There are 147 users in the forums

Week 1 Quotes from the Pundits

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't usually read his Monday Morning QB column because he's such an East Coast homer...but, I checked it out and lo and behold he had three positive comments on our guys. The first was that it was a "Valiant game for the Singletaries, winning at Arizona. They harassed Kurt Warner for four quarters." The other two are about Shaun Hill and Patrick Willis in his awards section at this link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/09/13/week1/2.html
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't usually read his Monday Morning QB column because he's such an East Coast homer...but, I checked it out and lo and behold he had three positive comments on our guys. The first was that it was a "Valiant game for the Singletaries, winning at Arizona. They harassed Kurt Warner for four quarters." The other two are about Shaun Hill and Patrick Willis in his awards section at this link:

Wow, pigs really do fly and h*ll has frozen over.
"with the game tied at 6 in the first half"
but at least were geting praise. bout time

i was shocked that he praised the niners because in the offseason he only mentied us only once or twice. But its really great that he acknowledged the team.
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:

i was shocked that he praised the niners because in the offseason he only mentied us only once or twice. But its really great that he acknowledged the team.

This guy could live with a league of Dallas, New England, Giants, Steelers and Eagles and thats it, yes he mentioned us for the first time in ages but look how our comments are by far the shortest of all the games, he truly hates San Fran.

Either all of you are very young (less than 18) or you have short memories. King used to be on our jock strap forever during the 90s and early 2000.

Why would he have anything good to say about us over the past 6 years? Usually National Sports reporters don't launch into praise for teams who can't get out of their own way.
Moved my post to avoid hijackin the thread

[ Edited by 5280High on Sep 15, 2009 at 09:23:53 ]
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Either all of you are very young (less than 18) or you have short memories. King used to be on our jock strap forever during the 90s and early 2000.

Why would he have anything good to say about us over the past 6 years? Usually National Sports reporters don't launch into praise for teams who can't get out of their own way.

This is true. I actually read King's column often at my old job because we were only allowed access to a number of websites and SI was one of them. This was during Nolan's debut season and he had some praise after the win over the Rams (be it that it was just as long as the one recently given). He even answered a couple of my e-mails on his column! I forgot who we lost to bad later in that season, but I sent in an e-mail complaining about Nolan. King responded by saying that Nolan was "a great football guy who knew what he was doing." ...And here we are now...
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Why do we care if Peter King chooses to acknowledge or criticize our team?
Originally posted by kray28:

Because he is so idolized by the sports community!

Originally posted by kray28:

It's not so much that we care... but it is nice to be portrayed in a positive manner in the media again, seems like its been awhile. I for one will be happy when the niners are no longer put in the same category as the Lions, Bengals, Rams, and Raiders in every article I read.
We act so insulted when writers diss our beloved team , but forget that we've done nothing to earn back their respect for what, 6 or 7 years now? Until we do show evidence that we're back, we'll continue to be viewed with skepticism, and rightfully so. Get over it and take whatever praise we get with gratitude!
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
We act so insulted when writers diss our beloved team , but forget that we've done nothing to earn back their respect for what, 6 or 7 years now? Until we do show evidence that we're back, we'll continue to be viewed with skepticism, and rightfully so. Get over it and take whatever praise we get with gratitude!

True, but this stems back from when we were good also. King has at times had a certain level of skepticism for this team. I don't know if it was said here or elsewhere, but I read that he was a huge Montana fan and he thought they did him dirty by trading him.....no link, but it was said on this board i believe.
When you win, you get talked about.

When you lose, you don't.

Why is this so hard to understand?

It is one of the cool things about winning.
he's still an a$$
Share 49ersWebzone