LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 162 users in the forums

jimmy rae, playcalling, and getting plays in on time.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i don't know if it is jimmy rae, or bigMike, or whoever, but somebody gets an F- for getting our plays in to alex(shaun) with very little if any time left. Obviously our OC can't call 2 plays at the same time, let alone 3. He , or whoever is in charge of calling the play and getting it to alex, needs to have his butt kicked to get his calls in immediately. Obviously what is happening, is that JR is not able to quickly figure out what play to call based on the down, yard line, and situation. You would think an OC would have a list of plays to call for different situations, yet our OC gets plays to the Qb with just seconds to spare, or like last 3-4 games, gets plays in so late that the QB has to burn a Timeout, or worse, we get penalized 5 yds...and sometimes, on back to back plays.

I won't make any comments on our OCs playcalling. I will say he is not giving our QBs a fair shot to see the D, survey the field, and make any changes as necessary, because JR can't get the plays in on time. He may or may not be a good or even excellent OC...but not getting the plays in...CONSISTENTLY...until the last moment is getting to the point where he either has to improve or he needs to be replaced. What he is doing now puts our qB at a huge disadvantage, with just enough time(or not) to get to the line and call the snap count. The D knows when the ball will be hiked and can tee off on our QBs, because, the ball is almost always snapped with 1 or 2 seconds to go...and that just won't cut it.

Maybe JR's mind just works slowly, maybe the call has to be okayed by bigMike...heck i don't know what is going on. But i do know this. Both the Manning boys, Brady, Rothlesberger...all get to the line with plenty of time. We don't , and if bigMike wants to correct a huge goof up, here is a great place to start.
yes
Raye called a great game today compared to the rest of the games but yeah, the clock management and getting the plays in on time needs to improve A LOT. I kind of wonder if on those 3 and 4 wide sets if guys had trouble figuring out the play because they haven't really used that stuff in the games with Hill.
Jimmy takes naps in between plays. That's why he's sometimes late. Give the guy a break.
That type of stuff should clear up quite a bit in the coming weeks... it's too bad we have little to no chance of winning next week.

Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Jimmy takes naps in between plays. That's why he's sometimes late. Give the guy a break.
I'm sure he has a playsheet for down, distance, and situations - don't be ridiculous. The challenging part is factoring in the defensive tendencies discerned from the pre-game film study and the current game to decide on a play. I would bet this is the point in the process where the OC is slow.

On a related point, the sideline has to send in the right personell for the down, distance and play called. When the OC decides on the call late, and it is different than the typical down, distance personell package, that is typically when you get delay issues.

The poor QB gets the play call late, gets in the huddle and starts calling out the play, only to realize this isn't the personell he expects for this play. Then he has to decide can the play work with this personnel or is it a complete bust. That is why you often see the play called, the personnell spread to the formation, and then the QB trying to direct a couple of lost players before he gives up on the play. LOL

THAT IS ON COACHING, MAINLY THE OC.

This joke is really stale. Think of something new.

I think Jimmy calls a fine game, if the players actually execute them.

I don't know what was going on with the getting the plays in at the end of the game. Perhaps they will answer it at the press conference.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

I don't know what was going on with the getting the plays in at the end of the game. Perhaps they will answer it at the press conference.

Not to mention totally unsubstantiated.

Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Not to mention totally unsubstantiated.

He actually fell asleep in team meetings when he was on the Jets. A player from their team was laughing about it early in preseason.

I always thought he knits afghans in between plays.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Raye called a great game today compared to the rest of the games but yeah, the clock management and getting the plays in on time needs to improve A LOT. I kind of wonder if on those 3 and 4 wide sets if guys had trouble figuring out the play because they haven't really used that stuff in the games with Hill.

Thats what I thought too, hopefully they practice a lot of those 3 & 4 WR sets this week in practice
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
It's such a broken situation that all we can do is crack jokes about it.
Share 49ersWebzone