LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 265 users in the forums

Regarding Jimmy Raye after WEEK 2...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Regarding Jimmy Raye after WEEK 2...

i dislike when he tries to get cute. other than that, he's done a decent job.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Raye's play calling sucks and but I'm really surprised. This is not your father 49ers, this team about defense and running the ball. Its not gonna be pretty, we just have to learn to accept it. As long as we win that's all that matters.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Winners:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
That last Taser play he called SHOULD have been a first down, but Spurlock missed him. Robinson would have made that pass. Had that ball not been overthrown, you would have called Raye a genius for that call.

He called a WAY better game, and I was critical last week. I like how he faked the draw on third down (because we had run that play twice the week before). I was very impressed with the play calling on those runs. Brilliant!

I doubt it. Why put the ball in the hands of a "former" QB ? Take chances with your real one. Again, a lot of people like to use the "lack of faith in Hill" argument, but the point is moot. Hill has proven in 2 straight games that he can finish games when it counts. So whats Raye's deal ?

Watch that last taser play again, he had the defense totally fooled. That would have been a first down because dude was wide open. Put Robinson in there and he makes that pass, 49ers make a first down.

I think Hill is the greatest. I don't get some of you 49ers fans though. Last week it was "we can't run!" this week it's "we can't pass!". We DOMINATED that game, and most of the Arizona game. You don't need to pass when you're running that well, you just need to eat up clock.

1. the game isnt about the coulda, shoulda, woulda's. Yeah, Im sure if Montana came out of retirement for that one play, took the snap, and tossed it......it wouldve resulted in a first down and we would have cried "brilliance". But thats not what happened. Again, the Wild Niner has been an utter failure since its inception during the Jimmy Raye era.

2. I agree that we did nominate both games. But the score was not a reflection of it. This was mentioned several times during the game by Brian Billick. Playcalling was too predictable. A lot of run-run-run-punt drives after we went up by 10, allwoing the Seahawks to hang around (penalties and goofed snaps put them out of position to score on both drives). The Niners, like last week, had every opportunity to shut them down after the Gore TD in the 3rd. But we didnt, and it took Hill's arm to sustain a key drive to put the game out of reach. Gore's not going to break 70 yarders every week, and Hill's not going to make a key drive to close out games week in and week out. SO why put your team in that posiiton ?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Raye's play calling sucks and but I'm really surprised. This is not your father 49ers, this team about defense and running the ball. Its not gonna be pretty, we just have to learn to accept it. As long as we win that's all that matters.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

That last Taser play he called SHOULD have been a first down, but Spurlock missed him. Robinson would have made that pass. Had that ball not been overthrown, you would have called Raye a genius for that call.

He called a WAY better game, and I was critical last week. I like how he faked the draw on third down (because we had run that play twice the week before). I was very impressed with the play calling on those runs. Brilliant!

I doubt it. Why put the ball in the hands of a "former" QB ? Take chances with your real one. Again, a lot of people like to use the "lack of faith in Hill" argument, but the point is moot. Hill has proven in 2 straight games that he can finish games when it counts. So whats Raye's deal ?

Watch that last taser play again, he had the defense totally fooled. That would have been a first down because dude was wide open. Put Robinson in there and he makes that pass, 49ers make a first down.

I think Hill is the greatest. I don't get some of you 49ers fans though. Last week it was "we can't run!" this week it's "we can't pass!". We DOMINATED that game, and most of the Arizona game. You don't need to pass when you're running that well, you just need to eat up clock.

1. the game isnt about the coulda, shoulda, woulda's. Yeah, Im sure if Montana came out of retirement for that one play, took the snap, and tossed it......it wouldve resulted in a first down and we would have cried "brilliance". But thats not what happened. Again, the Wild Niner has been an utter failure since its inception during the Jimmy Raye era.

2. I agree that we did nominate both games. But the score was not a reflection of it. This was mentioned several times during the game by Brian Billick. Playcalling was too predictable. A lot of run-run-run-punt drives after we went up by 10, allwoing the Seahawks to hang around (penalties and goofed snaps put them out of position to score on both drives). The Niners, like last week, had every opportunity to shut them down after the Gore TD in the 3rd. But we didnt, and it took Hill's arm to sustain a key drive to put the game out of reach. Gore's not going to break 70 yarders every week, and Hill's not going to make a key drive to close out games week in and week out. SO why put your team in that posiiton ?

You can't blame the play calling on someone not executing the play. That Taser would have gone for a first down, if it wasn't for the error by Spurlock. It was a good play call, not executed well.

Who are you to say Hill can't make game winning drives? I've seen him do it plenty of times.
  • ZRF80

You can't blame the play calling on someone not executing the play. That Taser would have gone for a first down, if it wasn't for the error by Spurlock. It was a good play call, not executed well.

Who are you to say Hill can't make game winning drives? I've seen him do it plenty of times.

He can and does make gamewinning drives. Im just saying that we cant expect him to week in and week out, espeically if it is us (not the opposition) putting him in the position to do so. In both games, Hill was forced to commit to a
pass happy" game ending drive because Raye went into ultraconservative mode (run-run-run-punt) on preceding drives. Maybe if Raye opened up the playbook, and allowed the team (pass + run) to score points early, we could knock teams out and not even allow them to come back.

He can and does make gamewinning drives. Im just saying that we cant expect him to week in and week out, espeically if it is us (not the opposition) putting him in the position to do so. In both games, Hill was forced to commit to a
pass happy" game ending drive because Raye went into ultraconservative mode (run-run-run-punt) on preceding drives. Maybe if Raye opened up the playbook, and allowed the team (pass + run) to score points early, we could knock teams out and not even allow them to come back.

Allow them to come back? The Seahawks didn't even SCORE in the second half! How did we allow them to come back haha.
Both games we have won, and both games everyone has criticized Raye for being too conservative and only winning, when we could have won beautifully, at least in theory. If all our playes worked as scripture we might have won 40 to 10 but they did not, and we won. Raye was hired by Singletary to develop a tough, conistent, run oriented offense that wins ungly but wins consistently. Raye wants to pound you until you start to sag a little in the third and fourth quarters. That is how the Jimmy Raye offense is going to work. Today it worked wonderfully because we won. Not pretty but effective. I wanted one more TD just to give us a clear 3 score buffer. But in the end we won so it was 100% effective. Go get em Jimmy Raye.
So far, you can't argue with the results...

... besides, he only cares this much what you think.

Well, so far , so good. I see in raye's script things that make me cringe as i do in most every oc's playcalling, but what i have not seen much, if any of is turnovers. raye's offense is sucessfully beating up on the opposing team's defensive personnel while eating up clock, maintaining good field position, and allowing our defense breathers and puttin our special teams in position to be playmakers. this is, though not sexy, good football.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
f**k the wildcat its such a p***y play it doesnt f**king work throw that page of the playbook. I cant even begin to explain how much i hate the f**king wildcat

totally!
Originally posted by susweel:

Yeah this team is in the mould of Titans/Vikings/Ravens.

I have disagreed with a few of the playcalls but regardless, i realize that Raye can't appease everbody with his style.

All in all, the playcalling is ok but it there are some things that i disagree with.

-9fA
i hope as the season goes along, the play calling gets more varied as the offense settles in and the O line comes together. I think the lack of pass protection and the constant hits on hill is making it easier for Raye to dial up more runs. Well, 80 yard runs help too.
I will proablt take s**t for this but. A lot of nolans play not to lose and bend don't break s**t is still with this team. We could have gone up 17 but nope we figured were up 10 let's just not lose let's not attack like the good teams do. Idk
Share 49ersWebzone