LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 179 users in the forums

Buyer Beware: The Cardinals Game Was A Fluke

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We sweep them, and you think its a fluke? What kind of logic is that? Is Indianapolis just a fluke because they've only won 13 in a row?
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Originally posted by valrod33:
1 game is a fluke 2 games is a trend

we swept them

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
HATER
Originally posted by RamItOn:
We sweep them, and you think its a fluke? What kind of logic is that? Is Indianapolis just a fluke because they've only won 13 in a row?

Technically, it's 22 in a row....

just saying....

LOL, j/k
7 turnovers is rare but a win is a win. We never get credit for wins here on the zone and it seems like wins are a result of the other team crapping on themselves. Lets see how we do in philly. It be nice to put a nice string of games together.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
IT'S NOT A SWEEP CUZ SHAUN HILL WON ONE AND ALEX SMITH WON ONE SEE MY LOGIC?
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Originally posted by RamItOn:

Technically, it's 22 in a row....

just saying....

LOL, j/k

technically technically its 13-0

playoff loss
Sometimes i think you get turned on, by ruffling (hmm ruffles) with others.

I just think its funny. And i appreciatet the laugh. I'll be keeping an eye on your threads. Thank you

[ Edited by SolRebe1 on Dec 15, 2009 at 16:24:49 ]
Sorry MD, but I have to firmly and adamantly disagree. We came to play on the National stage, and on our home turf.

It would be different if we had been losing to Arizona lately, but we've beaten them two times in a row now with two different QB's. Arizona has a tough time finding an answer for us.

What's not to say we just had some off games? We'd be an almost surefire playoff team if it hadn't been for two fumbles on kick returns. We almost shut out a current AFC playoff team in the Jaguars, and the 13-0 Colts and 11-2 Vikings were LUCKY to have beat us. That leads me to believe we're better than our record, despite a few poor games that were lost due to mental mistakes like the Cardinals displayed yesterday.

My opinion is that a thread like this should have waited, and only been posted if we came out and got obliterated next week at Philly. You'd see far less uproar then...
I appreciate what your saying, and definitely don't want to get my hopes up to high to get them crushed again next week at Philly, but......

I have to believe that the Niners played to their true level and beat a GOOD Cardinals team for the second time. Now the fact that the Niners know their personal had a lot to do with the victory, but thats the same advantage the Cardinals had. This team truly should have at least 8 wins right now if not more. We lost a lot of close games by shooting ourselves in the foot. The Minnesota game was ours had it not been for the horseshoe in Brett Favres butt.........

We all knew (including you) the Niners could get it done. Finally, they did it and on Monday night!!!! Now they need to finish the season the same way......

I think the week 14 ESPN power rankings review on the cardinals sums it up.

"Bill Bidwill owns the Cardinals 363 days a year. The 49ers own them the other two days." Sando
Originally posted by Esco:
IT'S NOT A SWEEP CUZ SHAUN HILL WON ONE AND ALEX SMITH WON ONE SEE MY LOGIC?

I don't see your logic....... The NINERS beat them twice this season.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It was nice to go to bed late last night with a studly victory over a hated divisional rival, especially the Arizona Cardinals. The team played well, the coaching staff seemed prepared, and the fans were pumped.

Now, back to reality.

Niners' fans have to take this game for what it is: A fluke. The Cardinals are a better team than the Niners right now, but as we know, every game is a new game, and you can only take one game at a time. This was one game. A great game for the Niners, and a stinker for the Cards.

Any victory is sweet, but the reality is that the Cardinals had no business turning the ball over seven times. Our defense is simply not that good, and their offense is simply not that bad. I hope fans do not expect the defense to be a turnover-creating machine from every game on out. This was an exception.

The same goes for Frank Gore, who looked terrific. However, let's not kid ourselves. Gore is a middle of the road running back. He's going to have a few great games, some average games, and some poor games. This was one of those special nights where everything fell into place.

The offensive line opened up huge holes, and dominated the Cardinals DL throughout the game. However, this is not our normal OL. We have struggled all season, and I doubt this one game changes the reality that our line generally stinks.

And, I sincerely doubt that our team suddenly falls back into the "smashmouth" philosophy. Who would we be kidding? We are a passing team that works best when the field is spread out. It just so happened that for one week, we could line up in a regular offensive formation and run at will.

Our CB's contained Fitzgerald and Boldin to less than 70 yards receiving TOTAL, but let's be realistic. Our passing defense was amongst the worst in the NFL going into the game, and I sincerely doubt that we are going to play weekly at a high level. It was just a wierd, wierd game.

And, finally, for those who think the Niners' pass rush has been solved, this would be another mirage. No doubt that we should salute the excellent effort of Justin Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, and company. But once again, the offensive line performance this week by the Cardinals was a joke. If they played this poorly the week before, they would have surrendered 56 sacks to Jared Allen and the Vikings. They just stunk for a week, and we looked fresh.

So, while celebrating this victory, which was very sweet, the reality is that this game is indicative of the NFL. One week you can stink, and the next you can shine. The week before, the Cards whacked the Vikings and the Niners lose to the crappy Seahawks. This week, the Seahawks were crushed by the Texans 34-7, the Vikings destroyed the Bengals 30-10, and the Niners defeat a good Cardinals team.

So, I raise a toast to the David Baas', Dashon Goldson's, Ahmad Brooks', Dre Bly's, Adam Snyder's of the world this week, fully knowing that these players had terrific games. But, let's be realistic in our expectation of these guys down the road.

It is simply one week in the NFL. One wild and wacky week.

Why even post this, MD?
Last night was a great night to be wearing the red and gold. However, a couple of things give me caution to pause regarding playoff aspirations.

since our opening day victory over the Cards, we haven't won another away game.

7 turnovers and only 24 points.

This team doesn't have the consistency usually seen in playoff contenders. I do think we're on our way.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong in Philly.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Last night was a great night to be wearing the red and gold. However, a couple of things give me caution to pause regarding playoff aspirations.

since our opening day victory over the Cards, we haven't won another away game.

7 turnovers and only 24 points.

This team doesn't have the consistency usually seen in playoff contenders. I do think we're on our way.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong in Philly.

The fact that the Niners won't be in the playoffs is what gives me pause about my playoff aspirations.

But otherwise I totally agree
Share 49ersWebzone