was blanketing the number of arenas that Peyton is credited with providing support above and beyond what a normal QB provides, and I meant the general public and general media say this, not just you. Nothing personal man.

Second. Why so black and white man? Can a QB only be highly involved in the offense or a complete robot. The Universe I live in there is plenty of shades of grey in between those 2 extremes.

And when did I say they were in a rut. When I say the next level, I was operating under the assumption that you would figure out I meant some more SB wins....as that is literally the only other level they have yet to hit. You know, the Dynasty level that the Niners, Cowboys and Pats were once on. Again, I thought it was fairly obvious, but I guess not.

Only in Ninertalk

But you're right, they're in a rut and need to completely retool the team.
[ Edited by danimal on Feb 9, 2010 at 5:18 PM ]

First, I never implied that you said he wears all those hats. I was blanketing the number of arenas that Peyton is credited with providing support above and beyond what a normal QB provides, and I meant the general public and general media say this, not just you. Nothing personal man.

Second. Why so black and white man? Can a QB only be highly involved in the offense or a complete robot. The Universe I live in there is plenty of shades of grey in between those 2 extremes.

And when did I say they were in a rut. When I say the next level, I was operating under the assumption that you would figure out I meant some more SB wins....as that is literally the only other level they have yet to hit. You know, the Dynasty level that the Niners, Cowboys and Pats were once on. Again, I thought it was fairly obvious, but I guess not.

How then, are you saying the way the Colts and Manning play is hurting the team? He is doing too much and therefore he cannot perform? He is doing too much which somehow keeps the rest of the team from performing? I can't think of other scenarios where it would hurt. You say it may not be helping the team, keeping them from reaching the next level. I just don't see anywhere you saying how it is keeping them from reaching the next level. But again, let's say there are ten levels, with those teams you mention being at 10. The Colts sit at somewhere between 9.5 and 9.75. How is taking some of those "hats" away from Manning going to improve them by that 0.25 or 0.5? Take away Manning and all he does and the Colts are sitting at level 5, plain and simple. Hell, for the years just before Manning got there, they were sitting at level 3. They sat somewhere around level 6 or 7 with Harbaugh at QB for a year.

I guess I can't truly counter your argument that Manning doing all this stuff is keeping them from the next level, because I don't know what it is you think is hurting as a result. But honestly, I can't think of anything that would make any sense.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
People arguing against Montana in NT, why doesn't it surprise me?

Matter of the fact is you can say "well if Manning had so and so team he'd also win multiple SB's, his defense has let him down, players are faster now then they were then" That's all speculation and can't be proved, Montana did it and Manning couldn't do it on Sunday and that's all that matters. I don't give a rats ass about who had the better supporting cast, if that's the case then you can say that Rice isn't the G.O.A.T either because he had Montana and Young throwing at him while Randy Moss had scrubs throwing at him

Manning still has plenty of time to cement himself as the G.O.A.T as of now he's not there yet PERIOD.

Just as the idea of Montana winning with Manning's supporting cast can't be proven either. Using SB wins as a basis for who is better is illogical, because it's a team accomplishment, not an individual one. If you believe that Montana was a better quarterback, that's fine. But simply referencing Super Bowl wins is causation without correlation.

But LA....ALL methods to arrive at the "Best Ever" is flawed. Normally I would say using causation without correlation is a major No No, but in this scenario what else can we use?

There really is only one right answer. Very few sports fans can accept it though.

There is no Best Ever.

I can't dispute that.

My basis for evaluating a player is judging what he can control, and eliminating the rest. Obviously this is VERY subjective, and that speaks to your point about preference.

For example, the Colts had a 2nd quarter drive that ended when Manning threw a perfect pass that hit Garcon in stride and in space...but was subsequently dropped. In the elements that he could control, Manning made a great play there.

The other possession that they had in that quarter was after a goal line stand by their defense that pinned them at the 1. There were 3 consecutive running plays and a punt. No much that Manning could control there.

Due to the Saints' effectiveness with the football and the onside kick, they were able to keep the ball out of Manning's hands for an extremely long period of time. Once he got it back, they scored again.

The Saints only had 3 possessions where they didn't score. That's an extremely small margin for error for an opposing QB, and I think that pulling out a victory under those circumstances is an unreasonable expectation. In the matters that Manning could control, I thought he had a superb game. Of course there was the INT and a couple of poorly thrown balls, but in the overall context of the game...I thought he did very well.

But obviously, that's a subjective point of view, as you said.

How about control over not throwing an interception at the most critical point in the biggest game of the year?

That is why that comparison (super bowl wins) is relevant. No one ever said its everything, but its a huge factor.

IMO efficient QB vs. Gunslinger, efficiency is the better QB. Manning is a great gun slinger, but if I had to pick a QB to do a GW drive in the last 2 minutes, you are going to tell with a straight face you wouldn't think about Manning's interception against the Saints in the SB? That is a HUGE factor, hell I'd say one of the biggest factors to consider.

Stats are way over used, I want to see what the guy does when the game is on the line.

Edit: And it wasn't just that one interception. In the 2nd half he was not playing nearly as well as he was in the 1st qrtr. His accuracy was a lil off and he was forcing balls into tight spaces with over confidence in his ability.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Feb 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM ]

How then, are you saying the way the Colts and Manning play is hurting the team? He is doing too much and therefore he cannot perform? He is doing too much which somehow keeps the rest of the team from performing? I can't think of other scenarios where it would hurt. You say it may not be helping the team, keeping them from reaching the next level. I just don't see anywhere you saying how it is keeping them from reaching the next level. But again, let's say there are ten levels, with those teams you mention being at 10. The Colts sit at somewhere between 9.5 and 9.75. How is taking some of those "hats" away from Manning going to improve them by that 0.25 or 0.5? Take away Manning and all he does and the Colts are sitting at level 5, plain and simple. Hell, for the years just before Manning got there, they were sitting at level 3. They sat somewhere around level 6 or 7 with Harbaugh at QB for a year.

I guess I can't truly counter your argument that Manning doing all this stuff is keeping them from the next level, because I don't know what it is you think is hurting as a result. But honestly, I can't think of anything that would make any sense.

nevermind. We are so on different levels I can't even explain it. For the record I think Peyton is a great QB and his additional roles provides the Colts with a HUGE advantage. I am not suggesting changing a thing. I am merely suggesting that perhaps the team could get better following a different path. Remember ALL teams can get better, don't believe me ask Coach Walsh.

The different path I am suggesting, very lightly suggesting mind you; would be if the Colts could go and get stronger coaches at HC and OC and scale back Peytons audibling and overall control.

Let me just leave you with one illustration which does not strike me as a healthy football team. My Wife knows Peyton runs that team, because she once saw Coach Dungy call out the field goal unit and Peyton sent them right back to the sidelines.
And Peyton is far too cerebral. Montana's instincts were a huge part of his game.

I have the utmost respect for Peytons audibling skills, but I have nothing but contempt for how heavily he relies on it. At some point you just have to play a little more naturally if you want anyone to take you seriously as the best ever

This seriously might be the dumbest statement I have ever read in here.

Then it should have been easy for you to expand a bit.

I wish I knew what that meant. I just think its hillarious that you have all this respect for Mannings ability to audible but contempt that he uses it when he deems necessary. How would he play "naturally"? Would that be by going with the plays called in the huddle? Wait.. there arent any huddles for the Colts. I am just so confused what makes Manning unnatural. I'm not sure there is anyone that doesnt take him seriously. Well that is besides you of course.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
People arguing against Montana in NT, why doesn't it surprise me?

Matter of the fact is you can say "well if Manning had so and so team he'd also win multiple SB's, his defense has let him down, players are faster now then they were then" That's all speculation and can't be proved, Montana did it and Manning couldn't do it on Sunday and that's all that matters. I don't give a rats ass about who had the better supporting cast, if that's the case then you can say that Rice isn't the G.O.A.T either because he had Montana and Young throwing at him while Randy Moss had scrubs throwing at him

Manning still has plenty of time to cement himself as the G.O.A.T as of now he's not there yet PERIOD.

Just as the idea of Montana winning with Manning's supporting cast can't be proven either. Using SB wins as a basis for who is better is illogical, because it's a team accomplishment, not an individual one. If you believe that Montana was a better quarterback, that's fine. But simply referencing Super Bowl wins is causation without correlation.

But LA....ALL methods to arrive at the "Best Ever" is flawed. Normally I would say using causation without correlation is a major No No, but in this scenario what else can we use?

There really is only one right answer. Very few sports fans can accept it though.

There is no Best Ever.

I can't dispute that.

My basis for evaluating a player is judging what he can control, and eliminating the rest. Obviously this is VERY subjective, and that speaks to your point about preference.

For example, the Colts had a 2nd quarter drive that ended when Manning threw a perfect pass that hit Garcon in stride and in space...but was subsequently dropped. In the elements that he could control, Manning made a great play there.

The other possession that they had in that quarter was after a goal line stand by their defense that pinned them at the 1. There were 3 consecutive running plays and a punt. No much that Manning could control there.

Due to the Saints' effectiveness with the football and the onside kick, they were able to keep the ball out of Manning's hands for an extremely long period of time. Once he got it back, they scored again.

The Saints only had 3 possessions where they didn't score. That's an extremely small margin for error for an opposing QB, and I think that pulling out a victory under those circumstances is an unreasonable expectation. In the matters that Manning could control, I thought he had a superb game. Of course there was the INT and a couple of poorly thrown balls, but in the overall context of the game...I thought he did very well.

But obviously, that's a subjective point of view, as you said.

How about control over not throwing an interception at the most critical point in the biggest game of the year?

That is why that comparison (super bowl wins) is relevant. No one ever said its everything, but its a huge factor.

IMO efficient QB vs. Gunslinger, efficiency is the better QB. Manning is a great gun slinger, but if I had to pick a QB to do a GW drive in the last 2 minutes, you are going to tell with a straight face you wouldn't think about Manning's interception against the Saints in the SB? That is a HUGE factor, hell I'd say one of the biggest factors to consider.

Stats are way over used, I want to see what the guy does when the game is on the line.

Edit: And it wasn't just that one interception. In the 2nd half he was not playing nearly as well as he was in the 1st qrtr. His accuracy was a lil off and he was forcing balls into tight spaces with over confidence in his ability.

I can honestly tell you with a straight face that I would not consider that pick Sunday at all if I had to choose a QB for the last 2 minutes. Manning had the most 4th qt comebacks of any QB in football this year. People who are smart and actually know the game like Steve Young and Chris Carter put the blame squarly on Reggie Wayne for the pick. It was a timing play and Manning threw the ball where it was supposed to be thrown. Also. sometimes you just have to give the other side kudos for a great play. The DB made a wonderful read on the route and it paid off.

Ya Manning was horrible wasnt he. 31-45 for 333 is awful. They were so bad that they had to punt 2 times. One was after Garcon dropped a beautiful 3rd down pass that probably was going to make it 17-3. The other was after the idiot HC called for 3 straight runs by the fullback at the end of the half and they got stopped thru no fault of Manning.

And Peyton is far too cerebral. Montana's instincts were a huge part of his game.

I have the utmost respect for Peytons audibling skills, but I have nothing but contempt for how heavily he relies on it. At some point you just have to play a little more naturally if you want anyone to take you seriously as the best ever

I wish I knew what that meant. I just think its hillarious that you have all this respect for Mannings ability to audible but contempt that he uses it when he deems necessary. How would he play "naturally"? Would that be by going with the plays called in the huddle? Wait.. there arent any huddles for the Colts. I am just so confused what makes Manning unnatural. I'm not sure there is anyone that doesnt take him seriously. Well that is besides you of course.

Meh, I can understand to a point what he's saying. It does at times seem to me that Manning follows a sort of flow chart when he's at the line.

I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up as a flaw though. It does take a good QB to recognize the situation and the defense and then to call a good audible.

-9fA
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

It means when something qualifies as "dumbest statement you ever read" you should be able to and willing to breakdown exactly what makes it so dumb. Instead you chose to pull the drive by post so popular on the zone and very classless.

Then, when I finally get you to expand, and you realize the statement wasn't THAT dumb, well now you gotta make s**t up.

My words
Quote:
I have the utmost respect for Peytons audibling skills, but I have nothing but contempt for how heavily he relies on it.

You began to quote me, but then ended on your own words, how convenient
Quote:
respect for Mannings ability to audible but contempt that he uses it when he deems necessary.

If you didn't understand what the word "relies" means you could have just asked.

It means when something qualifies as "dumbest statement you ever read" you should be able to and willing to breakdown exactly what makes it so dumb. Instead you chose to pull the drive by post so popular on the zone and very classless.

Then, when I finally get you to expand, and you realize the statement wasn't THAT dumb, well now you gotta make s**t up.

My words
Quote:
I have the utmost respect for Peytons audibling skills, but I have nothing but contempt for how heavily he relies on it.

Quote:
respect for Mannings ability to audible but contempt that he uses it when he deems necessary.

If you didn't understand what the word "relies" means you could have just asked.

Oh no. I realize even more how dumb the comment is. You dont think that Manning can be taken seriously as the best ever until he plays more naturally. That is f**king hillarious. This for the guy who has been the league MVP several times, a SB MVP, and an incredible team leader. SERIOUSLY??????????? You REALLY think that or are you just trying to somehow defend a silly comment that you didnt think through when you made it.

My words
Quote:

Quote:

Oh no. I realize even more how dumb the comment is. You dont think that Manning can be taken seriously as the best ever until he plays more naturally. That is f**king hillarious. This for the guy who has been the league MVP several times, a SB MVP, and an incredible team leader. SERIOUSLY??????????? You REALLY think that or are you just trying to somehow defend a silly comment that you didnt think through when you made it.

Man you just keep digging your hole don't ya. Perhaps you should take your own advice about thinking through what you type.

Yes, I said Manning cannot be taken seriously as the best ever. You sure you want to argue that point by bringing up Mannings MVP's???? Because you do realize I never said that Manning can't be known as the best of his era, you get that right. So I am not sure what his MVP's are suppose to prove as Montana was ineligible to be voted for on those
Share 49ersWebzone