There are 229 users in the forums

Whomever the starting qb is gonna be the guinea for the Oline

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Whomever the starting qb is gonna be the guinea for the Oline

The past few years, I couldn't help but notice that the starting qb at the start of the seasons where later injured/replaced because of our oline fails.

Is this another year, where in case, it doesn't matter again who our starter for the season is because our Oline still friggin sucks, or do you think they have improved the oline.....somehow?

Your thoughts.......

on the next Montel.
Gotta wait til the season starts and see it in my opinion. Smith is an upgrade at RT but hopefully the rest of the guys improved and can be a much better unit. No way to tell til we see it live and in color. They have given up the most sacks in the NFL over the last 2 seasons so it's more than just the RT position that needs to step it up.
If history holds true, then Alex will start the year off... struggle behind a porous OL and a scheme that is yet to be acclimated to. His receivers will drop 20% of the passes, and fans will blindly be screaming for Alex's blood. Then Mike will feel forced to put Hill in after changes are made to the porous OL and the team begins to figured out the scheme... and everything will run on smoothly enough vs sub-par teams to get us to a sub-par record.

Originally posted by oldman9er:
If history holds true, then Alex will start the year off... struggle behind a porous OL and a scheme that is yet to be acclimated to. His receivers will drop 20% of the passes, and fans will blindly be screaming for Alex's blood. Then Mike will feel forced to put Hill in after changes are made to the porous OL and the team begins to figured out the scheme... and everything will run on smoothly enough vs sub-par teams to get us to a sub-par record.

you're joking but you have a point.

(hears the roar of Hill supporters)
I hope you're wrong in hopes that our OL can gel quickly and stay healthy.

I hope Marvel holds up...he was a beast and hope he still is. I just saw tape on him from the 2004 Giants vs Steelers on the NFL Network, he man-handled Umenyiora the entire game.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Haha, truth is, I think this scheme will be quickly adapted by all. Only concern could be Marvel Smith at RT, but he's been around a long time... seems genuinely thrilled to come back to the WC to play for SF... and claims that his back really feels great this time. Maiocco indicated that this scheme is so much more player-friendly in terms of learning.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Actually, the roar should be from Smith supporters. I think Singletary is well aware of this trend and precisely for this reason will not award Alex the starting role at the beginning of the season. Alex is a guy who needs to be entirely comfortable with an offense before being able to perform. He also can't afford any immediate setbacks if he's ever going to reach his potential as a Niner. Hill on the other hand seems better at just making due with what he's got. Smith appears to have the bigger upside, but there is still no reason to rush him. Singletary's a shrewd guy, so I expect he'll put Hill at the risky spot with a new offense early on, and Smith will continue to mature until until he's needed, at which the oline will be established and he'll be ready to come in and impress.
We can only hope that Rayes blocking schemes are not as crappy as Martz's.I know we won't be doing the 7 step drops as much so that should cut down on the sacks by a good 10-15 just for that reason.On paper the line looks solid,but until they start a game we do not know for sure what we have.If our line plays good,we should have a good year.
Perhaps whoever starts will be the catalyst for the O-line to gel faster. A solid QB who can get his passes out quickly to his receivers can do that kind of thing for a team.
There is just no way a Raye offense will give up as many sacks as a Martz offense.

Originally posted by BrodieFan:
There is just no way a Raye offense will give up as many sacks as a Martz offense.

This.

I understand you're joking, but that was just a bunch of excuses for Alex Smith, as usual.
I don't know how much this will have an effect, but keep in mind the players no longer have two O-line coaches to listen to. Our O-line played much better once George Warhop was fired along with Mike Nolan. In some level, the confusion was gone. I think Chris Foerster did a very good job last season. (Especially with so many young, inexperienced players.)
Not the usual problem, because:

1. Martz is gone;

2. Warhop is gone;

3. JJ is gone (hopefully Sims is next to go);

4. Nolan is gone (therefore Baas and Rachal get playing time);

5. Raye is implementing a running game, so we're not just dropping back and praying; and

6. Sing is just not going to let the qb get killed, or keep turning over the ball.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Not the usual problem, because:

1. Martz is gone;

2. Warhop is gone;

3. JJ is gone (hopefully Sims is next to go);

4. Nolan is gone (therefore Baas and Rachal get playing time);

5. Raye is implementing a running game, so we're not just dropping back and praying; and

6. Sing is just not going to let the qb get killed, or keep turning over the ball.

exactly!
Share 49ersWebzone