LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 360 users in the forums

I think the Green Bay game proves one thing...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by btwagner:
The problem is the oline and defense.

How many games do we give the defense a pass with it giving up 30+ points a game? The offense scored 24 points. Not bad at all.

true but the offense is getting nothing in the 1st half......so the d is always on field for the 1st half

And the 1st half play calling had no spreads or shotgun formations. Only 7 pass plays. Just crazy. The oline really sucked during the 1st half. Gave up 3 sacks on 7 pass plays.

We gave up 3 sacks on 10 pass plays. We ran the ball 7 times.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I don't believe that a spread offense throughout an entire game is sustainable, and that is pretty much the entirety of Alex's success this year. Do we need to run it more? Absolutely. But it isn't a magic remedy for staring down receivers, poor pocket presence, and below average footwork.

Alex has played very poorly in conventional sets. Would we do well if we just opened it up from play #1? Maybe, but there isn't much precedent for success like that. It would be schemed against, and his fundamental flaws would be exposed again.

If you guys think that this scenario is sustainable, that's your prerogative. I disagree. I think it's Fool's Gold. IMO, this game proved that QB isn't our ONLY problem.

In my opinion for what it's worth I think we should at least try to run more 3 WR sets. But until our o-line can pass block with any consistency we will struggle on offense no matter what.

Alex Smith ahs proven to me that he isn't a quarterback who can carry a team on it's back for a whole game, he needs to have good protection and WR's who can get seperation consistently because he can't seem to make the throws necessary when the pocket is collapsing around him or his WR's are well covered. But give him great protection and he can function pretty well.

This game has proven to me that QB is a problem but we have much much greater concerns than QB at the moment.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Today, Smith's performance showed that we may need to draft a QB next year. You cannot blame everything on the playcalling and take away from the misfired throws. This game falls on Smith and the OC both. We didn't really have any drops, but Smith was showing what he did in 06'. Lots of throw aways and some bad reads. That being said, I do feel like Smith was gimped by our playcalling in the first half.

Why the hell does Raye only do spread every down or super conservative? Does this moron have two completely separate playbooks, and refuses to mix them at all? I mean, this is just plain ridiculous...

Wow. You def. didn't watch this game. The defense gave up over 480 yards and 30 points. Smith threw 3 TDs and played well when Raye started calling pass plays in the second half.

I have watched it over again already, and I still reply the same. Smith has several misfired throws, but as I said, he was partially gimped by the playcalling in the first half. He also had several throwaways, and some other questionable throws.
Originally posted by 915Niner915:
I agree about the qb thing. Our o line is terrible!

They looked pretty good in the second half when we threw the ball.

Hmm, maybe its not entirely the quarterback OR the offensive line, hmm... we throw the ball, we score points... hmm... I wonder what the problem is...

... this is a tough one...
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 915Niner915:
I agree about the qb thing. Our o line is terrible!

They looked pretty good in the second half when we threw the ball.

Hmm, maybe its not entirely the quarterback OR the offensive line, hmm... we throw the ball, we score points... hmm... I wonder what the problem is...

... this is a tough one...

oh oh I know I know! It's the playcalling
Today, Smith's performance showed that we may need to draft a QB next year. You cannot blame everything on the playcalling and take away from the misfired throws. This game falls on Smith and the OC both. We didn't really have any drops, but Smith was showing what he did in 06'. Lots of throw aways and some bad reads. That being said, I do feel like Smith was gimped by our playcalling in the first half.

Why the hell does Raye only do spread every down or super conservative? Does this moron have two completely separate playbooks, and refuses to mix them at all? I mean, this is just plain ridiculous...

Wow. You def. didn't watch this game. The defense gave up over 480 yards and 30 points. Smith threw 3 TDs and played well when Raye started calling pass plays in the second half.

I have watched it over again already, and I still reply the same. Smith has several misfired throws, but as I said, he was partially gimped by the playcalling in the first half. He also had several throwaways, and some other questionable throws.

Smith is only comfortable in a PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS run PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS type of offense. Anything else, and he loses his sense of rhythm and feel.

This should have been figured out weeks ago, but when Smith throws the ball a LOT, he does well. It fits his history and personality, it fits our players too. Even our O-line seems to prefer the rhythm of a heavy passing offense.

So what you're saying is, you want a QB that never, ever makes a mistake. Yeah, good luck with that.

Smith is only comfortable in a PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS run PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS type of offense. Anything else, and he loses his sense of rhythm and feel.

This should have been figured out weeks ago, but when Smith throws the ball a LOT, he does well. It fits his history and personality, it fits our players too. Even our O-line seems to prefer the rhythm of a heavy passing offense.

well then shouldn't that be a hint then?
Originally posted by backontop:

well then shouldn't that be a hint then?

not to singletary whos trying to fit a squared peg into a circled hole
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I don't believe that a spread offense throughout an entire game is sustainable, and that is pretty much the entirety of Alex's success this year. Do we need to run it more? Absolutely. But it isn't a magic remedy for staring down receivers, poor pocket presence, and below average footwork.

Alex has played very poorly in conventional sets. Would we do well if we just opened it up from play #1? Maybe, but there isn't much precedent for success like that. It would be schemed against, and his fundamental flaws would be exposed again.

If you guys think that this scenario is sustainable, that's your prerogative. I disagree. I think it's Fool's Gold. IMO, this game proved that QB isn't our ONLY problem.

In my opinion for what it's worth I think we should at least try to run more 3 WR sets. But until our o-line can pass block with any consistency we will struggle on offense no matter what.

Alex Smith ahs proven to me that he isn't a quarterback who can carry a team on it's back for a whole game, he needs to have good protection and WR's who can get seperation consistently because he can't seem to make the throws necessary when the pocket is collapsing around him or his WR's are well covered. But give him great protection and he can function pretty well.

This game has proven to me that QB is a problem but we have much much greater concerns than QB at the moment.

I'd like to see an increase in 3 WR sets as well. However, in order for us to be sustainably successful, he needs to be able to operate from under center efficiently (although not exclusively) and needs to be able to make plays while being pressured.

You said that if you give him great protection he can function pretty well. I agree with that. But I also think that you can say the same thing about 40 other QBs in the league. Being able to succeed while getting great protection isn't what separates good QBs from bad ones, IMO.

I'd like to see an increase in 3 WR sets as well. However, in order for us to be sustainably successful, he needs to be able to operate from under center efficiently (although not exclusively) and needs to be able to make plays while being pressured.

You said that if you give him great protection he can function pretty well. I agree with that. But I also think that you can say the same thing about 40 other QBs in the league. Being able to succeed while getting great protection isn't what separates good QBs from bad ones, IMO.

I notice that LA knocks Alex Smiths mechanics and his footwork, as well of his reading of coverage...LA you been around alot and have made it known in the Parking Lot of your situation, so I am wondering what makes it so that you can grade a players technique and mechanics? If you could break down the flaws in his footwork and the flaws in his reading of coverage I would be more than happy to see it. Could you please also include what he needs to do to fix them as well as break down the coverages he retouinely has trouble reading? You are seeing something that I dont, but I am busy with my real job so maybe you could enlighten me since people who have never had any experience in high level football know so much?
[ Edited by nvchamp9ers on Nov 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM ]
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

So what you're saying is, you want a QB that never, ever makes a mistake. Yeah, good luck with that.

... Did I say that? No, not at all. It would be nice if he made less mistakes though.

I don't agree with this statement.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
I notice that LA knocks Alex Smiths mechanics and his footwork, as well of his reading of coverage...LA you been around alot and have made it known in the Parking Lot of your situation, so I am wondering what makes it so that you can grade a players technique and mechanics? If you could break down the flaws in his footwork and the flaws in his reading of coverage I would be more than happy to see it. Could you please also include what he needs to do to fix them as well as break down the coverages he retouinely has trouble reading? You are seeing something that I dont, but I am busy with my real job so maybe you could enlighten me since people who have never had any experience in high level football know so much?

I don't see why it's so difficult for someone who doesn't have any experience in high level football to acquire knowledge about fundamentals.

Regarding his footwork, IMO, he struggles in terms of "exploding" out from under center and getting his feet set. This costs him time. Good QBs get to the proper throwing position quicker than he does, from my observation, which I admit could be wrong. I don't think that his first step with his right foot is big enough. I don't think his hip movement is quick enough in his first step either. As for what can be done to fix that, it can either be improving leg strength, or simple repetition, depends on the player. I think it's probably the latter in his case. He's awkward at best. He doesn't have to worry about this when he's in the Shotgun, so this flaw is masked.

I never comment on a QB's ability to read coverage, because I can't see it on TV. Don't know where you got that from.

I don't think he does a good job of feeling where the rush is coming from, and buying time.

I don't think he uses his eyes well and has a tendency to stare receivers down. This is why, in my observation, you see the CB and ball often arriving at the same time. Rich Gannon was all over him for doing this vs. Tennessee.

We'd have to watch a game together in order to argue specific plays and cite specific examples. That being said, I don't know why you think that the basic fundamentals are such a mystery to all but those who work in the sport.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Nov 22, 2009 at 4:31 PM ]
This season is starting to look like the '06 season. Smith is starting and doing a decent job. However, the defence is starting to cave against good offense teams.

MJD must be licking his chops after seeing what Ryan Grant did against niner D.
Share 49ersWebzone