LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 151 users in the forums

Does the Signing of Eric Green Mean Bye-Bye to Allan Rossum?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
You have got to be kidding. Look at the stats.

- Of Kick Returners who had 20 or more returns, Rossum was SIXTH in the NFL in avg. return yardage.

- Of Punt Returners who had 15 or more returns, Rossum was SECOND in the NFL in avg return yardage.

You don't cut top 5 talent. Sorry.
You're Nuts!

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
QB(3): Hill/ Smith/ Huard
RB(4): Gore/ Coffee/ Robinson/ Norris
WR(7): Bruce/ Morgan/ Battle/ Spurlock/ Hill/ Zeigler/ Jones
TE(3): Davis/ Walker/ Pascoe
OL(10): Snyder/ Baas/ Heitmann/ Staley/ Smith/ Wragge/ Bender/ Boone/ Rachal/ Sims

DL(7): Balmer/ Smith/ Franklin/ Sopoaga/ RJF/ McDonald/ Evans
LB(9): Spikes/ Willis/ Lawson/ Haralson/ Harris/ Ulrbich/ McKillop/ Brooks/ Moore
CB(6): Nate/ Bly/ Green/ Brown/ Spencer/ Hudson
S(5): Lewis/ Goldson/ Roman/ Smith/ Taylor

ST(4): Jennnings/ Nedney/ Lee/ Rossum

thats 58 players, who i see as a shot at making the team.

2 likely will be PUP'd, McDonald and Jones, leaving 56 and 3 cuts left, obviously, i see 1 OL, 1 CB and 1 LB being cut, so theres no reason we cant keep Rossum and Spurlock at all.

we cant keep 7 wrs
He signed a 1 year deal, there's a good chance he gets cut.
OL(10): Snyder/ Baas/ Heitmann/ Staley/ Smith/ Wragge/ Bender/ Boone/ Rachal/ Sims

LB(9): Spikes/ Willis/ Lawson/ Haralson/ Harris/ Ulrbich/ McKillop/ Brooks/ Moore

2 likely will be PUP'd, McDonald and Jones, leaving 56 and 3 cuts left, obviously, i see 1 OL, 1 CB and 1 LB being cut, so theres no reason we cant keep Rossum and Spurlock at all.

The new Niners' question: Who did we draft in the first round this year? What ever happened to him?
why is everyone in such a hurry to cut A. Rossum? Did he not prove that he was a valuable asset to the team with his return abilities. Look at the average starting position for the offense while he was healthy and when he was injured. There is a big difference. Rossum won't be cut, at least he shouldn't be unless another player on the team can perform the return duties BETTER than Rossum
Originally posted by TonyMantana:
So you two think the 49ers have the luxury on their roster to carry a potential game changer.

fixt.
[ Edited by doodle on Aug 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM ]
I don't think Eric Green signing kicks Rossum off of the team.

On a side note could you imagine Spurlock and Rossum in the enzone together returning kicks.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
i hope not
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

we cant keep 7 wrs

lol and none of them is crabtree edit: didn't read the last sentence, nvm

I don't know, I think if anyone takes Rossum's spot it will be Spurlock if he proves to be valuable to the "taser" as well as the return game.
[ Edited by teeohh on Aug 20, 2009 at 7:30 PM ]

• Veteran
Not saying we will or won't keep him, but to say do we have the talent to keep a guy just for special teams. The real question is do we have the talent not to. Do we have the offensive firepower to pass up any extra yards a good returner can get us over the yardage an average or below average returner can get us.

The worst your offense the more important field position is.
Rossum only goes if they keep Spurlock and make him KR.
NO!!!!!!

Not happening, Rossum is too valuable in the return game to kick to the curb, we'd be stupid to do it IMO, the field position is key, and im not sold on Zeigler or Sheets or any one else who isnt as expericned as Rossum is.

I think Battle or Clements on PR and D. Walker and J.Hill on KR. all of these players also contibute somewhere else as a member of the squad

The hole you are digging just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Maybe you should quit while you are behind?

Rossum is the best return guy we've had since I don't know when. He makes our special teams BETTER. None of the guys you mentioned do that. He is proven and can be an emergency CB to boot.

Pretty much every point you made was a fail. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read them. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
NO!!!!!!

Not happening, Rossum is too valuable in the return game to kick to the curb, we'd be stupid to do it IMO, the field position is key, and im not sold on Zeigler or Sheets or any one else who isnt as expericned as Rossum is.

I think Battle or Clements on PR and D. Walker and J.Hill on KR. all of these players also contibute somewhere else as a member of the squad

The hole you are digging just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Maybe you should quit while you are behind?

Rossum is the best return guy we've had since I don't know when. He makes our special teams BETTER. None of the guys you mentioned do that. He is proven and can be an emergency CB to boot.

Pretty much every point you made was a fail. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read them. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

some people just don't know when to quit. If he thinks any of those guys can compete with Rossum in getting better field position then wow just wow.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Rossum only goes if they keep Spurlock and make him KR.

why get rid of Rossum if they keep Spurlock? Why not keep both and have both of them as KR's? Seems like a dangerous duo to me.
So you two think the 49ers have the luxury on their roster to carry a player who only contributes on special teams. They already have a K, Punter and long snapper

well if we keep Sheets he is only gonna what return kicks, he wont play in at RB with Gore, Coffee and Robinson ahead of him.

and Zeigler, same, he wouldnt play ahead of Bruce, Morgan, Jones(when healthy), Battle and Spurlock.

So yeah, we need to keep the 4 ST'ers that we have.

sorry disagree IMO zeiger would be in front of both battle and spurlock.
Share 49ersWebzone