There are 212 users in the forums

Re-tooled Q, could this become the best SF Defensive Unit Ever?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mike9er:
Originally posted by marshniners24:
This has nothing to do with anything. But its awesome.

OMG!! what the eff is that guys problem!! ....

probably his girlfriend.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
With all due respect to the 84 defense, I was always comfortablee when these guys were on the field kicking ass.

DE- Jackson
DT- Young
DT- Stubblefield
DE- Doleman
LB- Norton
LB- Plummer
LB- Woodall
FS- Hanks
SS- Mcdonald
CB- Sanders
CB- Davis

Doleman didnt come on till later. After Deion was long gone.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Not even top 10. There is exactly one elite player on this defense. One.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Throw in a playmaker in the secondary and this question is affirmative.

One playmaker doesn't make this defense better than some of the ones in the 1980s or the 1995 Super Bowl team.

I'd take Menton Hanks, Eric Davis, and Deon Sanders in the secondary over Micheal Lewis, Goldson, Clements, and Spence (and even if you replaced one of them with a "playmaker").

Also, I'd take the 1994 4ers front 7 over this team's front 7 any day. Of course P. Willis is better than Ken Norton but the drop off isn't that huge and the other linebackers for the 1994 team are much better than the linebackers for the current 9ers.

I disagree completely. Goldson compares quite well to Merton Hanks. Deon couldn't tackle anybody, but in terms of coverage, Nate is only a few notches below Deon. Overall, prime to prime, i'd take Clements over Deon. Adding "one playmaker" would make the secondaries very close to equal IMHO. Why all of the love for Deon? I think that he is one of the most overrated players in NFL history.

In terms of the front 7, I wouldn't really take one over the other. Kevin Greene and Ricky Jackson were great, but both were also past their prime. They weren't much better than the Lawson/Haralson/Brooks combination, and against the run I would rate them as equal. Richard Dent was long past his prime. The DL is better now than it was in 94 or 88/89.

Wow. We will just have to disagree. Greene, Jackson, or Dent at the end of their career are better pass rushers than ANYONE on the current 9ers.
Originally posted by saj4423:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Is Patrick Willis the best 49ers defensive player ever ?

not yet but before it's over he just might be.

Might be, but let's not forget Ronnie Lott and Bryant Young.

And because I don't recall seeing his name in this thread and it's a shame, Jeff Fuller
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by saj4423:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Is Patrick Willis the best 49ers defensive player ever ?

not yet but before it's over he just might be.

Might be, but let's not forget Ronnie Lott and Bryant Young.

And because I don't recall seeing his name in this thread and it's a shame, Jeff Fuller

P. Willis is right now one of the better defensive players the 9ers have had. Not the best. No way the best. I'd take a handful of 80s and 90s players over him.

Also, how are we defining the best player? By best year they had or career?
Well, it ain't the worst!

I would say if you had this defense right now with the 94 offense they would be top 5 this year. You have to take into account that with the offense sucking as bad as it does then the defense gets no rest. I think it was during the indy game this year where our D stuffed Indy for like 3 straight 3and outs with the offense doing jack to help. I think the commentators even mentioned something about how indy only had something like 9 3and outs before the niners and left the game with like 14. Anyways the niners have there best defensive player ever on this squad so thats something.

For the last 10 years, yes.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

yea, but the kid said "EVER".
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

yea, but the kid said "EVER".

I think older 9er fans need to realize that most of this board is made up of kids who's memories might date back to the late 1990s or early 2000s. Only a handful it seems experienced the 1980s as adults. I know I didn't but was old enough to remember the glory years (born in 1977). Have no memory of the 81 Superbowl but watched the 84 one and every game since then. =rest of the 80s and 90s. =2000s.
Is it April 1st already? Uh, Big NNNOOO!
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
With all due respect to the 84 defense, I was always comfortablee when these guys were on the field kicking ass.

DE- Jackson
DT- Young
DT- Stubblefield
DE- Doleman
LB- Norton
LB- Plummer
LB- Woodall
FS- Hanks
SS- Mcdonald
CB- Sanders
CB- Davis

Doleman didnt come on till later. After Deion was long gone.

alot of people also forget Rod Woodson rode with us around 94-95
Share 49ersWebzone