LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 202 users in the forums

Our Defense played really bad today

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We had a lot of good stops but it seemed like when we really needed a stop, we couldn't do anything. I'm sure everyone will agree that Haralson had the biggest goof up of anyone. He had Johnson 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage on the 4th and short play but instead of cutting him off he got greedy and missed what would have been the biggest tackle of the game.

On top of that it seemed like we had a ton of other defensive miscues. It seemed like every 3rd and short play was either a Vince scramble or a screen to Johnson but we never had a QB spy and we always gave Johnson a free release through our blitzers. Aside from Franklin and Willis our defense played really bad.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Yes they did, they looked like s**t...

So did the rest of this team.
Our D is masively overrated.
This whole franchise looks bad.
They had 24 points scored on them due to Smith turnovers. I'm going to give them a pass.
lol wut

The defense played well enough to win today.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
They had 24 points scored on them due to Smith turnovers. I'm going to give them a pass.
yeah, no.
How many +20 passes did vince young have?
This defense simply doesn't have the talent to execute what they need to execute. On 3rd not one player in the front 7 can beat there man and get a sack. or qb pressure. the players just aren't that talented anyway you want ot cut it. Manny and Parys can't create any pressure at all. The only good part of the defense which was the run d got exposed today. Seemed as if willis was playing by himself half of the game. Franklin made some plays in the 1st half but none in the second. It's the same old story no pass rush. But hey the brilliant Gm thought that the roster didn't need to add any pass rush help at all.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Our D is masively overrated.

I agree, you guys seem to forget, we have like 95% of the same players on def from last year, and last year they couldnt make stops when it counted, or get off the field....

what made you think that wouldnt return?
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Chief:
Yes they did, they looked like s**t...

So did the rest of this team.

agreed

They gave up a couple of big plays, but gave our team, TWO chances late to win.
regardless of CJs stats, we did well against the run. Its the pass on key situations that hurt us. Even through VY threw for under 200yds, he and TEN burned us when it counted, and our secondary has to be better than that. I wanted to throw my remote when VY threw to Scaife for the 1st down on 3rd and 4. Lawson had Young the whole way and the DB came up to help instead of playing the TE, horrible!!
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

Look at it this way the Titans scored on the short field allowed by Alice, not on the long field provided by the kicking game, other than the first two drive our D was fine, no great but plenty good enough to win today, Smith KILLED us!
Missed Clements in run support today!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Missed Clements in run support today!

This is lost in the fray but the loss of Clements hurts more than most want to give him credit for.
Share 49ersWebzone