There are 216 users in the forums

Raye thinks he may not be back next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
From Crumpacker:

He'll be back: After 33 years as an NFL assistant coach and coordinator, Jimmy Raye, 63, said he intends to return to the 49ers in 2010 as offensive coordinator. "Yes" was his one-word answer when asked if he'll be back next season. That in itself is remarkable for the 49ers, who have had seven offensive coordinators in the past seven years.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/18/SPOH1B5VQA.DTL
This thread should be locked.

-9fA
Could the "decision process" Raye was referring to be the decision about starting Alex in 2010? Like he would be here but maybe not have much say in the process?

Either way, I hope Raye comes back and Alex quiets all doubts over our remaining games (as Scot seemed to indicate those games would impact the decision).
Isn't Tom Rathman the OC-in-training?
I'm pretty sure that the GM said this was singletary's call. Why would Sing drop Raye? I think any questions about next years staff were answered last monday night. As long as we beat Det and STL nobody is going to panic and fire anyone and Raye isn't going anywhere.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
This thread should be locked.

-9fA
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Isn't Tom Rathman the OC-in-training?

As much as I wish it were true I think they are grooming the QB coach for that.
Kids, repeat after me:

Raye will be OC in '10.

Johnson will be named assistant OC/QB coach in '10, so that it is harder for another team to snatch him.

Johnson will be OC in '11.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Kids, repeat after me:

Raye will be OC in '10.

Johnson will be named assistant OC/QB coach in '10, so that it is harder for another team to snatch him.

Johnson will be OC in '11.

This
can't we keep the system and just change the playcaller? (raye)

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
can't we keep the system and just change the playcaller? (raye)

Well that experiment turned out to be great is it? Norv left and he groomed Hostler and kept the offense.
wow just 6 weeks ago this guy was the worst position coach in the NFL what a surprise change in opinion around here
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/12/rayes-ideal-off.html

Interesting. I know he hasn't been amazing, but holy crap 6 OCs in 6 years for the QB, OL, RB, etc. is bad. We might as well keep him for continuity sake and give him a chance to draw up some more plays. I don't want to see us go to a whole new system or coordinator again.

Nod a big deal. Mike Johnson becomes OC...seamless; he's more responsible for Smith's development than Raye anyway.
Originally posted by lamontb:
wow just 6 weeks ago this guy was the worst position coach in the NFL what a surprise change in opinion around here

meh, I still think he's sub par. Too erratic and seems like he really doesn't have a plan of attack.
I just dont think that Mike Johnson the QB coach is ready to assume those duties...The last thing we need is another Jim Hostler...
Share 49ersWebzone