Frank Gore Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Morgan49:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I don't think he'll get an offer.

From anyone? Or just the 49ers?

Anyone. He's better than a lot of RBs out there, but I just think his age will make him undesirable to most teams. Hope i'm wrong. Love me some frank.

Anyone. He's better than a lot of RBs out there, but I just think his age will make him undesirable to most teams. Hope i'm wrong. Love me some frank.

My feelings too, unfortunately.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

My feelings too, unfortunately.

He'll probably go unsigned during the initial phase of FA, but after the draft and some teams realizing their RB situation is less than ideal (or an injury happens during training camp), and they'll bring him in. Like you guys said, he's better than multiple starting RBs right now.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Frank could go to the Steelers for a shot at a championship. The backup there is Ridley. I could see Gore joining as a mentor to running backs there, especially if Pitt can't re-sign LeVeon Bell.

Their backup is James Conner, who they like and who their fanbase is friggin obsessed with. They only brought in Ridley because Conner went on IR.

Frank's challenge IMO is that nobody is going to consider him as a #1, and he doesn't have a place anywhere as a #3 because he doesn't play special teams. The issue with that is that RB is fungible enough that I just don't think there are many (if any) teams that are ever majorly in the market for a one-year patch job at RB #2.

Sadly I think his best case scenario for him playing again is that he keeps his training up and is ready during the year in case a team with a clear RB#1 and a situational RB#2 loses their #1 for the year, and wants a steadier presence to replace him (think the Cardinals losing David Johnson last year, and trading for ADP because they didn't have an every down back behind him).
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
It really depends. The biggest thing he has going for him is his leadership in the locker room. If he is willing to take a pay cut and accept a role where he doesn't get the ball a lot I could see Dallas. He could mentor Zeke, show him the right way ... Etc. That team is in need of leadership too and is good enough to potentially be a contender. Frank gets a title shot. Dallas gets a leader.

I could see ... gulp ... Seattle, NE possible if Dion leaves and he signs super cheap, Buffalo as a backup to McCoy is often injured, Oakland if Lynch re-retires, GB could take a different path than normal with a new GM, Darkwa is a FA for Giants (this would be his best shot at carries), Arizona as a backup to DJ ... there are plenty of options as a backup, locker room guy.

How likely? Who knows. NFL is weird with old vets. Despite being better than many, some vets just get ignored because they want to play a kid who isn't as good because "potential."
Honestly, if I were a team looking to make a run, I'd absolutely sign Frank Gore. If the team has great run blocking, he can still be effective because he can find those holes and can still handle pass pro duties. I hope he can retire on his own terms and not because he goes unsigned.
Seattle would be stupid to not try to sign him, but i dont think Frank would sign in Seattle. Too much red and gold flows through him.
It's astounding that in todays NFL that this guy is still going and effective at 34 years old.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Seattle would be stupid to not try to sign him, but i dont think Frank would sign in Seattle. Too much red and gold flows through him.

If it's his only offer he would. Rice did, but he never was that loyal.
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
It's astounding that in todays NFL that this guy is still going and effective at 34 years old.

It blows my mind. Dudes is remarkable.
It will be interesting to see what happens next. He absolutely HAS to play one more year. What, he's 80 something yards from 4th all time?

• jcs
  • Veteran

He'll get an offer, Frank almost rushed for a 1,000 yards this year. Still the best pass blocking RB in the NFL too.
Frank will get offers, he'll come cheap and he won't cause drama by demanding a larger role like Adrian Peterson did. Frank has always embraced competition dating back to when he decided to go to Miami.

Besides that, any team looking into him will work back on his film from the end of the season and it helps that he put out great film down the stretch. The film from his last game vs Houston is especially meaningful because he repeatedly turned the corner against defensive backs, so it's proof that he's still got enough speed to be effective outside the box.

Seattle and Philly were reportedly interested at the trade deadline. Seattle will be interested again for sure, Pete already came out and said they need to fix their run game, however I don't think Frank would go there unless he had no other alternative. Their OL sucks too. Philly ended up trading for Ajayi, who has been real good for them, however Blount is on a one year deal so they might still be interested. However, Ajayi is pretty clearly their lead guy now.

Indy remains a good fit if they are interested. Despite what their owner implied about drafting Saquon, their GM does have full control over personnel and he loves what Frank brings as far as being a true pro on and off the field. I think Ballard more than anyone would recognize that Frank spent most of the year running behind a random bunch of undrafted backups. Their playcalling was very vanilla too, especially with a backup QB who was learning their system on the fly. I would expect Ballard to fix all that this offseason, plus they are getting Luck back so it is setting up to be a very attractive situation for Frank if they bring him back.

I think we should be interested too. Getting a long-term RB should not be a big deal in Shanny's run scheme because of how easy it has been historically to find scheme fits late in the draft or even in the UDFA pool. I don't think we would have a problem giving Frank the lead role for a year or two. Although he made his name as a gap scheme runner, he can absolutely run outside zone, he has some film of it with Indy. His vision translates in any scheme and he gets north south as quickly and decisively as anyone in the league. Frank is a solid if not elite receiver, he's always a threat after the catch because of his ability to setup blocks. The main reason I think we wouldn't be interested is if Shanny wants a breakaway threat for his lead back. But considering how good Jimmy G is on 3rd down, it makes a ton of sense to bring in Frank, who will always keep you in a manageable down and distance, and absolutely dominate TOP.

There are a few other teams which could use someone like Frank. Detroit and GB could use a lead back and they both had recent success in signing older veterans (Boldin Det, Peppers GB). NE brought in Gillislee to handle the primary role but he fell out of favor for Rex Burkhead during the season. I'm pretty sure Frank at any age is better than Rex Burkhead. NYG is interesting too, if Frank is willing to take a leap of faith that they can jump back in to contention right away. There is still alot of talent on that team, and Frank originally committed to play at Ole Miss with Eli.

We'll see, but I'm fairly confident he will get some offers.

This stupid lesbian is gonna bring in Frank, dont believe me? just watch

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:

This stupid lesbian is gonna bring in Frank, dont believe me? just watch

naw, he'll take Hyde.
Can we please bring 1st and Gore back. Tell him he is the #2 and just pound the rock in relief. Do it. He can't cost too much. Bring Frank back!!
[ Edited by Force_Choke on Jan 6, 2018 at 12:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone