LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 318 users in the forums

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I agree with you Mospeed. I still support Hill but I agree.
Originally posted by Mospeed:
I don't think Hill fans get the big picture. Hill is a 29 year old career backup. Theres a reason why Mike Tice didn't play him, theres a reason why Norv Turner didn't play him and theres a reason why Mike Martz didn't start him. This is a guy who has reached his maximum potential. he's not going to get any better. So where does this leave us as an organization? Are we gonna continue to ride him for years to come? I mean, he's got a good record so maybe he'll continue to start for us for the rest of his career? How does that sound?

I mean, we all wanna see our team make the playoffs and if Hill gives us the best chance at getting there then so be it but where do we go from there? The whole notion of having a game manager under center was only solidified because we're suppose to have a top tier defense. But when our defense is giving up 45 points to a sub par team and we have a career backup at our quarterback position where does that leave us? What will our future be at the quarterback position? Is Alex Smith the answer? I know he has bad statistics but anyone who's seen him play knows he throws an accurate football. But how will we know if he's our future if we leave him on the bench when he's 100% healthy?

I have nothing against Shaun Hill but I just can't see this guy as our franchise guy going into the next few years. I know a lot of Hill fans will turn around and say that Nate Davis is the future but how do we know? He only got a chance to throw against 5th stringers, the same 5th stringers who let Coffee run circles around them and we've seen what Coffee does against 1st string defenses... Alex Smith can play and in the past he hasn't had the talent or the coaching that he has around him now. If Hill is going to continue to stand in his squatty stance and make himself 5'9 so he can no longer see over his linemen and then run into a guard and get sacked then I say we need to put in Smith.

Singletary want a game manager who won't throw too many interceptions. Alex will get his chance if a) Hill gets hurt b) Hill turns the ball over too much c) we are out of contention.

Singletary believes Hill gives us the best chance to win right now. The future will take care of itself.
I don't think Hill fans get the big picture. Hill is a 29 year old career backup. Theres a reason why Mike Tice didn't play him, theres a reason why Norv Turner didn't play him and theres a reason why Mike Martz didn't start him. This is a guy who has reached his maximum potential. he's not going to get any better. So where does this leave us as an organization? Are we gonna continue to ride him for years to come? I mean, he's got a good record so maybe he'll continue to start for us for the rest of his career? How does that sound?

I mean, we all wanna see our team make the playoffs and if Hill gives us the best chance at getting there then so be it but where do we go from there? The whole notion of having a game manager under center was only solidified because we're suppose to have a top tier defense. But when our defense is giving up 45 points to a sub par team and we have a career backup at our quarterback position where does that leave us? What will our future be at the quarterback position? Is Alex Smith the answer? I know he has bad statistics but anyone who's seen him play knows he throws an accurate football. But how will we know if he's our future if we leave him on the bench when he's 100% healthy?

I have nothing against Shaun Hill but I just can't see this guy as our franchise guy going into the next few years. I know a lot of Hill fans will turn around and say that Nate Davis is the future but how do we know? He only got a chance to throw against 5th stringers, the same 5th stringers who let Coffee run circles around them and we've seen what Coffee does against 1st string defenses... Alex Smith can play and in the past he hasn't had the talent or the coaching that he has around him now. If Hill is going to continue to stand in his squatty stance and make himself 5'9 so he can no longer see over his linemen and then run into a guard and get sacked then I say we need to put in Smith.

Atlanta is not a sub par team, but I see what you are saying, and that is how I feel too. With Hill, we are just running in place. No one claims that Smith is a sure fire thing, but we have to find out what we have with him, because despite all of the from the "football geniuses", we do not know. To me, he looked much more confident and although rusty, he played every bit as good as Hill in the preseason, and showed more pocket presence than Hill. The question is do you risk the future to maybe make the playoffs this year with a guy that has probably reached his potential, or do we try to develop the guy that still has room to grow? I think we are good enough to win the west with whichever QB we put in there, Smith just makes the team a little more dynamic.
Originally posted by Squirrel:
I wonder what kind of legal ramifications there would be if I were to send a dead duck to Shaun Hill, care of 49ers Headquarters?

I think you will be ok.....try it out.

*one less annoying webzone poster, yes!*
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Dblj55:
If the offense plays as bad next week as it did against Atlanta, Sing might make the change at QB. I hope I never have to come back to this thread and Hill and the offense start to gel and 9ers keep winning. Man, these bye weeks sure seem to last a long time.

Hmm, I wonder how Alex Smith performs without Gore.

Probably as good as Hill.

I don't know, Hill had some very impressive drives and had a damn good game against the Vikings. Alex...he has a highlight real that keeps looping his 3 great plays in the NFL.

You didn't watch the Vikings game did you? That was a horrible game at QB. Absolutely atrocious QB play for the entire 1st half and a small handful of good plays in the 2nd. The only reason we're even in that game is Defense and special teams.

Okay...he wasn't Manning, but horrible? atrocious? I think you are talking about the oline/wr/te/rb's??? you obviously missed that game...

I remember many droped balls, penetration on literally every other play, no QB in the NFL would've looked stellar against that, get a hold of yourself.

Niner QB's can't have any excuses anymore. That dictum got set a few years back.

[ Edited by BHulman on Oct 16, 2009 at 15:59:18 ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I wonder what kind of legal ramifications there would be if I were to send a dead duck to Shaun Hill, care of 49ers Headquarters?

Annoying because I'm expressing my opinions? How narrow-minded of you. After all, Heaven forbid anyone express an opinion that differs from yours.

I'm sorry to have offended you and your idol, Captain Wounded Duck.

Annoying because I'm expressing my opinions? How narrow-minded of you. After all, Heaven forbid anyone express an opinion that differs from yours.

throwing out words like Captain Wounded Duck, Posting pictures of Ducks and as well as posting the idea of mailing a dead duck to 9er HQ, imo, not a mature way of expressing opinion on a 9er board.....now if you are indeed 10 years old, then I do apologize.....so I'm sorry, carry on.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 16, 2009 at 16:03:55 ]
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

Singletary want a game manager who won't throw too many interceptions. Alex will get his chance if a) Hill gets hurt b) Hill turns the ball over too much c) we are out of contention.

Singletary believes Hill gives us the best chance to win right now. The future will take care of itself.

All 3 could happen.

throwing out words like Captain Wounded Duck, Posting pictures of Ducks and as well as posting the idea of mailing a dead duck to 9er HQ, imo, not a mature way of expressing opinion on a 9er board.....now if you are indeed 10 years old, then I do apologize.....so I'm sorry, carry on.

First of all, it's a minor thing, but I didn't post the picture of the dead duck. I quoted the message, but that's beside the point.

I guess humor and sarcasm isn't allowed, then? Get a grip. You're not the big dog on the boards. If I want to express my disgust of the starting quarterback by coming up with stupid names and making jokes about it, then that's my right until a mod tells me to knock it off. If you want to keep stroking Capt. Wounded Duck's and your ego, that's your right.

Now, it is my right as a person to have my own opinions. I'm of the opinion that Hill's throws are some of the ugliest I have ever seen.

Now, as to your puerile comment: "now if you are indeed 10 years old, then I do apologize.....so I'm sorry, carry on." It's what one would expect from someone who clearly can't come up with a decent response to my post. It's quite sad, actually. Here we have this guy posting on some message board, proclaiming to be the end-all-be-all authority on quarterback play, and yet, all he can do is whip out the tired and pathetic "you must be 10 years old" flame.
I think Singletary and Raye were wise not to start Smith at the beginning of the season, and they will wisely be cautious to not put him in too soon now. Wise? Yes, because we all know that whenever Smith makes a mistake the fans will crucify him, Sing, Raye, McC, etc. Hill played well enough last year to be given the chance to succeed this year. Starting him was viewed well by the media and the fans. Now, if Hill falters (even more than he has so far) bringing in Smith will seem like the smart move. Smith might not be judged so harshly if he is brought in after Hill failed already. This is good for Smith and for the team. Plus, they have given Smith more time to learn the Raye's offense.

I think Singletary has played this well, and will do so going forward. If Hill succeeds, awesome. If Hll falters and we lose another game or two, put Smith in and give him a chance to show what he's got.

First of all, it's a minor thing, but I didn't post the picture of the dead duck. I quoted the message, but that's beside the point.

I guess humor and sarcasm isn't allowed, then? Get a grip. You're not the big dog on the boards. If I want to express my disgust of the starting quarterback by coming up with stupid names and making jokes about it, then that's my right until a mod tells me to knock it off. If you want to keep stroking Capt. Wounded Duck's and your ego, that's your right.

Now, it is my right as a person to have my own opinions. I'm of the opinion that Hill's throws are some of the ugliest I have ever seen.

Now, as to your puerile comment: "now if you are indeed 10 years old, then I do apologize.....so I'm sorry, carry on." It's what one would expect from someone who clearly can't come up with a decent response to my post. It's quite sad, actually. Here we have this guy posting on some message board, proclaiming to be the end-all-be-all authority on quarterback play, and yet, all he can do is whip out the tired and pathetic "you must be 10 years old" flame.

dude, seriously read what you just posted....and go back through your post history, as well as mine then tell me who comes off more as a 10 year old...

also, yes, you do have a right to post what ever the hell you want....I didn't say you couldn't.....I'm not Mod, but what I did say is that it is annoying....so if you want to annoy me (and maybe others who find it annoying) then carry on, it comes along with your posting privileges, apparently.
a couple of more LIES some of these posters try to spew..... it is hilarious...

I read someone posted that if "Hill's Offense continues to struggle on third down bla bla bla" Hill's offense???? THIS IS RAYE'S OFFENSE!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, STOP POSTING!

also we have another LAIR who is trying to give off the impression that our Home Crowd Booed Hill off the field, again...

EVERYONE GOT BOOED THAT DAY!! The Defense got Booed, The Offense got Booed, the dropped passes caused Boos....the dumb moves made by Morgan and Bly caused Boos....HILL getting sacked in 2 seconds caused boos....

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

but continue the because Shaun Hill is the 49er starter....where as fans who have any sense (like some in this thread) know that our problem starts first and foremost at the most important area for a football team, the trenches.

I can't wait till I see my 49er starting QB play in 2 weeks....and root my team on....as well as Root on my backup QB who is doing a fine, by assisting his Starting QB, Shaun Hill, at getting ready for opposing defenses....

Great Job Shaun..... and Great Job Alex....

Excuse me, but if everyone was booed off the field that day, then how does that not include Shaun Hill? He got booed after awful passes and was booed off the field on several drives along with the offense. He deserved to be booed. I booed him from my TV screen, and let me be clear that I didn't have a problem with Hill starting until he's regressed to the point he's gotten now, and put up the stinker he did. I vented my frustration aloud because that kind of play is unacceptable for a starter at his age and experience level in the NFL. And again, just because Hill was not the sole recipient of boos does not make the statement, "He was booed off the field" a falsity. Not at all.

Don't put all the blame on the OL. They do deserve some of it, but I honestly feel Hill has been figured out. The reason is this: Look, he was sacked a LOT last year and still played well, making him deserving to be the starter this year. He's being sacked at almost the same rate this year, yet.. he looks far, far worse. Can anyone accept this at least?

Another poster brought up QB's who are still having success despite the sacks they're taking, such as Rodgers who's been sacked more than anyone in the entire NFL.

Like I said before, I thought Hill earned his shot, but I'm not going to make excuses for him if he doesn't play up to acceptable standards. He needs to play better, and HE KNOWS he needs to play better. He was frustrated with himself -- he addmited it -- and he should have been.

I read someone posted that if "[b]Hill's Offense continues to struggle on third down bla bla bla" Hill's offense???? THIS IS RAYE'S OFFENSE!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, STOP POSTING!
[/b]
also we have another LAIR who is trying to give off the impression that our Home Crowd Booed Hill off the field, again...

EVERYONE GOT BOOED THAT DAY!! The Defense got Booed, The Offense got Booed, the dropped passes caused Boos....the dumb moves made by Morgan and Bly caused Boos....HILL getting sacked in 2 seconds caused boos....

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

but continue the because Shaun Hill is the 49er starter....where as fans who have any sense (like some in this thread) know that our problem starts first and foremost at the most important area for a football team, the trenches.

I can't wait till I see my 49er starting QB play in 2 weeks....and root my team on....as well as Root on my backup QB who is doing a fine, by assisting his Starting QB, Shaun Hill, at getting ready for opposing defenses....

So I don't know WTF I'm talking about??

Let me dumb down my statement for those who no comprende-SHAUN HILL RUNS JIMMY RAYE'S OFFENSE(HE IS THE QB)and is not doing a very good job at it.The NFL stats don't lie so go on that.The problem starts in the trenches with Hill at QB but not when Smith is at QB right????

If no improvement soon there needs to be a change(Smith or Davis) because

I WANT WINNERS

You rant SO MUCH you're all twisted up in your own BS.So you live your life on the zone so what that's your trip,doesn't mean you run this zone so don't tell me or anybody else to stop posting!
Originally posted by Super5:

I read someone posted that if "[b]Hill's Offense continues to struggle on third down bla bla bla" Hill's offense???? THIS IS RAYE'S OFFENSE!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, STOP POSTING!
[/b]

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

Let me dumb down my statement for those who no comprende-SHAUN HILL RUNS JIMMY RAYE'S OFFENSE(HE IS THE QB)and is not doing a very good job at it.The NFL stats don't lie so go on that.The problem starts in the trenches with Hill at QB but not when Smith is at QB right????

I WANT WINNERS

You rant SO MUCH you're all twisted up in your own BS.So you live your life on the zone so what that's your trip,doesn't mean you run this zone so don't tell me or anybody else to stop posting!

Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by Super5:

[/b]

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

I WANT WINNERS

intreseting when hill does bad its the OC fault but when smith does bad its his fault? makes no sense
Share 49ersWebzone