There are 195 users in the forums

Do you miss the Martz Offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you miss the Martz Offense?

I miss the bill walsh offense, I remember the old days everyone wanted to be like the 49ers. But now we are trying to be like other teams!!! I just dont like it, Singletary is trying to build us into the mold of his bears. I dont know, wish we had some form of the Walsh offense.
Originally posted by meickue:
I miss the bill walsh offense, I remember the old days everyone wanted to be like the 49ers. But now we are trying to be like other teams!!! I just dont like it, Singletary is trying to build us into the mold of his bears. I dont know, wish we had some form of the Walsh offense.

this is a copycat league, so many teams installed some form of the WCO and now it's easier for DC's to prepare for the offense being so many teams run the system ...but yes I miss the days when we were the most creative and dominant offense in the NFL and sliced up a defense like no other

Originally posted by rum53:
Not at all. I'd rather win with a no frills offense than lose with an exciting offense.

Agree!
winning makes you forget things fast...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Winning ugly with Singletary > Losing sexy with Martz
Originally posted by Shaj:

Shaj, with your sort of ADHD/Anxiety, I am surprised you live through a run, run, run/pass type of offense.
Originally posted by meickue:

We don't have a reciever that can get huge YAC on a quick slant, which is a staple of the WCO. Therefore, we might as well stick with what we have.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by dman:
Why would I miss turnovers which = losing?

Maybe I don't understand the question.

Turnovers are generally a part of an aggressive offense.....

So what i'm trying to say is that would you take an aggressive offense with with a few turnovers here and there to one with no turnovers but less aggressive.

-9fA

This team cannot win when they give away the game.

I know you mean that an aggressive offense generally fills the sky full of footballs, but I seem to think that pounding the ball relentlessly can also be described as being aggressive. What's not aggressive about beating the opponent into submission with the run?

I was at the game yesterday and it was quite satisfying to see the Seahawks defense bent over at the waist all tired in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I did not see the 49ers defense tired at all because why? Because we chewed the clock to hell.

This 49er team is far better suited for a ball control offense rather than.....I guess an "aggressive" offense.

I don't miss a Martz offense and I don't miss his face.

PS we had more than just a few turnovers here and there, we lost games because of turnovers. At least 3 or 4.

Come on, I'm happy we're winning but let's call a spade a spade. Our offense is NOT controlling the clock. The reason we've been winning the T.O.P. is because of our DEFENSE.

Wanna see the proof: 3rd down efficiency against ARI: 28%
3rd down efficiency against SEA: 33%

Stop the presses! We're the first "ball control" offense that can't convert on 3rd downs!

We have a joke of an OC and make no mistake, he is gonna cost us some games. We could have blown ARI and SEA out and instead kept them in the game.

My hope is that Singletary seems aware of this issue (from what I've been able to tell from his press conferences).

Don't agree. While our defense has been good, it's partly because the offense is allowing them to rest. It's common football knowledge that the longer the defense is on the field, eventually they will give up points. Only the offense executing all the way down the field, allows the defense to rest and come in fresh.

Ask our defense if they would prefer a Martz offense. Ask our O-line and qb if they would prefer a Martz offense. Ask Frank Gore if he would prefer Martz offense or the "joke of an OC" offense.

I'm all for what wins, and so far the ball control offense is doing just that.

It isn't about agreeing. It's 28 % 3rd down efficiency!!!! Thas a fact, not an opinion. How is our offense allowing them to rest?? THEY CANT STAY ON THE FIELD!

Yes, our D would be MUCH better with Martz offense. At least our O was able to convert more than 30% of the 3rd downs.
Have you been watching the first part of last season? Obvioulsy not!

I did watch it. And our offense moved the ball very well and put points on the board (in the first few weeks JTO looked like a very good QB). Then JTO simply imploded.

Our D was much much worse last year. Remember: we were running that stupid 3-4/4-3 hybrid that couldn't get off the field.

Yes he moved the ball and then turned it over when should have scored.
Moving the ball up and down the field an then turning it over usually loses games.

The turnovers were JTO imploding. Once Hill got him, the turnovers almost disspeared, save from that St. Louis game. And most important: WE PUT POINTS ON THE BOARD. It wasn't just moving the ball.
All I have to do is think back to that game against the Tards last year where Martz's cost us the game with those two simply awefull play calls at the goal line to remember that he why he gone. Not to mention all the 7 step drops we used . Martz's Offense doesnt fit well with the personnal we have on this team, the Offense we currently run may not be flashy, but with results being wins thats all that matters in my book!!

Originally posted by 9erfreak:
All I have to do is think back to that game against the Tards last year where Martz's cost us the game with those two simply awefull play calls at the goal line to remember that he why he gone. Not to mention all the 7 step drops we used . Martz's Offense doesnt fit well with the personnal we have on this team, the Offense we currently run may not be flashy, but with results being wins thats all that matters in my book!!

Martz is an idiot and a paper OC. Next time you are down to your third RT: don't call 7 step drops.
Let's be honest we won, but we did win ugly...so ugly it was reminiscent of...the Hostler era. I realize this is a bold statement, but it is true.

We looked pathetic, horrid, putrid against Arizona; our defense saved us big.

Against Seattle we looked better, but how would the game have gone if Hasselbeck had stayed in the game? We had chances to put the game away but we couldn't come through.

Having said all that, we did improve...a lot...in one week. I think as the season progresses this offense is really going to be churning out more and more long drives. It is going to look more efficient and be more effective. I think as the season progresses, if our defenses doesn't experience a let down, we will see a few blowouts.

Martz was great, but he had some limitations. His running schemes were pretty basic and generally ineffective. His scheme worked great in gaining yards, but it was generally limited when it came to scoring in the redzone.
While Martz's offense had its flaws: seven step drops, no productive use of the TE, takes too many chances downfield, disregards the running game, etc.....he's still a passing genius, imo.

I went to three games last year (all with Shaun Hill at QB) and Martz ran essentially an option offense where the receivers would run a certain route based on the defense. At least one WR was running free (or the DB was 5 yards behind) on almost every passing play.

This is why Martz has no audibles because the audibles are built in.

The only way to cover them was to run a Cover 0 or Cover 1, but Martz of course, had his WRs run seam routes if they recognized no safety help.

Another problem with Martz's system is that you need a lot of talent on the OL because they are basically blocking on an island, speed at WR, and a QB would get the ball downfield consistently (things that we lacked last year).

I personally don't miss it because I just prefer smash mouth football but I did like Martz's philosophy: Put as much pressure on the defense as you can on every down.
[ Edited by DesiDez on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:58 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Shaj:

Shaj, with your sort of ADHD/Anxiety, I am surprised you live through a run, run, run/pass type of offense.

either way, I lose 10 years off my life with every game I watch. I'm the same way when I watch MMA...... my heart races at probably 110/min+ when watching. and my nails will hurt the next day from having picked them so much.
What I miss is the players. Once upon a time we had offensive studs who could excel in an aggressive high risk high reward system.

This is not a debate about Martz vs Raye. Does Raye fit our players better? YES. But lets not pretend that somehow we are better off without a Martz. Ideally we would like to have a offense talented enough to not waste on an OC like Raye.
Share 49ersWebzone