LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 119 users in the forums

next two games will settle the Hill vs Smith argument once and for all!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
The next two games are the real test when it comes to the A. Smith vs S. Hill argument! Hill beat these teams already, and he got the cards in Arizona with Warner as the starter.

So, if A. Smith can't beat the next two teams (Cards at home), the argument is moot and S. Hill is the best QB on this roster!

Wow some of these threads are ridiculously stupid... HASSELBECK was not playing the first time around remember?? and hill didnt even score a TD.. Arizona Started out horrible because they couldnt find the chemistry they had.. now they are much better.. Two different teams and two different times

Hill is horrible.. yea he is a good leader.. but dont stick to 2 drives that the guy actually did good on and put them on alex.. if you want to do that, I got at least 6 drives i can bring up from alex's end as well... wow...
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by jcs:
Alex didn't win against Jax...the D won against Jax

No Alex did.

Alex won the game!!!

You PLAAAYY to WIN the GAME!

Hello??????
  • B650
  • Veteran
What a stupid thread. What can you do though? There's always going to be 2 or 3 guys who are blind to what's really going on. After 5.5 games, it's amazing that there are still people who feel Hill is the better QB. What's their basis? Their basis is that Hill "manages games," and that he "has one more win than Alex." That's a pretty stupid argument considering Hill has started 6 games, while Alex has only started 5. First it was "Alex hasn't won a game." Then it was "Alex throws too many picks." Next up, it's "Hill has a better QB rating." Now if you look at the stats, Smith is better in every single category, so all they can say is, "Hill has more wins than Smith." It's hilarious. After this Sunday, Smith is also going to be 3-3. I wonder what they're going to come up with next?

The next two games are the real test when it comes to the A. Smith vs S. Hill argument! Hill beat these teams already, and he got the cards in Arizona with Warner as the starter.

So, if A. Smith can't beat the next two teams (Cards at home), the argument is moot and S. Hill is the best QB on this roster!

shaun hill sucks. he will never be the starter on any team ever again. ever.

Just give it up , Hill is old news and back to the bench were he belongs. It is time for you to move on as well , Hill is not the starting QB for this team .....
It's already settled. LOL. Where have you been? It's Alex now and probably into the future with more spread offense.

Hill still has more wins than Alex to this point, so it is far from settled.

Hill will only start if Alex gets hurt, so yeah for all intensive purposes it's settled.....

Very few are making the argument. What this offense is capable of with Smith settled the argument already.
Originally posted by WINiner:
It's already settled. LOL. Where have you been? It's Alex now and probably into the future with more spread offense.

Hill still has more wins than Alex to this point, so it is far from settled.

Hill will only start if Alex gets hurt, so yeah for all intensive purposes it's settled.....

This.

It is Smith. Not Hill. Not Davis. And with the usual provisos covering any NFL player, that is it. No controversies. No arguments to settle.
Can't seem to find a way to jump off the Hill wagon? All well you can still dream.
i can't believe we were on the hill bandwagon.

The threads have been getting pretty ridiculous since Smith has been starting and playing decent at QB. And I'm talking about ridiculous even for Niner Talk
Originally posted by thojess:
I think we both know that is an absurdly simplistic view of a vastly more complex comparison. I don't think you're being intellectually honest; what with bringing such a light-weight, troll baiting thread into existence.

light-weight, troll baiting thread?

What is the most important stat for a QB? I will give you a hint W-L ...

This is one of the things that bothers me the most. How on earth do you judge a Quarterback on a team statistic?

Quarterbacks don't win or lose games - teams do. While it's true that Quarterbacks often play a large role in the outcome of the game, to attribute wins or losses to them is at best an insult to the rest of the team and at worst totally ignorant of the game of football.

Remember when Trent Dilfer won a superbowl? He had a pretty good W-L record that year... should we bring him back?

What about Patrick Willis? What's his W-L record? How about Gore? Crabtree?

You judge a team based on W-L. You can judge a coach or a GM based on W-L. But to say that that is the most important stat in judging any player - including a QB, is simply ignorant.
Let me start by saying I think the 49ers have a good shot at winning the next two games.

HOWEVER, you can't judge Smith's worth against two teams that Hill happened to beat (no thanks to Hill minus his one drive against AZ)

Teams are going to make adjustments just as the 49ers have made (especially on offense), which makes these next two games almost guaranteed to play out completely different than the last time we played them.

I guess my point is, in the case that if the 49ers lose the next two games there are too many variables to blame Smith completely unless he makes it blatantly obvious that it was his fault.

Not trying to be a debbie downer, and I'm still optimistic we can win the west, GO NINERS!
Originally posted by B650:
What a stupid thread. What can you do though? There's always going to be 2 or 3 guys who are blind to what's really going on. After 5.5 games, it's amazing that there are still people who feel Hill is the better QB. What's their basis? Their basis is that Hill "manages games," and that he "has one more win than Alex." That's a pretty stupid argument considering Hill has started 6 games, while Alex has only started 5. First it was "Alex hasn't won a game." Then it was "Alex throws too many picks." Next up, it's "Hill has a better QB rating." Now if you look at the stats, Smith is better in every single category, so all they can say is, "Hill has more wins than Smith." It's hilarious. After this Sunday, Smith is also going to be 3-3. I wonder what they're going to come up with next?

Well, I distinctly remember this time last year when everyone constantly repeated... "But Hill came in late in the season, and there wasn't any pressure to win" and so on and so on. That same theory does apply to Alex.

Hill put together a solid string of wins last year, when teams were supposedly unable "to game plan for him." He was severely gimped by the lame azz playcalling this year, yet still managed to go 3-3. Smith has yet to do that. As far as I see it, he is 2-3 as a starter. He really needs to prove his worth over these next few games.

If anything, the arguement should be "which QB should we keep as a backup?" if Alex falters the rest of the season...
It had been settle 5 games ago when most of us witness Hill's inability to move the ball for 2 games straight. So Hill getting benched in the middle of a game 5 weeks ago and haven't been back in since didn't settle the argument. Is their any media group out there crazy enough to call for Hill to be reinserted into the starting line up...pretty much only some at the Zone.

I appreciate Shaun for what he gave to the team. He won some games WITH the team when Smith got injured and need some time to recover from the injury AND his game. But his skills is marginal, in mobility and passing.

Hill is like Dilfer without the knuckle head INT. I better stop, I think I have insulted the Dilfer crowd regarding his arm strength. And no Dilfer didn't won the SB his Raven defense and special team did.
Share 49ersWebzone