There are 185 users in the forums

Alex can succeed in a spread offense.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Alex can succeed in a spread offense.

Alex in the Spread Offense may work for a while, but eventually defenses WILL catch up to it and he won't have a choice but to adapt. That means going under center as well.

If you don't believe me look up the history of the Shotgun that the 49er's implemented in 1960. It worked like a charm for a few games ... UNTIL the Chicago Bears found a way to defend against it. The result was a humiliating loss of something like 31-0.

Some of you talk about Shaun Hill's inability to throw long passes which basically relates to him being one dimensional. SO, if Alex can't be effective directly under the Center and can only be effective in the Shotgun. IMO he is also ONE dimensional.

What happens when other defenses catches up to him and his spread offense?
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Alex in the Spread Offense may work for a while, but eventually defenses WILL catch up to it and he won't have a choice but to adapt. That means going under center as well.

If you don't believe me look up the history of the Shotgun that the 49er's implemented in 1960. It worked like a charm for a few games ... UNTIL the Chicago Bears found a way to defend against it. The result was a humiliating loss of something like 31-0.

Some of you talk about Shaun Hill's inability to throw long passes which basically relates to him being one dimensional. SO, if Alex can't be effective directly under the Center and can only be effective in the Shotgun. IMO he is also ONE dimensional.

You can spread out the offense with him under center too. Just don't do 2 WR's and an I formation backfield. That's not him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You can spread out the offense with him under center too. Just don't do 2 WR's and an I formation backfield. That's not him.

Co Sign.

You put a decent o line in front of him and he will be just fine in an I formation, he did fine with Turner's power I, with less talented receivers.
Originally posted by Method:

Co Sign.

Isn't that what we did against TEN? He threw a lot and I recall people complaining that it was a spread but it wasn't from shotgun, which is what he's comfortable with.

He just can't make the reads quick enough during the drop-back for some reason or he just doesn't feel comfortable with the mechanics involved because he got decent time to throw in the TEN game.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Method:

Co Sign.

Isn't that what we did against TEN? He threw a lot and I recall people complaining that it was a spread but it wasn't from shotgun, which is what he's comfortable with.

He just can't make the reads quick enough during the drop-back for some reason or he just doesn't feel comfortable with the mechanics involved because he got decent time to throw in the TEN game.

I disagree. I feel like Alex needs to get in a rhythm before he can confidently throw from behind center. We should run 2 or 3 pass plays from shotgun first, to allow Alex to get some throws in, then start mixing up the play calls. His 4th down throw to VD was out of the I-Formation, but he was in a really nice rhythm with some great passes at that point.

Ye sir.....I actually think that's our best offensive set moving forward.
Share 49ersWebzone