There are 188 users in the forums

The QB Situation: Opening Day 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
how about trading a draft pick for a proven qb?

No.

And there won't be any quality ones available. Only if there is a quality FA with no compensation of draft picks required like Drew Brees to N.O.

So I guess you'd rather be a bottom dweller of a team then. That crystal ball of yours is pretty certain that we will suck again next year too then. Damn it!!!

I don't see the problem with his post. If there is a free agent like Drew Brees, then we go for it, but I don't think there is.

If we traded for a proven QB, we'd have to give up the farm... If we were in a situation like the Vikings, where we only needed a proven QB to get to the next level, then I'd say yes... But we have a lot of needs (LG, RG, RT, pass-rushers, safety)
Originally posted by Wubbie:

No.

And there won't be any quality ones available. Only if there is a quality FA with no compensation of draft picks required like Drew Brees to N.O.

So I guess you'd rather be a bottom dweller of a team then. That crystal ball of yours is pretty certain that we will suck again next year too then. Damn it!!!

I don't see the problem with his post. If there is a free agent like Drew Brees, then we go for it, but I don't think there is.

If we traded for a proven QB, we'd have to give up the farm... If we were in a situation like the Vikings, where we only needed a proven QB to get to the next level, then I'd say yes... But we have a lot of needs (LG, RG, RT, pass-rushers, safety)

The problem I see is the Alex Smith Bias everywhere, even in this post. WHen someone brings up the posibility of maybe a veteran FA or a Rookie better than the mincemeat QB we throw out there every week.

He says with Certainty, NO, Alex is what we have basically and all we can get so deal with it. That is Balogney. Sure another offseason he'll be the man...
Originally posted by hofer36:
an argument for building around alex smith:

1. no better option will be found in free agency---jason campbell is probably the cream of the free agent crop.....a drew brees in free agency comes along about as often as haley's comet

2. no better option will be found in trade. who will be available for trade that is any good? a jay cutler comes along when ther eis trouble with his team...many here wanted derek anderson or brady quinn, but look how they have done (notwithstanding quinn's good day today--remember it was vs lions)
a kevin kolb may come along, but how proven is he? and teams usually have to overpay for qb prospects

3. smith has shown improvement this year, especially in terms of accuracy and pocket presence...coming in to today's game he was at 65% completion and has now 9tds vs 7 int...not over whelming numbers but factor in oline play that doesnt give him much time to throw unless he is in shotgun, and questionable play calling

also, smith is showing some chemistry with both crabtree and davis--jason hill as well, which I would expect to improve with another off season and with smith going into 2010 as starter...morgan has talent but he and smith havent hooked up much. but again i expect that will improve...keeping raye as o-coordinator with johnson being groomed as his successor also would give smith needed continuity....smith has the physical tools to do very well, his throws to davis in the seam as wellas the td pass to crabtree were fine throws, and the 3 tds today came on 3rd & 20, 3rd & 10 and 4th & 5, which is impressive

4. drafting a qb---the 1-9 teams (browns rams) and other teams likely to draft ahead of niners (bills, skins) are likely to get the premium qb prospects--and even if one falls into niners laps, they will likely not be ready to contribute immediately ....adding help at offensive line and pass rush will improve niners more, at least in short run than taking a qb high

Correct.

No.

The problem I see is the Alex Smith Bias everywhere, even in this post. WHen someone brings up the posibility of maybe a veteran FA or a Rookie better than the mincemeat QB we throw out there every week.

He says with Certainty, NO, Alex is what we have basically and all we can get so deal with it. That is Balogney. Sure another offseason he'll be the man...

How do you explain his success in the shotgun / spread formation? We are running the wrong offense for him.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Depends on what happens on draft day because I think we'll be taking a QB high.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Depends on what happens on draft day because I think we'll be taking a QB high.

Not high but maybe in 2nd round like a McCoy/Snead.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Snead might not declare.

Both us and the Panthers are 4-6 and that leaves a decent chance we could have back to back picks in the top 15. That's a great opportunity to get your QB.
Snead might not declare.

Both us and the Panthers are 4-6 and that leaves a decent chance we could have back to back picks in the top 15. That's a great opportunity to get your QB.

True has to be 1 offensive player and 1 defensive player in my opinion for our 1st two pics.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Snead might not declare.

True has to be 1 offensive player and 1 defensive player in my opinion for our 1st two pics.

I'm wondering if one of them is an offensive linemen. We need an OL, but I wonder if we try to shore this up in free agency or the middle rounds.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Snead might not declare.

I'm wondering if one of them is an offensive linemen. We need an OL, but I wonder if we try to shore this up in free agency or the middle rounds.

Wub, entirely agree with your first post. But don't talk about shoring up the line with mid range picks or FA. We have played around with this for too long. We need a quality OT (which means IMO a high pick in this draft) and a starting OG (so 2nd or 3rd round) as well as some depth. As we are also in desperate need of pass rush (1st round) and safety (3rd or 2nd) the maths is clear. This doesn't appear to be a good year for drafting qb's and we have too many other needs.

So it is likely to be Smith and Davis. Fortunately I think Smith will be ok behind a half-decent line

• mayo49
  • Veteran
We have no choice but to go with Smith in 2010. Unless, we're taking a Qb in the top 15, I don't see a rookie Qb coming in and starting. My ideal scenerio would be to take Tony Pike of the Cincinati Bear Cats in the 2nd round and let him and Alex battle it out for the starting job in 2010. I see Smith winning this battle. Smith should be alot better in his second season with Raye and the year on the bench should be beneficial to Pike. Then in 2011 start Pike and have Smith back him up, unless Smith somehow wins the Qb battle and Pike isn't ready to start.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:26 AM ]
Packers weren't playing "soft". Did you see the blitz packages?

Also, drafting a pass rusher and oline should be the number 1 priority. This nonsense in focusing on QB is just crazy. Sure if we get a QB that is clearly a can't miss draft the guy but if not then look for best player at the oline and pass rusher positions.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

No.

How do you explain his success in the shotgun / spread formation? We are running the wrong offense for him.

It would appear like it's the wrong O for the team and personnel too
  • impresso25
  • Info N/A
If there is a God in Heaven, this will happen:

We lose every single game the rest of the year.

Sam Bradford or Jimmy Claussen is still on the bored when we pick first.

I understand all of you that want Alex to work....as I do as well, but we need to wake up and realize it's not going to happen.

I don't care about the reasons or the schemes or anything else. I only care about the bottom line that he sucks.

Let the Alex dreams go people. And if you think Shaun Hill is the answer, there is really no hope for you to make it in life.
Originally posted by mayo63:
We have no choice but to go with Smith in 2010. Unless, we're taking a Qb in the top 15, I don't see a rookie Qb coming in and starting. My ideal scenerio would be to take Tony Pike of the Cincinati Bear Cats in the 2nd round and let him and Alex battle it out for the starting job in 2010. I see Smith winning this battle. Smith should be alot better in his second season with Raye and the year on the bench should be beneficial to Pike. Then in 2011 start Pike and have Smith back him up, unless Smith somehow wins the Qb battle and Pike isn't ready to start.

I'm down with drafting Pike as well.

No QB on the 1st round! We need to draft two OLinemen or a OL and a pass-rusher.
Share 49ersWebzone