LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 266 users in the forums

Evaluating Alex Smith the next two games....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by lamontb:
It really is working out perfectly. Smith plays out 2010, the final year of his contract and we decide on the Qb situation in 2011, If Alex plays well he's back as the starter if not he moves on and we look for another Qb,(possibly Nate Davis) in 2011. It really is working out nicely.

Smith still being a question mark going into his 6th season isn't perfect at all.

4th season if you take out the 2 years he missed because of injury.

Joe won a SB after his first full season and third season overall with 24 starts. Alex has 38 starts. The year before Joe took over the Niners went 6-10. His first full season they went 16-3 including post season wins. The '81 starting lineup had 9 rookies and 1st year players.

They had a Hall of Fame coach who had had two previous seasons to implement the most innovative and productive offensive system of a generation. Also, he was brilliant in acquiring players and basically built a great defense that year through the draft (Lott, Wright, Williamson) and free-agency (Reynolds, Dean.) Even this group of players had bumps after their initial success; in 82 the Niners went 3-6 in the strike-shortened season.

I'm not arguing that Smith will ever be anything like Montana; there are only a handful who have ever played that can be compared. But I will argue that to compare Montana and that 81 team that had Walsh as the head coach and chief decision-maker regarding player personnel to what Smith has experienced during his tenure with the Niners is a bit of a stretch.

I am not saying Alex should be compared to Montana but some in here treat him like he is Joe's equal or close to it. Why is it that no one say anything negative about Alex when he hasn't done anything?

Plenty of people say negative things about Smith. Others feel he has gotten a really raw deal and still has potential. Some are rooting for Alex and some are hoping for his success because that would be the best possible scenerio for the organization. Others disagree arguing that it is time to cut losses. My personal opinion is that there is no better option for the Niners next year.

If, for whatever reason, it doesn't pan out than the Niners have to move on. Hopefully Davis is the player that many think he will be and will be ready if that happens. Maybe there will be better options in free-agency than there seems to be for next season. Or maybe 2011 is the time to draft a QB in the first again. But, regardless of any of our opinion's, Alex is going to be the starting QB at the beginning (barring injury) of next season. From what I have seen this season, I think that he will succeed and the Niners will be in the playoffs next year. Am I "bet-the-house" certain of that? No. Just hopeful.
It really is working out perfectly. Smith plays out 2010, the final year of his contract and we decide on the Qb situation in 2011, If Alex plays well he's back as the starter if not he moves on and we look for another Qb,(possibly Nate Davis) in 2011. It really is working out nicely.

Smith still being a question mark going into his 6th season isn't perfect at all.

Joe won a SB after his first full season and third season overall with 24 starts. Alex has 38 starts. The year before Joe took over the Niners went 6-10. His first full season they went 16-3 including post season wins. The '81 starting lineup had 9 rookies and 1st year players.

They had a Hall of Fame coach who had had two previous seasons to implement the most innovative and productive offensive system of a generation. Also, he was brilliant in acquiring players and basically built a great defense that year through the draft (Lott, Wright, Williamson) and free-agency (Reynolds, Dean.) Even this group of players had bumps after their initial success; in 82 the Niners went 3-6 in the strike-shortened season.

I'm not arguing that Smith will ever be anything like Montana; there are only a handful who have ever played that can be compared. But I will argue that to compare Montana and that 81 team that had Walsh as the head coach and chief decision-maker regarding player personnel to what Smith has experienced during his tenure with the Niners is a bit of a stretch.

I am not saying Alex should be compared to Montana but some in here treat him like he is Joe's equal or close to it. Why is it that no one say anything negative about Alex when he hasn't done anything?

Plenty of people say negative things about Smith. Others feel he has gotten a really raw deal and still has potential. Some are rooting for Alex and some are hoping for his success because that would be the best possible scenerio for the organization. Others disagree arguing that it is time to cut losses. My personal opinion is that there is no better option for the Niners next year.

If, for whatever reason, it doesn't pan out than the Niners have to move on. Hopefully Davis is the player that many think he will be and will be ready if that happens. Maybe there will be better options in free-agency than there seems to be for next season. Or maybe 2011 is the time to draft a QB in the first again. But, regardless of any of our opinion's, Alex is going to be the starting QB at the beginning (barring injury) of next season. From what I have seen this season, I think that he will succeed and the Niners will be in the playoffs next year. Am I "bet-the-house" certain of that? No. Just hopeful.

I back whoever is wearing our uniform and have been/was hopeful of Smith. When local writers and Zoners say the reason he'll start in 2010 is because he is "the best we have right now", it doesn't exactly inspire confidence and kind of makes it sound like he's the best of the bottom of the barrel.
If we had a Montana, Young, Bono- like group and he was hands down the best, I would give him my support and would expect others to as well. Since he is the starter by default and not performance, I don't see how he deserves the adulation he gets in the Zone.

I back whoever is wearing our uniform and have been/was hopeful of Smith. When local writers and Zoners say the reason he'll start in 2010 is because he is "the best we have right now", it doesn't exactly inspire confidence and kind of makes it sound like he's the best of the bottom of the barrel.
If we had a Montana, Young, Bono- like group and he was hands down the best, I would give him my support and would expect others to as well. Since he is the starter by default and not performance, I don't see how he deserves the adulation he gets in the Zone.

It really cuts both ways when it comes to Smith. Barring injury it should be clear by this time next year exactly what the Niners must do at the QB position in 2011 and into the future.
Here are most, if not all, of the top-rated QBs drafted in the last five years and their current QB ratings:
1. Rodgers 102.4
2. Flacco 89.9
3. Young 85.2
4. Ryan 79.1
5. Smith 78.5
6. Henne 73.6
7. Cutler 71.1
8. Quinn 67.2
9. Sanchez 62.3
10. Stafford 61.0
11. Freemen 60.1
12. Russell 49.6
13. Leinart N/R

Alex deals with a worse than average OL, a higher than average number of drops, tipped balls and badly-run routes because of his young, inexperienced, stone-handed receivers. If one adjusts for that, his QB rating might move him up to fourth. He may not be a Joe Montana, but he is what we have. Our team's job is to help him get the most out of his ability. To get a better QB through free agency or the draft is, based upon the above stats, very uncertain.

It really cuts both ways when it comes to Smith. Barring injury it should be clear by this time next year exactly what the Niners must do at the QB position in 2011 and into the future.

Dude it's been clear since 2006 lol.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

So it was clear to you and should have been to the rest of us after Smith's second season? I think you might have been in the minority in that judgement then. Seems as if a few (including the people whose jobs depend on their evaulations and player's performances) are still not entirely convinced that Smith isn't the future.
[ Edited by BHulman on Dec 26, 2009 at 11:14 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Lol. If people like you ran the NFL, Steve Young would have been out of the league before being a 49er, and would not be in the HoF now. We were the WORST team in the NFL when Smith got here. Terrible at EVERY position! Smith could not be judged properly even at the end of the 2006 season. At least not by anyone who understands football.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

Why do we say 2011????? 2009 is not over yet, 2010 its coming up... wtf??? remember the colts, seatle, eagles games?? (just 2 mention a few). HE SUCKS!!! im not a hater but he's a bust....
but u know what?? lets just wait till 2012, the world is gonna end so might as well give him 2 more yrs 2 develop!!!!
Originally posted by excelsior:
Here are most, if not all, of the top-rated QBs drafted in the last five years and their current QB ratings:
1. Rodgers 102.4
2. Flacco 89.9
3. Young 85.2
4. Ryan 79.1
5. Smith 78.5
6. Henne 73.6
7. Cutler 71.1
8. Quinn 67.2
9. Sanchez 62.3
10. Stafford 61.0
11. Freemen 60.1
12. Russell 49.6
13. Leinart N/R

Alex deals with a worse than average OL, a higher than average number of drops, tipped balls and badly-run routes because of his young, inexperienced, stone-handed receivers. If one adjusts for that, his QB rating might move him up to fourth. He may not be a Joe Montana, but he is what we have. Our team's job is to help him get the most out of his ability. To get a better QB through free agency or the draft is, based upon the above stats, very uncertain.

Yeah, but Shuan Hill somehow managed to have a winning record during his tenure the past couple of years with the same crap around him that Alex has. Hell, Shaun had an injured Gore & no Crabtree. Shaun wasn't supposed to be the long-term solution, but we'd have at least made the play-offs if he had stayed in. We were just ONE WIN away from the playoffs. Alex cost us the play-offs with his typical choke job. What crap! Let's stop evaluating and let's start winning again. Alex just doesn't have "it"!
Share 49ersWebzone