LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 155 users in the forums

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Gabie
I bought a Nate Davis jersey this year ha! I just bought all the jerseys they were selling when I had some cash, so hopefully this argument is over next year and its him
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by cools:
That should build up some good chemistry, which he also had with Jones in TC
Those two, along with Morgan are the future of this team at WR

Hope all 4 of em are playing well soon

Im not saying Smith will be the savior at QB
how fast he can run or how hard he can throw wont matter if he
continues to be scared to throw the ball

But to echo what has been said, Hill is not cutting it, his noodle arm, poor footwork, lack of poise and inabilty to read defenses is apparent

give it a rest people...if he was all those things HE WOULD NOT HAVE WON THE STARTING JOB........and more importantly HE WOULD NOT STILL REMAIN THE STARTER...

God, some of you are just d__b

Not worth it bro. These are the same people that were hiding in the closet with their Alex Smith jerseys, just waiting for Hill to fail so that they could come out with the pitch forks and baseball bats.

Where was this thread when Hill drove us down the field IN Arizona for the gamewinning touchdown ? Or when he lit Seattle's defense up with his ARM to burn 9 minutes in the second half of Week 2 ? Or when he torched Minnesota's top notch defense to give us the go ahead TD in week 3 ?

I didnt see one "bench Hill", "start Alex", etc. threads during those 3 weeks. Now, the reality is that DURING those 3 weeks, the theme has always been the same......FIRE RAYE. It was apparent from the start that the playcalling was horrendous, and that Raye was setting us up for disaster by depending on the defense too much. Well, it finally backfired. First, we got a taste with Favre's last minute TD, and then Atlanta wiped us off the map.

I love Niner fans. Inconsistency at its finest. No one had any problems with Hill at the end op last year, or the beginning of this year; he plays crappy for one week, and they ACTUALLY want Alex Smith.....yes the same bust Alex Smith...in at starter because he looked good in practice ?

Hell, even I admit that Hill is not the future, but putting Alex in at QB is giving up on the season........

Fans started to show disappointment in the beginning of the Vikings game when he missed several throws he should've made. He was fortunate to get us a lead late in the game, but hey, I didn't have a problem with his play overall that day -- it was fine. However, the disappointment was elevated when he couldn't get us anything -- not even a field goal -- against a horrendous St. Louis defense, at home, in the first half. Then, at home again, he was embarrassed and booed off the field against Atlanta, a team that does NOT have a great defense. This is why fans have turned on him so quickly. Why can't Hill torch even the worst defenses? This is a big, ringing, question.

I don't think people are at all sitting around "waiting for Hill to fail." But rather, waiting for him to do something special.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Running some numbers on Hill. Take it for what it is worth:
1) 179.6 Passing Yards per game- 27th in NFL
2) 80.7 Passer Rating- 23rd in NFL
3) 5 TD Passes- Tied for 20th in NFL
4) 9 Passes of 20+ yards- Tied for 22nd in the NFL
5) 6.2 yards per pass attempt- 25th in NFL
6) 56.3% completion percentage- 30th in NFL
7) 144 Passing attempts- 16th in the NFL
8) 26.4 of passes completed create first down-32nd in the NFL

The number that jumped out to me was the number of pass attempts, 144. Hill has thrown the ball in the middle area for starting QB's (16th in the NFL), but we are 27th in yards per game.

This is not special.

But to echo what has been said, Hill is not cutting it, his noodle arm, poor footwork, lack of poise and inabilty to read defenses is apparent

give it a rest people...if he was all those things HE WOULD NOT HAVE WON THE STARTING JOB........and more importantly HE WOULD NOT STILL REMAIN THE STARTER...

Not worth it bro. These are the same people that were hiding in the closet with their Alex Smith jerseys, just waiting for Hill to fail so that they could come out with the pitch forks and baseball bats.

Where was this thread when Hill drove us down the field IN Arizona for the gamewinning touchdown ? Or when he lit Seattle's defense up with his ARM to burn 9 minutes in the second half of Week 2 ? Or when he torched Minnesota's top notch defense to give us the go ahead TD in week 3 ?

I didnt see one "bench Hill", "start Alex", etc. threads during those 3 weeks. Now, the reality is that DURING those 3 weeks, the theme has always been the same......FIRE RAYE. It was apparent from the start that the playcalling was horrendous, and that Raye was setting us up for disaster by depending on the defense too much. Well, it finally backfired. First, we got a taste with Favre's last minute TD, and then Atlanta wiped us off the map.

I love Niner fans. Inconsistency at its finest. No one had any problems with Hill at the end op last year, or the beginning of this year; he plays crappy for one week, and they ACTUALLY want Alex Smith.....yes the same bust Alex Smith...in at starter because he looked good in practice ?

Hell, even I admit that Hill is not the future, but putting Alex in at QB is giving up on the season........

The reason people are talking now is because S.Hill up to this point really hasn't played all that well save for a couple drives and in the ATL game his inabilities were exposed.The 49ers rank last or at the bottom in many offensive categories and the main reason they're 3-2 is because of the Defense and if you or anybody else can't see these facts then y'all are delusional.If the 49ers fall behind any good offensive team then it's gonna be over.If Hill's offense continues to lead the NFL in 3 and outs without improvement and if there is no change,THAT will be giving up on the season............
Originally posted by Kolohe:

^^^^I have to agree with this. Well said!!!

Pro Hill,nuff' said.....
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Super5:

The reason people are talking now is because S.Hill up to this point really hasn't played all that well save for a couple drives and in the ATL game his inabilities were exposed.The 49ers rank last or at the bottom in many offensive categories and the main reason they're 3-2 is because of the Defense and if you or anybody else can't see these facts then y'all are delusional.If the 49ers fall behind any good offensive team then it's gonna be over.If Hill's offense continues to lead the NFL in 3 and outs without improvement and if there is no change,THAT will be giving up on the season............

Hill may not be "the one", but at least he's come up big on more than one occasion when needed. Is his play average ? Sure. Did I expect more ? Sure. But the fact that he LED us to victory over Arizona (and Minn. if Raye wasnt a jackass), not to mention his time consuming drive vs. Seattle tips him over to the "serviceable" category in my book.

He can and HAS won for us. He should remain starter for the rest of the season, barring any injury.

Alex as starter means season over, and this well groomed defense goes to waste.

Hill may not be "the one", but at least he's come up big on more than one occasion when needed. Is his play average ? Sure. Did I expect more ? Sure. But the fact that he LED us to victory over Arizona (and Minn. if Raye wasnt a jackass), not to mention his time consuming drive vs. Seattle tips him over to the "serviceable" category in my book.

He can and HAS won for us. He should remain starter for the rest of the season, barring any injury.

seemed to do ok in 06 with worse (much worse o line) and worse WR and no p willy justin smith nate clements etc

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Oct 15, 2009 at 19:55:57 ]
  • cools
  • Veteran
this board likes to classify someone as on the bandwagon or a hater, Im niether, and I hope Hill or Smith succeed, just offering my opinion

Hill has not played well.
O no, Alex smith threw one TD and eleven interceptions in his rookie year... i dont remember how he played but im gonna come to the conclusion that he's a terrible inaccurate slow and clunky quarterback on the sole basis that his stats suck and that Hill has a better winning record because I like looking at stats more than watching football...

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

seemed to do good in 06 with worse (much worse o line) and worse WR and no p willy justin smith nate clements etc

Having no defense, yes. But not necessarily a worse OL in '06.

Our OL is currently giving up 3.2 sacks/game.
In 2005 as a rookie, Alex was sacked at a rate of 4 sacks/game in 7 starts.
In 2006 Alex was sacked at a rate of 2.2 sacks/game.
In 2007 before he got hurt (by a sack), he was being sacked at a rate of 3 sacks/game.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Mospeed:
O no, Alex smith threw one TD and eleven interceptions in his rookie year... i dont remember how he played but im gonna come to the conclusion that he's a terrible inaccurate slow and clunky quarterback on the sole basis that his stats suck and that Hill has a better winning record because I like looking at stats more than watching football...

If you were actually "watching football", you wouldnt have made that post......

• TheHitman85
  • Info N/A
now that was a good read! well done MadDog
Say what you will, but it doesn't not matter who is at QB - Shaun Hill, Alex Smith, Nate Davis, a first round selection in 2010. If this organization can not find a way to improve the offensive line, IT WILL NOT MATTER.

The FO has failed to address this problem multiple times in free agency and via the draft.

I think this debate is really frivolous.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Hill should be benched if he plays like this again in Houston.

Let's take a look at the Super Bowl winners since 1993.

'93-Aikman
'94-Aikman
'95-Young
'96-Favre
'97-Aikman
'98-Elway
'99-Elway
'00-Warner
'01-Dilfer
'02-Brady
'03-Johnson
'04-Brady
'05-Brady
'06-Roethlesberger
'07-Manning
'08-Manning
'09-Roethlesberger
'10-Probably Brees or one of the Mannings.

This is a QB-driven league. Being content with a game-manager is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We should try to emulate the ONE team that did it (2000 Ravens)? They had arguably one of the best defenses EVER. We don't. I think Singletary needs to get his head out of his ass and realize that game-managers don't win Super Bowls. So, if Hill can't get his act together by Houston, he SHOULD be benched, whether it's Alex or Nate that takes over doesn't really matter. At least they have talent.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by B650:

'93-Aikman
'94-Aikman
'95-Young
'96-Favre
'97-Aikman
'98-Elway
'99-Elway
'00-Warner
'01-Dilfer
'02-Brady
'03-Johnson
'04-Brady
'05-Brady
'06-Roethlesberger
'07-Manning
'08-Manning
'09-Roethlesberger

This is a QB-driven league. Being content with a game-manager is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We should try to emulate the ONE team that did it (2000 Ravens)? They had arguably one of the best defenses EVER. We don't. I think Singletary needs to get his head out of his ass and realize that game-managers don't win Super Bowls. So, if Hill can't get his act together by Houston, he SHOULD be benched, whether it's Alex or Nate that takes over doesn't really matter. At least they have talent.

Agreed. Singletary is trying to relive his memories (with the Bears) through the Niners. Just doesnt happen in this day and age.........
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:

'93-Aikman
'94-Aikman
'95-Young
'96-Favre
'97-Aikman
'98-Elway
'99-Elway
'00-Warner
'01-Dilfer
'02-Brady
'03-Johnson
'04-Brady
'05-Brady
'06-Roethlesberger
'07-Manning
'08-Manning
'09-Roethlesberger

Agreed. Singletary is trying to relive his memories (with the Bears) through the Niners. Just doesnt happen in this day and age.........

It's true. Plus, you get a big-time QB in there and it kills a bunch of birds with one stone. Steve Young didn't have the greatest OLs, but he made them look good by being mobile, getting rid of the ball quickly, being able to beat the blitz, etc. Plus, you have a good QB (one who isn't going three-and-out every series), it makes your defense play better because they aren't tired. The WRs look better because they don't need 10 yards of separation in order for the QB to hit them. The main issue on this team right now is QB. QB. QB.
Share 49ersWebzone