There are 168 users in the forums

A massive flaw in our 2 minute D...and a quick fix.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Redrath, you are correct that they scored almost a qtr earlier, but it was that drive that we just couldn't stop. So what i should have said was that once an opponent is literally beating our ears back, like on their scoring drive, maybe we need to take a timeout, and switch to a full blitzing package. Whatever time it was, 14:53 as you said, they were on a roll, and we had no answer. I don't know if a full out blitz would have helped much on that HB option where we flat out blew the coverage or not. Nonetheless, we need desperately to change our 2 min D away from playing not to lose and blitzing, however many guys it takes. Neither Peyton nor Favre did well when we had guys in their faces all nite. On Colts last scoring drive we didn't...and we should have, regardless of what time it was.

A full blitz against Peyton Manning? Come on now. Indy's a bad game to reference we played them well and they got us on a trick play.

If you remember correctly we got to Peyton with our interior lineman. Basically we got to him without heavily blitzing.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Redrath, you are correct that they scored almost a qtr earlier, but it was that drive that we just couldn't stop. So what i should have said was that once an opponent is literally beating our ears back, like on their scoring drive, maybe we need to take a timeout, and switch to a full blitzing package. Whatever time it was, 14:53 as you said, they were on a roll, and we had no answer. I don't know if a full out blitz would have helped much on that HB option where we flat out blew the coverage or not. Nonetheless, we need desperately to change our 2 min D away from playing not to lose and blitzing, however many guys it takes. Neither Peyton nor Favre did well when we had guys in their faces all nite. On Colts last scoring drive we didn't...and we should have, regardless of what time it was.

A full blitz against Peyton Manning? Come on now. Indy's a bad game to reference we played them well and they got us on a trick play.

If you remember correctly we got to Peyton with our interior lineman. Basically we got to him without heavily blitzing.

Payton hadn't been sacked for 5 games prior and we got to him 3 times! ITs was from mixing up the coverages and good play by DL and DBs.

This is completely about being a Monday Morning Quarterback and nothing about scheme and blitz packages. Sure, Singletary should have done (insert counter to choice), but he didn't and they lost. Speculating is a lot easier after the fact.

You didn't seem to bring up the blitzes used against Chicago that resulted in successful screens and slants that resulted in their ability to march down the field. Blitzing more isn't going to solve anything, especially regarding an issue that doesn't exist.

Originally posted by 49ers:
You completely missed his point.

Really? Because when the poster says the team isn't successful in the two minute defense and I contend that they have been, that's hitting the point square in the face.

[ Edited by redrathman on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:05:28 ]
Ninerwinner, i agree with you re: no pass rush and relying on blitzes, different sets to confuse the opposing qB. If we had a better player than they did at each position, blitzes, different sets, new looks wouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately, we are not so blessed. If everybody on D played like #52, we could just play straight up 3-4/ 4-3 or whatever. That is not reality, however, and hence we have to manufacture more D than we have talent for. Actually, what we are speaking about is coaching, because few if any teams are going to have all pros at every position. And that is exactly my point here, we need a plan, set in place long ahead of time, on how we will respond on D if they opposition is just moving down the field like Sherman thru Atlanta.

Right now what we have in place in last 2 mins, or if like Peyton, they suddenly just start moving us piecemeal downfield, we have to have something better than 5 DBs or worse, 6. Putting more 9ers in the D backfield is proven not to work. We need a blitz pack with differing looks to use when the other team is beating us up. And that is what my suggestion has been from the gitgo. We actually played good D, but we have no answer for when it's the last 2 mins or the opponents are running a no huddle 2min Offense. Right now we have none.

Darth, i agree with you . That Dre deal we got screwed.

[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:34:24 ]
Originally posted by redrathman:
Take a look yourselves...Vikes, Colts, Bears. We had all three beaten until the last 2 mins when our D just takes a dump...and an ugly one at that. But subtract that from the rest of the game the D played, and they played quite well. Okay, the Colts beat us, but Peyton didn't, and we were in it until the last play . The Vikes didn't beat us, Favre, on a hail mary did. Last nite we had the Bears beat, then were about to lose, again in the last 2-3 minutes, when our excellent D went into the 2 min disaster it did in both the Vikes and Colts games. We couldn't stop anything Favre, Peyton or Cutler did in the final two minutes...until cutler ended it with a nice pass to Mike Lewis.

So what the heck is happening? We are playing good D, maybe great D, until it really matters, at the end of the game with 2 mins to go. All 3 teams, stymied by us until the last 2 minutes, suddenly can do no wrong against a D that had stopped Adrian Peterson all nite, FAvre all nite, peyton all nite, cutler all nite...all until the last 2 minutes...our fateful "D 2 minute drill".

Okay, how to fix the problem. Well, like anything else, one cannot fix something if he doesn't realize there is a problem. Okay, the D, while playing well, has a real problem, and it is the last 2 minutes of the game. Okay, now we know the problem, how do we fix it? I'm no coach, but we have some good ones, and between manusky and bigmike, they OUGHT to be able to come up with a new D plan for the last 2 minutes, with the game on the line. Some of it, i suppose, is playing not to lose....which always fails. But at times we have blitzed. In both the Vikes and Colts games, we did it too late and too infrequently on the final drives.

Manusky and bigMike need to realize this fatal flaw in our D, and set about how to counter it next time, and for the rest of their careers. It was pretty obvious in the Vikes and Colts games that both QBs did poorly with our blitzes. We just didn't use them until too late, and then not often enough. Is this enough to fix our 2 min D drill, or do we need different players, different sets...heck who knows. But realizing the problem is more than 50% of the fix, and the coaches need to take it from there.

Did you even watch the games you referenced?

The Colts scored and went ahead with 14:53 left in the fourth quarter.

The 49ers won last night. If intercepting a pass in the end zone is what it takes to win, I'd love to see it every game.

The Vikings won on a last second miracle by Favre at the 40 yard line. This is really the only true game you could point to as a failed late defensive stand, though it wasn't for a lack of pressure.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You've wasted not only my time, the board's time, but also your own time in writing up this poor excuse for a football strategy.

this^
Originally posted by Sinsation:
we can prevent this by going up by more than 1 score...getting a 1st and goal at the 5 needs to be a TD. RZ playcalling needs to be better...Dropping pick 6's...shouldnt put our defense in that situation to begin with.

This. Have a lead of more than one score near the end.
I wish, faninPA, i wish.
  • Clementi
  • Info N/A
I know its almost pointless to bring up but man something needs to be looked at in terms of these illegal contact penalties on final drives.....

Bly barely touched the bears receiver and for so an important down in the game to call that a penalty is ridiculous. I know its the rule but wow, from tv commentators to radio commentators, everyone thought that was a garbage call!

Clementi
Share 49ersWebzone