LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 495 users in the forums

Doubts about Smith still exist

Shop Find 49ers gear online
For some reason, the column written by Lowell Cohn doesn't appear under webzone news articles so I thought I bring them to the attention of webzoners.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091227/NEWS/912279980?Title=Doubts-about-Smith-still-exist

This you must understand. The 49ers just defeated the Detroit Lions. That fact colors everything that follows.

Did the 49ers do well in the game? No one knows because they played the Lions.

Should we praise the 49ers for the win? No one knows because they played the Lions.

Did Alex Smith cement his status as a legitimate starting quarterback, as the 49ers’ quarterback of the future? No one knows because they played the Lions. If you think I’m being stern, all I can say is: The 49ers beat the Lions.

I can tell you this. The 49ers’ offense in the first half stunk.

Alex Smith said, “I didn’t think we were inept or anything.”

It’s always good when a quarterback believes in his offense. But the 49ers’ offense scored six points in the first half, even though the defense constantly set it up with good field position, even though the Lions have the worst defense in the National Football League. You’re supposed to score points against chumps like the Lions and six first-half points is a skimpy amount, to the max. So, yes, the 49ers’ offense, at least in the first half, was inept.

The offense did better in the second half — well, not the entire second half, just the third quarter. It scored two touchdowns in the third quarter and put the game away. If the Niners hadn’t scored a couple of TDs, you’d be smacking yourself on the side of the head and wondering what was up.

In the postgame interview, someone asked Mike Singletary if his offense performed adequately, considering the opponent. Singletary paused on that one.

“You can say ‘given the opponent’ and all the other stuff,” he said. “If you lose the game, then all of a sudden, they’re a great team. The most important thing is we came out in the second half and picked it up. It’s really bad if it works the other way. You’re clicking in the first half. You come out in the second half and you can’t move the ball. It was more us not executing in the first half, and we did execute in the second half and that was the difference.”

Singletary said you can’t say “given the opponent.” Right here I’m going to say “given the opponent.” Given the opponent, the Niners should have annihilated those guys, scored 48 points, given the fans something to hoo-hah about, finished off the final home game of the season with an exclamation point instead of what they did — they put down a parenthesis or maybe a semicolon.

Come on, the 49ers had to make an offensive statement. Smith had to dazzle. He had to go off on the pitiful Lions. A few days ago, offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye said the Niners need to “eliminate the doubt and anxiety that surrounds that (quarterback) position in the organization.” Raye quickly backtracked and said he was talking about people outside the organization. Right.

Did Smith eliminate the doubt and anxiety? That’s the essential question the game was supposed to answer.

Well, he didn’t create more doubt and anxiety and that’s good. He didn’t throw a pick and he didn’t look scared or confused.

But did he eliminate the doubt? No, he did not. He left the doubt exactly where he found it — right there. He changed nothing. He gives the impression he might be a good quarterback next season but no one in his right mind knows for sure, and that includes Raye and Singletary. If they say anything different, they’re pulling your leg.

Where does this game leave Smith and the offense? It leaves them with everything to prove. The Niners have chosen Smith as their quarterback more on faith than evidence. They believe in him but they are not convinced by him. Neither are you.

I’ll tell you something else. The game next week against the Rams in St. Louis won’t prove anything. The Rams have one win in 15 tries. They are even worse than the Lions. Which means Smith will enter the off-season with a huge question mark over his head.

Someone asked Singletary how Smith performed against Detroit.

“I thought he was pretty consistent, nothing great,” Singletary replied.

I agree with that. I bet you do, too.
This could have gone in an of the other 20+ threads to bash Smith in.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
This could have gone in an of the other 20+ threads to bash Smith in.

no let it be, AND why are Cohn's articles not posted on the front page... we can't just have Matt Miacco's homer write ups everytime.... we need balance.... wishful BS vs Truth.
Doubts? 6 turnovers from the league's worst team and we barley score? Doubts? You think?
Smith is finally gonna have an off season without a new system, If he doesnt get it done in 2010 he`s gone...
I agree that Alex and the offense blew an opportunity to eliminate doubt by not scoring more.

At the same time 20 points is about the average we produced all year. The most points posted was a win against the Rams (35) and the loss to the Titans (27). The Niners put up 24 points in losses against the Vikings and Packers; They also posted 20 and 24 point victories over the Cardinals.

My point is, no matter who we play, bottom feeders or not, we need a better OL. I believe if Alex is given more time to set up and make his throws, while receivers get open down field, this offense will be more productive.

I for one will be glad when there is nothing left to focus on except Alex's performance. Then the excuses will be over and there is no doubt left.

When that time comes, he is either going to be thumbs up or down.
[ Edited by kemp_j on Dec 31, 2009 at 6:24 AM ]
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:
Doubts? 6 turnovers from the league's worst team and we barley score? Doubts? You think?

The doubts shouldn't just be on Smith. The offensive line is just horrible.
Good points. I am and have been am Alex supporter. He has been mishandled from day one and we've heard over & over about the new offensive coordinator every year. BUT the time is at hand, either he has an excellent year next season or it's over.

He flat out sucked in the Lions game! Even when he had time to throw, the passes were inaccurate. Unacceptable.

Sure, he'd play better behind a better line and Gore would get many more yards. If we keep Alex or drop-kick him we MUST get a much better Oline and a MUCH better Oline coach.

The next season is it for Alex - either get much better or get lost!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good points. I am and have been am Alex supporter. He has been mishandled from day one and we've heard over & over about the new offensive coordinator every year. BUT the time is at hand, either he has an excellent year next season or it's over.

He flat out sucked in the Lions game! Even when he had time to throw, the passes were inaccurate. Unacceptable.

Sure, he'd play better behind a better line and Gore would get many more yards. If we keep Alex or drop-kick him we MUST get a much better Oline and a MUCH better Oline coach.

Alex Smith laughs all the way to the bank.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I agree, next year is it or it's time to move on.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Dec 31, 2009 at 8:38 AM ]

who is Alex Smith?
Of course they still exist, he has until the end of next season to erase them, or he most likely will be gone.
there will always be doubt til he PROVES something especially in BIG GAMES when it time for him to be CLUTCH. i hope he can though, cause if he does, we'll have the qb we need for the future. we can also start the turn around towards the dynasty days. GO NINERS!!! in 2010.
Alex smith right now is an Average QB. After obviously being mishandled by Nolan and that he was hurt for 2 years I think he has earned a chance to come back and see what he can do next year. If there is a QB out there that is Obviuosly better then Alex Smith yes bring him in. If one of the top two QB fall to them in the draft and they think he can be a Manning or Brady hell yes daft him.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!!!
Share 49ersWebzone