LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 432 users in the forums

The Idea of Hiring an OC Assistant.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
In fairness to Raye, he was hired as the OC so he could run Singletary's "smash mouth" offense. Perhaps the fact that he was slow to change, was because the head coach himself was slow to change.

AGREE!

Yep, at least he's flexible.
Other than continuity can someone explain to me why Johnson is being hyped as the next big OC in waiting for the 9ers?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I truly feel if Sing had to pull Raye's arm to run the "Raye-Gun", then Raye isn't the OC we need because he didn't want to adjust to what the players were more comfortable in and what would produce.

I wonder if there would be any possibility of hiring an Assistant OC from college who knows everything about the "Spread"?

But that would make too much sense.

Why? Johnson knows the spread (even though we don't run it), he is already here and is already being groomed to take over.

THAT, I didn't know. What's his history with the Spread?

a few articles posted within recent weeks (too lazy to look them up, sorry) mentioned that he spent time between gigs studying the spread.

Studying and successfully aplying are very different.

Johnson is basically the assistant:

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/mike-johnson/f005f61c-a3b8-4f39-9248-ec77cd76a3db
Quote:
In 2003, Interim Head Coach Wade Phillips asked Johnson to call the Falcons offensive plays for the final two games of the season. In those two contests, Vick compiled his second-highest quarterback rankings of the year (119.2 at Tampa Bay, 12-20-03, and 93.0 vs. Jacksonville, 12-28-03). In 2002, Johnson guided a young receiving corps that included WR Brian Finneran, who had the best year of his career, recording 838 yards on 56 receptions and six touchdowns.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/04/30/is-qbs-coach-mike-johnson-the-49ers-key-man-on-offense-for-the-future/

Quote:
But what I keep hearing is that Johnson, possibly even more than offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, is being eyed as an important offensive force in the Singletary era.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/01/singletary-cons-1.html
Quote:
On whether QBs coach Mike Johnson will have greater responsibility or possibly become coordinator: "I think right now, we've got a lot of conversations that we have to have. Right now Jimmy is the coordinator and I just think it's a matter of putting pieces in the right place."

My take: Raye will have a job with the 49ers in 2010. The 49ers want that continuity. The question is whether Johnson's role increases while Raye's diminishes or perhaps whether the 49ers bring in another mind -- call it a "running game coordinator" or something -- to assist Raye. The plan always has been for Johnson to take over for Raye at some point.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090808/sports/908089962
Quote:
He visited Ohio State, where he spent time with coach Jim Tressel and quarterbacks coach Joe Daniels, his former mentor at Akron. He also met with Ron Zook’s staff at Illinois. Johnson sees Illinois’ spread offense as the most applicable to the NFL game because of the Illini’s ability to run the ball successfully.

“Mike has everything it takes to be a successful coordinator or head coach in the NFL,” said Oregon State coach Mike Riley, the man Johnson calls his greatest coaching influence.
no need, just fire the O.C

you all keep talking about continuity, there will still be some if mike johnson takes over.
I truly feel if Sing had to pull Raye's arm to run the "Raye-Gun", then Raye isn't the OC we need because he didn't want to adjust to what the players were more comfortable in and what would produce.

I wonder if there would be any possibility of hiring an Assistant OC from college who knows everything about the "Spread"?

i think it was Raye who was pulling Sing's arm because Sing wants to run all the time
Originally posted by pd24:

Why? Johnson knows the spread (even though we don't run it), he is already here and is already being groomed to take over.

THAT, I didn't know. What's his history with the Spread?

a few articles posted within recent weeks (too lazy to look them up, sorry) mentioned that he spent time between gigs studying the spread.

Studying and successfully aplying are very different.

Johnson is basically the assistant:

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/mike-johnson/f005f61c-a3b8-4f39-9248-ec77cd76a3db
Quote:
In 2003, Interim Head Coach Wade Phillips asked Johnson to call the Falcons offensive plays for the final two games of the season. In those two contests, Vick compiled his second-highest quarterback rankings of the year (119.2 at Tampa Bay, 12-20-03, and 93.0 vs. Jacksonville, 12-28-03). In 2002, Johnson guided a young receiving corps that included WR Brian Finneran, who had the best year of his career, recording 838 yards on 56 receptions and six touchdowns.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/04/30/is-qbs-coach-mike-johnson-the-49ers-key-man-on-offense-for-the-future/

Quote:
But what I keep hearing is that Johnson, possibly even more than offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, is being eyed as an important offensive force in the Singletary era.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/01/singletary-cons-1.html
Quote:
On whether QBs coach Mike Johnson will have greater responsibility or possibly become coordinator: "I think right now, we've got a lot of conversations that we have to have. Right now Jimmy is the coordinator and I just think it's a matter of putting pieces in the right place."

My take: Raye will have a job with the 49ers in 2010. The 49ers want that continuity. The question is whether Johnson's role increases while Raye's diminishes or perhaps whether the 49ers bring in another mind -- call it a "running game coordinator" or something -- to assist Raye. The plan always has been for Johnson to take over for Raye at some point.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090808/sports/908089962
Quote:
He visited Ohio State, where he spent time with coach Jim Tressel and quarterbacks coach Joe Daniels, his former mentor at Akron. He also met with Ron Zook’s staff at Illinois. Johnson sees Illinois’ spread offense as the most applicable to the NFL game because of the Illini’s ability to run the ball successfully.

“Mike has everything it takes to be a successful coordinator or head coach in the NFL,” said Oregon State coach Mike Riley, the man Johnson calls his greatest coaching influence.

There's still nothing of him actually applying the Spread offense and being successful with it in the past. I do believe we should go Spread because that is what Alex plays well in and more importantly, so has Nate Davis. Let's hope Johnson knows it inside and out enough to tweak it to the Pro Game.
I believe Mike Johnson will take over soon enough...he's learning from Raye. But, it bears pointing out, one reason Raye tended to be conservative was he felt the OL had limitations, which they do. Baas, Rachal & Snyder are basically maulers...not very mobile, so he really couldn't incorporate sweeps, screens, etc. As also pointed out, our offense did do a 180 in mid-season...going to mainly the spread before moderating to a more balanced attack. He's also had to slowly gain confidence in Alex...so, cumulatively, he felt he had to delve into his playbook slowly. That should change as the OL solidifies and/or improves and Alex develops more chemistry with his receivers. All that said, Johnson's his heir apparent...so he needs to learn all he can, then take over at the appropriate time so as to maintain continuity, which the O needs so much.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I believe Mike Johnson will take over soon enough...he's learning from Raye. But, it bears pointing out, one reason Raye tended to be conservative was he felt the OL had limitations, which they do. Baas, Rachal & Snyder are basically maulers...not very mobile, so he really couldn't incorporate sweeps, screens, etc. As also pointed out, our offense did do a 180 in mid-season...going to mainly the spread before moderating to a more balanced attack. He's also had to slowly gain confidence in Alex...so, cumulatively, he felt he had to delve into his playbook slowly. That should change as the OL solidifies and/or improves and Alex develops more chemistry with his receivers. All that said, Johnson's his heir apparent...so he needs to learn all he can, then take over at the appropriate time so as to maintain continuity, which the O needs so much.

sounds reasonable

you have no place here
Originally posted by 49erFan:
In fairness to Raye, he was hired as the OC so he could run Singletary's "smash mouth" offense. Perhaps the fact that he was slow to change, was because the head coach himself was slow to change.

THIS! What's to say that Singletary wasn't the one who was reluctant to change or mix it up. It was pretty evident that he was stubborn about his philosophy when searching for the OC in the first place.

I don't love Raye, but he's gone through a lot this year. He was hired to do one thing and had to completely re-strategize his method several times throughout the year. That threw away all of the pre-season and off-season work they put in!
Mike Johnson I think will be much more involved next year with the gameplanning and possibly playcalling and I also think the kid Jason Michael I think is someone who may have a voice on the offense.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

When the OL has limitations, being conservative and predictable is the last thing you want to do. You MUST do things such as misdirection (playaction) and anything possible to get the ball into the hands of your skill players. We have skill players on offense, so why go conservative to predictable plays where a "bad OL" will get killed even more?

Teams with bad OL need to run traps, end arounds, quick hitch routes, quick slant routes, misdirection types of plays, passing routes that involve crossing and more horizontal for a quick throw or FB/HB circle passing routes.

When your OL dominates, THEN you can go more fundamental and straight ahead because the Defense can't stop it no matter what. Raye wasn't going conservative because of the OL, he was going conservative because he doesn't have a complex system and is not one who seems to want to make a defense react to him rather he reacts to the defense. Just look at what he does after a bad throw or an INT.
Share 49ersWebzone