LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 300 users in the forums

Main reason for our loss?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Main reason for our loss?

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by danimal:
1. The end around return was the mistake of the game. Especially in terms of momentum, at that point the opponent had yet to drive the ball on us, so you had the idea that without a gimme they would have been overwhelmed soon. But we gave em the gimme.

2. at the end the playcalling should have been runs to play for OT, I don't really blame Alex

As for Gores fumble, I don't really consider punched out fumbles from behind as major blame fumbles, to me those fall in a different category.

Agree. Seattle still had 2 timeouts and if we didn't convert we were kicking to them with favorable field position. 2 passes later is all it took.

actually that is my personal rule I try to follow as well. Does 2 passes and a FG beat me? if the answer is Yes....I am trying to avoid that. Does it take 3 passes and a FG to beat me? if the answer is Yes....I can live with that if it happens
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Where is the coaching option? Go for it 4th and goal cost us 3 points. Stupid punt return reverse, executed in Keystone cop fashion, gave Seattle an easy 7 points. Not making sure Seattle would not have time for a winning drive inside 1 minute, cost another 3 points. Stupid coaching caused a 13 point swing. Add to that wasted time outs and this coaching staff shouldn't be coaching a junior college team let alone in the NFL, but I bet they sure work cheap!
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
1. The end around return was the mistake of the game. Especially in terms of momentum, at that point the opponent had yet to drive the ball on us, so you had the idea that without a gimme they would have been overwhelmed soon. But we gave em the gimme.

2. at the end the playcalling should have been runs to play for OT, I don't really blame Alex

As for Gores fumble, I don't really consider punched out fumbles from behind as major blame fumbles, to me those fall in a different category.

Agree. Seattle still had 2 timeouts and if we didn't convert we were kicking to them with favorable field position. 2 passes later is all it took.

actually that is my personal rule I try to follow as well. Does 2 passes and a FG beat me? if the answer is Yes....I am trying to avoid that. Does it take 3 passes and a FG to beat me? if the answer is Yes....I can live with that if it happens

On the our last 3rd down attempt I was telling my cousin (also a Niner fan) at the bar that if we throw and do not convert Seattle will be sitting pretty.
Keith Smith
They aren't very good?
  • ninersfan
  • Info N/A
Anyway you look at it, turnovers cost us this game. 10 points off the turnovers is the difference in the game, unfortunate but it is what it is.
dude play calling was garbage. along with the horrid dropeed passes. we took frank gore out of the game ourselves.
If you want to look at 100% PREVENTABLE mistakes, the biggest thing that hurt us was Mark Romans "block to the back" penalty.

Battle returned the punt to the 40 yard line. It would have given us a GREAT chance to score at a critical time of the game.

After the penalty, we were on the 10 yard line, then a false start, and all of a sudden we are just running the ball and trying to create some space for our punt.
Then Seattle had great field position for the entire 3rd quarter.

Even with all the fumbles and drops, we would have won this game if not for that 100% preventable, unnecessary penalty.

It was a huge momentum swing like Gores fumble, but it was 100% preventable.

This. I really don't get why everyone is overlooking the end around fumble.
Originally posted by saj4423:
all of the above and more

This

Originally posted by doodle:

The DECISION to do an end around was the mistake of the game, no doubt.

It destroyed our momentum like no other point during the season. It was utterly stupid. I'll even go so far to say that our double-reverse play that was SUCCESSFUL was a stupid idea too. Those types of plays are just not WORTH the downside.

To do that right after a GREAT sack by the defense absolutely destroyed our momentum.

If the coaches feel we need trick plays to win a game, then it proves that they still don't believe in our players.

We played like a talented team that shot themselves in the foot in every possible way.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by doodle:

The DECISION to do an end around was the mistake of the game, no doubt.

It destroyed our momentum like no other point during the season. It was utterly stupid. I'll even go so far to say that our double-reverse play that was SUCCESSFUL was a stupid idea too. Those types of plays are just not WORTH the downside.

To do that right after a GREAT sack by the defense absolutely destroyed our momentum.

If the coaches feel we need trick plays to win a game, then it proves that they still don't believe in our players.

We played like a talented team that shot themselves in the foot in every possible way.

Great point and I totally agree. My wife did not understand why I was pissed again after the second reverse, the sucessful one.....but I too did not like what that told me about the coaches frame of mind
In Order . . .

1. Non-Call mugging of Delanie before he dropped pass (Ref/Player) . . . seven points lost.

2. Bone head punt return reverse fumble (Players/Coach) . . Seattle converted into seven.

3. TD off of Vernon's hands (Player) . . . FG made . . . four point swing.

4. Gores fumble (Player) . . . it was an epic drive that started at the two . . . Seattle converted fumble into three . . . six to ten point swing.

5. Not playing for OT when pinned deep late (Coach). We should have only pushed it if we got a good kick return . . . yeah right.

If we'd played a clean game we would have won going away.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
In Order . . .

1. Non-Call mugging of Delanie before he dropped pass (Ref/Player) . . . seven points lost.

2. Bone head punt return reverse fumble (Players/Coach) . . Seattle converted into seven.

3. TD off of Vernon's hands (Player) . . . FG made . . . four point swing.

4. Gores fumble (Player) . . . it was an epic drive that started at the two . . . Seattle converted fumble into three . . . six to ten point swing.

5. Not playing for OT when pinned deep late (Coach). We should have only pushed it if we got a good kick return . . . yeah right.

If we'd played a clean game we would have won going away.

You should make #1 sing's decision to not take the fg and put up the first points of the game. Yet another "rule" I tend to like coaches follow...ALWAYS take your first points in form of FG's if need be.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I honestly blame the punt return fumble

That was such a stupid thing to do at that point. We have NO PR thats any good and you decide to do an end around???? That KILLED our momentum and we never got it back.

Stupid stupid stupid
Share 49ersWebzone