There are 302 users in the forums

Totally Dysfunctional Team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Lots of talk about Sing losing people, lots of fans jumping ship. Talk about Sing losing his players, it all comes back to credibility, and having your actions meet your words,

Mike Singltarys actions are not meeting up well with his words, and therefor the outcomes are not as he predicts!

This can lead to a spiral were the out come moves farther and farther away from his words and actions, a seeming disconnect with reality.

Mike seems to think that flexibility is a weakness, he is not used to have to adapt.
If you don't know how to adapt and make change, you will generally do one of two things. You will either stick to your guns and go down with the ship. Or you will flail about looking for answers, Mike appears ready to go down with the ship, rather than flail.

Mike is left with only these choices because he has always lived by the my way or the highway tough guy code.

Bill Walsh was smash mouth vertical passing disciple of Paul Brown, he ran this kind of offense in Cincinnati, and in Oakland, when faced with a changing world and a limited roster, he was able to change what he did.

Don Shula won with Larry Zonka and a power running game in the seventies and was able to be flexible in the eighties and win with passing and Dan Marino.

Singletary needs to learn who to be flexible in a hurry, I don't think after a lifetime of willing his way through walls he can learn to walk around them.
dysfunctional is overstated.

They are just not very talented, and incompetent.
You can blame some of the inconsistency in offensive philosophy to having a different OC every year. Every OC has guys they bring in to put their stamp on the offense. The ones that we have drafted have been pretty consistent though. Our drafted players have all been, for the most part, pretty big and physical.
I get your points...what it all means to me is Singletary is NOT the coach to lead us to the promised land. I don't see him having a clear, realistic vision of what his team, particularly his offense is, or should be. If he truly thought or still thinks we can be a smash-mouth team, then I question his judgement of our talent. I think it's obvious he and Mac aren't on the same page...and they either need to get there quick, or it's time for some new leadership. I know the "change" word goes against the grain for the "norm", but really, what is the norm for our team. In a word, it's change. I'm talking about change for the better...to hire an experienced head coach and GM who share a real vision of what's needed to make the Niners not just relevant, but a consistent SB contender again. It means drafting much smarter, acquiring key FA's at reasonable prices, and committing to an achieveable identity and going after it full bore. I don't see that in the current regime...I hear a lot of good words, but I don't see the deeds. I also don't see Raye as the OC for the future...his best coaching days are behind him. We need someone who's more dymanic...who recognizes the talent he has and maximizes it. We can't try to be something we're not...the strength of the offense is the receiving corps...and now Alex is showing he can get the ball to them, if they continue to work hard to get open. Vernon and Crabtree are the two main guys, but there's plenty of room for Morgan, Hill and Jones to grab their share. That's where the OC has to call plays that promote spreading the ball to them. We all agree the OL needs immediate help...we have two 1st rounders, so let's grab two of the best and get it done. No more talk...it's time for action, and if Singletary's not up to it, then so be it. Bring on someone who can.
I blame mr. dumbass weak angles
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Lots of talk about Sing losing people, lots of fans jumping ship. Talk about Sing losing his players, it all comes back to credibility, and having your actions meet your words,

Mike Singltarys actions are not meeting up well with his words, and therefor the outcomes are not as he predicts!

This can lead to a spiral were the out come moves farther and farther away from his words and actions, a seeming disconnect with reality.

Mike seems to think that flexibility is a weakness, he is not used to have to adapt.
If you don't know how to adapt and make change, you will generally do one of two things. You will either stick to your guns and go down with the ship. Or you will flail about looking for answers, Mike appears ready to go down with the ship, rather than flail.

Mike is left with only these choices because he has always lived by the my way or the highway tough guy code.

Bill Walsh was smash mouth vertical passing disciple of Paul Brown, he ran this kind of offense in Cincinnati, and in Oakland, when faced with a changing world and a limited roster, he was able to change what he did.

Don Shula won with Larry Zonka and a power running game in the seventies and was able to be flexible in the eighties and win with passing and Dan Marino.

Singletary needs to learn who to be flexible in a hurry, I don't think after a lifetime of willing his way through walls he can learn to walk around them.

Here is an example of how flexible Sing is: "The Spread is not what we practiced in training camp." WTF? So even though we're good at it we can't use it because of what we did last summer?
Share 49ersWebzone